LCVG

Alan Wake Remastered Official - (PS4/5, Xbox Family, EGS) Fall 2021 Release

A listing leaked on the Epic Game Store. Hopefully console ports are coming, too!

https://www.vg247.com/2021/06/18/alan-wake-remastered-epic-games-store-database-leak/

EpicData, a website that tracks database updates for the Epic Games Store, has revealed the existence of the Alan Wake remaster. The unannounced project, developed by creator Remedy, looks to support cloud saves, judging by the strings of code discovered.

Unfortunately, we don’t actually know anything more besides. That said, the idea of an Alan Wake remaster on the Epic Games Store is very plausible. Not only is Alan Wake a beloved game that could use a visual upgrade, the existence of the remaster also lines up with recent reports that Remedy’s next game is Alan Wake 2.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JFo said:

I know it shouldn’t be a big deal at this point, but I still find it weird seeing the cover art for this game with PlayStation branding on the box. 

It was weird seeing Control debut at a Sony conference and for them to have a marketing deal with Sony on it as well given their close ties to Microsoft in the past with both Alan Wake and Quantum Break. So, yeah I don’t blame you for still finding it strange.

• Romier S changed the title to Alan Wake Remastered Official - (PS4/5, Xbox Family, EGS) Fall 2021 Release
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, JFo said:

It’s wild that an old-ass game like this can’t hit a perfect 60 fps while running at 1440p on the current gen consoles. It’s not terrible, by any means, but still surprising. 

I'm guessing that its a moderately quick and dirty port using the old code base which was at a time when multi-threading was in its infancy back in the 360 days. Mind you, its based on the PC version but even then CPU's are in a wholly different place today versus PC's back then. It would have been a more substantial undertaking to allow that code base to take advantage of the power of modern CPU/GPU's. That they managed to introduce pretty substantial texture, fog and lighting improvements is a win. It's not at the level of a remake but its a pretty nice upgrade - especially for those who had been stuck with the 544p, sort-of-30fps 360 original.

• 1 month later...

I finished up the remaster last night. It was great to revisit and a good bit of this game still holds up really, really well. It still has an excellent story and some killer atmosphere ala Twin Peaks.

Lets get the bad out of the way first - I could really do without the camera constantly switching from my left shoulder to the right and vice versa. It forces you to have to click the right stick to move it back where you want constantly. It's probably my biggest annoyance with the game but that's been there since the original release. It's just too bad they didn't do more to correct this issue in the remaster though.

Otherwise, I think this is a pretty damned good remaster. I know some folks online have issues with the redone character models but I think they are a net positive. The new Alan Wake model in particular is just much closer to the look of the real actor so it works wonderfully. I played through the PS5 version and the framerate is an extremely stable 60fps. There are some moments of lost frames but they are damned imperceptible on the controller.

One other thing I should mention that should have been addressed - give me a damned collectible count per episode. I finished the game missing 1 Coffee Thermos and 1 Sign. There's no way for me to know where those missing collectibles are without putting up a damned guide and going one by one and I have ZERO patience to want to do that for the platinum. 

This is a no brainer if Alan Wake was a thing for you back in the day. The 360 release just got an FPS Boost update so that's an option to play at 60fps but you'll be missing out on some substantial texture upgrades and much more with this remaster. It's well worth the price, IMO. 

I will likely play through the DLC content over the next few nights since I've never played either but once they are done, it's onto Metroid Dread.

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

I will likely play through the DLC content over the next few nights since I've never played either but once they are done, it's onto Metroid Dread.

Wow, you’ve got some good gaming to look forward to.

Thanks for the impressions. I desperately want to play this, but there’s so much stuff on my plate right now. It’s hard to find the time to sneak this into the rotation. Maybe sometime after the holidays.

17 hours ago, JFo said:

Wow, you’ve got some good gaming to look forward to.

Thanks for the impressions. I desperately want to play this, but there’s so much stuff on my plate right now. It’s hard to find the time to sneak this into the rotation. Maybe sometime after the holidays.

…..and with all of that new gaming on the horizon, what do I do? I start replaying Symphony of the Night on the PS5 instead. I need help but man the game is so good, I couldn’t not check out the redux PSP version on the Rondo/Symphony collection. I wanted to sample some of the new voice acting for this version and 4 hours later, I’m nearly at the inverted castle. I’ll say this - Metroid Dread has its work cut out for it considering when I do get to it, it’ll be coming off of near back to back full playthroughs of Symphony as a comparison point.