LCVG

Next Assassin’s Creed is AC: Infinity and it’s a live service “platform” that’s years away….

I know these games have their fans here which is why I’m posting this. I haven’t cared or looked at the franchise since 4 and have almost no interest in doing so again but for those that do care….

• Romier S changed the title to Next Assassin’s Creed is AC: Infinity and it’s a live service “platform” that’s years away….

Too bad Activision already used up the “Infinite” naming before the “Live Service” craze with Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. 

I suspect a Jimquisition on this is already in the works.  

On the bright side, this gives me a good chance to actually catch up with the series. I have to warn you all though: no way I’m playing a live service game. 

So, does this mean that the series is done with single player games for the foreseeable future? I’m rather surprised given what I assume were strong sales for Valhalla.

Live service does not necessarily mean traditional multiplayer only or no single player. 

The people who have consistently paid $60-90 for an Assassins Creed game each year are effectively paying for that regular "big game + periodic updates + big game update + more periodic updates" model already, just not with the tag of a live service. 

In theory, this could work. Think one character, that we create, and outfit how we want, in an open world with other players that is used for mp or side stuff, and then we can use the animus to access your single story arcs that take us to Japan, Greece, etc. These could be as big as the main story from previous games or maybe the size of one of the DLC’s with a corresponding price of course. They add new content yearly that we can pick and choose what we want to buy. I could see it working, I just don’t see Ubisoft being the ones to do it. Now Rockstar is a different story…

I wonder if this changes up the gameplay at all from what we've seen in the past few games, or if we're still looking at something that's witcher-like?  The Animus conceit lets you create all sorts of instanced content if that's what you're looking for, so it might not force everything into a co-op/pve model.  Given that some of the best stuff they've done have been sidequest writing though, as long as that continues, then it could work. 

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

Fucking hell. What an ugly company. 

Does live service imply the map will be even bigger than the last game, or merely that content will roll out over time? (from what I gathered Valhalla seems to have the most post-release support and expansions of any previous AC title, so things seemed to be pointing towards that kind of a shift anyway. Though correct me if I'm wrong as I don't play these games, but dogbert's comments seem to back that up).

43 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Fucking hell. What an ugly company. 

Does live service imply the map will be even bigger than the last game, or merely that content will roll out over time? (from what I gathered Valhalla seems to have the most post-release support and expansions of any previous AC title, so things seemed to be pointing towards that kind of a shift anyway. Though correct me if I'm wrong as I don't play these games, but dogbert's comments seem to back that up).

Sounds a bit like a Destiny setup? Not sure either, but that's what I'm gathering. This way they just keep milking people with expansion $.

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Sounds a bit like a Destiny setup? Not sure either, but that's what I'm gathering. This way they just keep milking people with expansion $.

The difference being that Destiny went free to play for the core version of its game that gives you access to a great deal of content. I somehow doubt that Ubisoft will be doing a F2P Assassins Creed out of the gate. I could be wrong but it’s Ubisoft…..

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

The difference being that Destiny went free to play for the core version of its game that gives you access to a great deal of content. I somehow doubt that Ubisoft will be doing a F2P Assassins Creed out of the gate. I could be wrong but it’s Ubisoft…..

Oh, totally. But Destiny launched as a paid product that "came with" all the online play at no charge (outside of PSN and XBL membership), no?

It’s also worth noting that a *lot* of the content that was free for a while on Destiny 2 has been retired now; the freebie bits are now mostly focused on ensuring the multiplayer dependent sections (Strikes, Crucible, Gambit, Raids) are well populated so those spending money can easily find a game, and/or persuade friends to join them for a kick about. 

44 minutes ago, iainl said:

It’s also worth noting that a *lot* of the content that was free for a while on Destiny 2 has been retired now; the freebie bits are now mostly focused on ensuring the multiplayer dependent sections (Strikes, Crucible, Gambit, Raids) are well populated so those spending money can easily find a game, and/or persuade friends to join them for a kick about. 

Agreed - I tried the "free" D2 bit a month or so ago just to see how it'd play on the ps5 and within an hour i was being pushed to pay up.