LCVG

Knights of the Old Republic Remake Announced (PS5/PC) - Published by Sony, developed by Aspyr, PS5 console launch exclusive

Romier S

A complete top to bottom remake of the classic RPG.

A pinnacle of Star Wars Legends storytelling, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is set over 4,000 years before the events of the original trilogy and introduced a new story of new heroes and villains in an epic struggle for the fate of the galaxy. The team here at Aspyr and Sony Interactive Entertainment have joined forces with Lucasfilm Games to bring you a remake of this classic Star Wars adventure. We're rebuilding one of the greatest RPGs of all time for a new generation with modern tech, features, visuals and more, while maintaining the integrity of the story and characters that we've come to cherish.

And it's a console exclusive on PlayStation 5 at launch.

Crazy to think of this as a Playstation console exclusive. Never would have bet on such a thing. It's going to feel strange given how KOTR was associated with Xbox. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this re-imagined though. Aspyr have a big task ahead of them and hopefully they'll live up to the challenge. It sounds like an almost bluepoint like level of commitment to a remake that they're making here.

26 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Crazy to think of this as a Playstation console exclusive. Never would have bet on such a thing. It's going to feel strange given how KOTR was associated with Xbox. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this re-imagined though. Aspyr have a big task ahead of them and hopefully they'll live up to the challenge. It sounds like an almost bluepoint like level of commitment to a remake that they're making here.

The exclusivity is definitely weird-we'll see if it's a timed exclusive or a forever-exclusive.  I wonder if they'll be reusing any of the original VO?  It sounds like they got Jennifer Hale back in, but given that Ed Asner just died, getting a re-record for him won't be possible.  New cast would be fine I suppose, but if the original recordings are still in decent shape, then maybe those get used again? 

I haven't played the ME1 remaster/remake-did the combat get changed significantly there?  KOTOR was even more of a "pause and direct the action" RPG, so it'll be interesting to see if that stays intact.  Actually, now that I think about it, I probably haven't played KOTOR since...2005 maybe? 

19 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

I wonder if they'll be reusing any of the original VO?  It sounds like they got Jennifer Hale back in, but given that Ed Asner just died, getting a re-record for him won't be possible.  New cast would be fine I suppose, but if the original recordings are still in decent shape, then maybe those get used again? 

I'll be interested to see. I can't help but think they will definitely start afresh with the music and bring in a new composer for the score though given accusations made against Soule a few years back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...