LCVG

Metroid Dread - Announced for Switch (Coming October 8th, 2021)

45 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Certainly not the Metroid I think anyone would have been expecting, but a pleasant surprise nevertheless. Visually I'm not sure I love it though.

I'd definitely like some confirmation on the development team.

It's Mercury Steam as expected. That's a good thing. They did a bang up job with the Metroid 2 Remake.

3 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Is fusion canonically Metroid 4?  I know super metroid was 3 (from the title card), but I don't remember seeing something called "metroid 4".

Correct. This is technically Metroid 5. 

I’m very interested in this, and it looks good, but there is something about this being the same price as a game like BOTW2 or Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart that is going to turn me off buying this right away. 

Similar to something like the Links Awakening remake, or their rereleases, they should be releasing this at a lower price. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I’m very interested in this, and it looks good, but there is something about this being the same price as a game like BOTW2 or Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart that is going to turn me off buying this right away. 

Similar to something like the Links Awakening remake, or their rereleases, they should be releasing this at a lower price. 

Yeah, Nintendo makes us bend over, that's for sure. I've played so many amazing games for free-$29. But almost every Nintendo game I've ever played was $39-$59. It sucks.

I can’t believe I haven’t commented on this yet.

A brand new 2D Metroid? Hell yeah, I say. Samus Returns was a fun time. My only hope is that this feels more like a modern day version of a Metroid game rather than a throw-back retro experience. There are a lot of metroid-vanias out there, and several have really raised the bar as far as what I expect from the genre.

40 minutes ago, JFo said:

I can’t believe I haven’t commented on this yet.

A brand new 2D Metroid? Hell yeah, I say. Samus Returns was a fun time. My only hope is that this feels more like a modern day version of a Metroid game rather than a throw-back retro experience. There are a lot of metroid-vanias out there, and several have really raised the bar as far as what I expect from the genre.

I agree with all of this. But watching the videos, they clearly have evolved. But I agree, so has everyone else. The bar is high.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am excited for this game. But I want to take this opportunity to bitch about Nintendo's pricing. I have played about handful of wonderful 2D Metroidvania games since my last Metroid game.

Shadow Complex

Axiom Verge

Dust

Ori 1

Ori 2

Hollow Knight

Steamdig 2

All of them were great. They all cost between $5-$40.  But I expect Metroid Dread to cost $60 for the next 3 years just because Nintendo knows I'm their bitch. It bothers me that Metroid Prime 4 will cost the same as this game.