LCVG

Song of Horror (PS4, Xbox, PC) - Old school RE style horror game

I finally started this tonight and man its actually really damned good. Very much a combination of old school Resident Evil style puzzles but with a much more atmospheric and darker tone. The moments when you're having to react to the presence are pretty harrowing and the mini-games are pretty good without being frustrating. The game won't impress you initially but the more you get into it, the more it really shows you how much it gets right! Do not underestimate this one. I popped it in tonight to give it a test run and ended up playing through the whole first episode. I lost a character so I plan to restart this weekend but I'm definitely in until I'm done with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I have just reached Chapter V which is the last major chapter in the game it appears. I took a little bit of a break with @Angel Pcoming to visit. Though he did witness me finally complete Chapter 2 which was a massive pain in the ass as I kept dying with the main character. The subsequent chapters have not been as trying, thankfully but the game does not let up on its tension and fear factor. You can easily die at any moment if you are not careful and if you're trying to do an all-Daniel run (he's the main character so if you lose him, you restart the whole chapter no matter how deep into it you are), your stomach will be in knots.:)

I've truly enjoyed the hell out of this though. I like the fact that character lives are at stake at every turn and deaths matter. There are no standard enemies per se but the presence is an ubiquitous assailant and can appear at any moment. If you run, you make yourself more known so the game encourages a slow and methodic pace. Each chapter introduces a new mini-game to get away from the presence and it adds to the mix for subsequent chapters. Each one can range from easy to heart pounding and some even a bit annoying once they start to recycle a bit too often. Each time they appear though they will get your attention though. Lose and you lose your characters life as I said so the tension is high in those sequences.

Otherwise, the game is HEAVY on exploration and puzzle solving. This is very old school levels of puzzle solving, too. You'll have a few notes to review and piece together before you can wrap your head around some solutions. In one instance, an introductory note from a teacher points you to where they hid a key to a room you must access. He states that the key is hidden in the upper level of a shelf to the right of the subject matter his colleague, Professor Dunn teaches. You're in a massive library with shelving ranging some A-Z. Which shelf to start with and how high up to look requires finding different sized hats, looking at pictures to see who is wearing what and then deducing what class Dunn teaches. It's not "simple" stuff and requires you to pay attention. I've had to resort to guides on some of the latter stuff that left me baffled (though it clicked once I read the intention)! It's been too long since we had this style of game, dammit.

One last thing - the story is actually quite intriguing. It's not throwaway stuff. The mystery surrounding the origins of the music box unravel slowly but it gets creepier and more interesting as things progress. If you are a fan of Silent Hill/Classic Resident Evil horror games with fixed camera angles? This is *required* playing, IMO.

Okay, I’m intrigued by this one, but I’m not 100% sold on it yet. I love the idea of playing a modern take on a fixed-angle survival horror game ala Resident Evil, but I’m not sure this is going to do it for me. My biggest concern is that the puzzles are too obtuse, too hard to solve on your own. Would you say the puzzles are harder to solve than what you might find in the remake of Resident Evil? Also, what are the controls like? Does it feel like a more modern game, or does it use old school tank controls?

56 minutes ago, JFo said:

Okay, I’m intrigued by this one, but I’m not 100% sold on it yet. I love the idea of playing a modern take on a fixed-angle survival horror game ala Resident Evil, but I’m not sure this is going to do it for me. My biggest concern is that the puzzles are too obtuse, too hard to solve on your own. Would you say the puzzles are harder to solve than what you might find in the remake of Resident Evil? Also, what are the controls like? Does it feel like a more modern game, or does it use old school tank controls?

On the puzzles question - yes. They are harder. I wouldn’t call them obtuse. They just require more thought and concentration than what passes for puzzles in modern horror titles including the REmake. Think the piano puzzle in the original Silent Hill.

Controls are more modern. No tank controls or options for that type of control scheme. You push in a direction and your character moves in that direction. The game does suffer from some minor camera shifting issues but it’s very rare and I’ll reiterate - the pace of this game is slow and so is the movement. You can run, but you risk more presence events, etc. I think the game has more in common with Silent Hill than Resident Evil in its pacing, frankly.

I should add that this is by a smaller developer. Do not go in expecting AAA production values. The visuals are a bit rough early on but settle in nicely once the game gets more atmospheric and it has some really solid voice acting work given its budget. The character models aren’t amazing but they serve their purpose well enough. It’s not hard to “buy in” is what I’m getting at which is where I usually struggle with these smaller horror titles.