LCVG

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Definitive Edition Annnounced (PS4/5,Xbox Family, Switch, PC, iOS, Android)

Here you go:

Later this month marks a very special anniversary for Rockstar Games: 20 years since the original release of Grand Theft Auto III — the game that set players loose in the sprawling, three-dimensional metropolis of Liberty City with a new and unprecedented sense of freedom and immersion. In addition to carving a new path for the open world genre, Grand Theft Auto III established Grand Theft Auto as a cultural phenomenon, alongside its two subsequent — and equally legendary — entries in the series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

We'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all the Grand Theft Auto fans who have supported the games over the past two decades. Your love and appreciation for these games has helped push the Grand Theft Auto series forward with every iteration.

In honor of the upcoming anniversary, today we are excited to announce that all three games will be coming to current generation platforms later this year in Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and the Rockstar Games Launcher on PC. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will feature across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements for all three titles, while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals. We're extremely excited to share more about these groundbreaking titles in the coming weeks — stay tuned!

To prepare for launch, we will begin removing existing versions of the classic titles from digital retailers next week. For more information, please visit Rockstar Games Support. In addition, Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be coming to iOS and Android in the first half of 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is being released as a trilogy, but GTA3 is coming to PSNow, and San Andreas is coming to GamePass.  If nothing else, that means a low barrier to trying out the remaster, although Rockstar stuff doesn't tend to last long on there (I think Red Dead was 6m). 

I'm certainly curious about the improvements to the controls and graphics, and whether there's any other quality of life stuff in there, but I have a feeling these games won't have aged well.  There was a lot of grind in those games.  3 got to be a lot of fun once you had all the unlocks, but that meant finding all the packages, and doing all the vigilante, fire, ambulance, and taxi missions, and I remember Vice and San Andreas just being that but bigger (SA might have streamlined a bit of it). 

I haven't read anything about the state of the music in these releases yet-any bets on how much they'll have cut?

5 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

So this is being released as a trilogy, but GTA3 is coming to PSNow, and San Andreas is coming to GamePass.  If nothing else, that means a low barrier to trying out the remaster, although Rockstar stuff doesn't tend to last long on there (I think Red Dead was 6m). 

Damn it, it's like they know Vice City is the one I want to revisit most.

I haven't read anything about the state of the music in these releases yet-any bets on how much they'll have cut?

That's a big question on my mind too.

Either way, it's a pick up on sale way way down the line. 

• 3 weeks later...

So first impressions on this don't sound great, but I thought this was an interesting take on San Andreas:

https://kotaku.com/gta-trilogys-san-andreas-now-feels-depressing-without-i-1848047292

Basically, the original San Andreas used limited draw distance and fog to help hide the fact that the map was much smaller than you'd think.  Take that away, and the scale gets dramatically reduced.  I haven't played San Andreas since it was new, so my memory of it is really fuzzy, but I do remember getting between cities taking quite a while. 

I finished watching John’s video - holy shit what a mess. The only way to play the game at a full, nearly flawless 60fps is to play the PS4 version on PS5 via back compat. That also means you’re stuck playing the game at 864p with no reflections and other effects. The Series X can’t even hold 60 in performance mode and drops to low 40’s.  Don’t even bother with the Switch version. It runs/feels worse than the PS2 version is some instances!

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It feels even worse that they'd have the audacity to badge this a "definitive edition."

And they took down all previous versions of these games. This is now it. I’m glad I have the PS2 versions on PS4 after seeing this crap. 

Rockstar responds to the Definitive Edition release, promises to fix it, relists the original PC versions on the Rockstar store, and is giving anyone who bought the PC definitive version the originals for free. 

An ok response. Would be better if they just relist the originals on all platforms. Also the idea that these technical issues are “unexpected” is laughable. If you release a fundamentally broken game, technical issues can’t be unexpected.

• 2 weeks later...