LCVG

Halo TV series on Paramount + - First Look

Romier S

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, Romier S said:

Cortana looks f’ing weird.

She doesn’t look like Cortana. Here we have a character — one of the most iconic and beloved in all the franchise — with a  distinct visual design that goes back over twenty years. And when Hollywood makes a live-action TV series based on the game, they decide to completely change that character’s look for no apparent reason? Man, that does give me much faith in the rest of the decisions made about the show.

Also, I just watched the trailer again and… Phil Collins? Don’t get me wrong, I love me some “In the Air Tonight”, but maybe we could have borrowed from Marty O’Donnell instead?

I'm not fussed about Cortana and I like that they knew it wasn't worth trying to get anyone other than Jen Taylor in for her voice. It's the Chief that's not doing it for me actually. The lack of grunts continues to make me wonder whether they'll only be seen in a very reduced capacity, or not at all, if the showrunners lack confidence in having that (admittedly weird) tonal imbalance that they bring to the games.

• 3 weeks later...

I've enjoyed plenty of Halo multi-player, but the story mode has never captured me. Additionally the thought of video games turned into live-action always seem like a bad idea. 

With that said, I'm bucking the negative trend here and actually saying that the trailer peaked my interest. Maybe it's due to low expectations, but I thought it looks kinda decent, for what it is!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kelley said:

I watched the first episode this morning. Way more violent than I was expecting and also better than I was expecting, albeit my expectations were really low. 

Same here. 

Side note: the paramount+ app in the LG OLEDs does not do HDR nor atmos - I ended up using the paramount+ in my iPhone and airplayed to my LG c1 and Halo was in Dolby vision + atmos that way.

Spoiler

Did they have to take the helmet off in the first episode? The voice and his face is just not what we are used to after exposure to the character for 20 years. 

• 4 weeks later...

Four episodes into this now. Wow, the creators of this show really hated Halo. At least all the story and the lore. You know, the stuff that one would expect them to cull  from in an adaptation of the Halo video game franchise to film/TV. Almost none of it is here. I can understand making changes in order to adapt from one medium to another, but this goes way beyond that. 

At this point, I'm watching it more out of morbid curiosity than actual enjoyment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:32 AM, JoeyN said:

We went from the best episode so far, to the worst, I hope the new show runners get rid of this horrible secondary storyline next season. 

Who are the new show runners? Because outside of Dennis Villeneuve or James Cameron I don’t know who could save this. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 12:50 AM, JFo said:

Wow, the creators of this show really hated Halo. At least all the story and the lore. You know, the stuff that one would expect them to cull  from in an adaptation of the Halo video game franchise to film/TV.

Ask yourself this: If this were a show that existed in an alternate timeline where there was no videogame -- would you still hate it without the yardstick of the videogame series?

For me, the answer is that this would still be garbage. This isn't good storytelling. There are definitely some bright spots, but not enough to keep watching. I'll give it a second chance if it is indeed retooled, but as it is, this ain't worth the time.

9 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Ask yourself this: If this were a show that existed in an alternate timeline where there was no videogame -- would you still hate it without the yardstick of the videogame series?

Would I hate it? Probably not? The reason being that I probably wouldn’t watch it to begin with. I don’t usually jump in and start watching a new series unless it’s part of something I’m already familiar with (Star WarsHalo) or something that is getting such ridiculously positive word-of-mouth online that I can’t ignore it (Ted Lasso). Halo: The Series is definitely not the latter of those two choices.

9 hours ago, JFo said:

Would I hate it? Probably not? The reason being that I probably wouldn’t watch it to begin with. I don’t usually jump in and start watching a new series unless it’s part of something I’m already familiar with (Star WarsHalo) or something that is getting such ridiculously positive word-of-mouth online that I can’t ignore it (Ted Lasso). Halo: The Series is definitely not the latter of those two choices.

That makes a lot of sense.