LCVG

Vehicle theft

blackcalx

I woke this morning to find that my 2003 Honda Metropolitan had been stolen from the carport of our rental house. Since this is my primary transportation to and from work (and just about anywhere else I need to go) one can imagine how much of a kink this puts into my lifestyle.

I'm curious to know if any of you have had experiences with vehicle theft and if you have any tips outside of the typical reporting (police, insurance).

Oh man, really sorry to hear that! I know my composure level would be in the "Im going to slaughter someone" stage if something like that ever happened to me or my own. As far as advice goes I unfortunately can't offer you much as I've never had a car theft happen to me (crosses fingers) but I can imagine what state of mind your in. I just wanted to chime in and give a vote of support for ya man. :(

Thanks for the support. It's as if I'm destined not to have a vehicle of my own. A couple of years ago I lost my first brand new car when it was hit from behind by a drunk driver. Now this. My wife has a car but with a child at home she needs to have it accessible at all times.

I'm not livid, but I'm very frustrated.

I'm sorry as well! This sort of thing really bothers me, how can someone justify in thier mind taking something from someone who thye know has worked so hard for and can potentially cause serious damage to ones livelyhood.

My girlfriend is starting a new job in the coming week and after researching the area it is located in I am concerned for her safety as well as that of our vehicle. It's a good job, pays well and I couldn't talk her into looking elsewhere at this point, so I will be looking into some safety measures,... Self Defense, Mace, Auto Protection.

I'm sorry, I searched online and couldn't find any more suggestions for you aside from the obvious, contacting police and insurance. I wish you luck in recovering your car.

(It's actually a motor scooter, Joel.) Bummer. The police and insurance company are your best bet. I doubt you'll get it back, but the insurance should replace it. I never had a car stolen, but a few years ago my car was broken into. Despite clear signs of a complete rummaging, the thief stole nothing. I was actually kind of insulted.

I had my 1989 Honda accord stolen in 1997. Was the wierdest thing since I was just walking outside to go to work just like I would any friday. I get down to the parking lot and voila no car in my spot.

The wierd thing was that at the time I was working at thrustmaster (computer joystick, driving wheel company) and I had a wheel in my trunk. For some reason or other they took the wheel out of my trunk and left it in my parking spot like they were saying "Here drive this". I did the normal call the cops call the insurance thing. They waited 30 days and the insurance company settled. I heard they found it 2 or 3 weeks after that completely stripped.

Unlike your loss mine was a blessing in disguise. Sure I didn't have a car for a month or so but the thing was using a few quarts of oil a week and was going to need some major repairs soon. I still don't wish it on anyone but at least in my case it had a silver lining. I hope they find yours soon as it does suck to be reduced to one vehicle.

Originally posted by Sam P@Jan 12 2004, 03:28 PM

Can you install an immobolizer in scooters?

It had one, of sorts. The kickstand had a locking lever under the seat, which could only be accessed using the ignition key. This means that the only way the theif could have taken it would either be to rock it onto the back wheel and walk it away (which would have been very difficult due to the shape of the back end) or to have a couple of people lift it onto a transport.

The only advice I have for cars is to have a rental car clause put into your insurance if it is cheap enough. Then at least when someone hits you or does *something* to your car you are not totally SOL.

Other than that, once the car is gone, it is gone. Man that sucks, hope they just drive it until it runs out of gas and then park it (nice thieves.)

(It's actually a motor scooter, Joel.)

Doh! :oops:

Actually I knew I'd never heard of a Honda Metropolitan and intended to look it up, but unfortuantely I got too busy at work and forgot. Still having anything stolen just sucks, I think I have a paranoia about getting something valuable lifted! No, I know I have a paranoia.

Sorry to hear about your scooter Shawn, I've never had a vehicle stolen but I have had the airbags stolen out of my work truck 3 times. I put up motion sensor lights and went out and bought one of those cheap black and white surveillance cameras and aimed it out the front window where I park and put the monitor on my nightstand. I also bought a gun and learned to use it(I understand this may be out of the question for you with a young one)and became a light sleeper, I haven't had any problems since.

No news. I'll have to wait for 30 (27 now) days before the insurance will do anything. I need to contact them about a rental car, though I may just ride my bicycle.

It's just a waiting game, though I can't help but look down every driveway, alley, sidewalk and parking lot to see if it shows up.

• 4 weeks later...

After hearing nothing on the scooter the insurance is drawing up the papers to settle the claim.

In other news my bicycle was stolen tonight while I was in the adjoining room. I'm trying so hard not to swear right now, both in type and in tongue. They cut through a 1" Brinks security cable which leads me to believe that it wasn't just a spur of the moment thing.

I was going to use that cable to secure my next scooter, but I now have to rethink that whole plan. Perhaps if I buy a motorcycle, something heavier and more akward to wield, I could keep it?

I don't understand what drives people to do this. I'm so frustrated right now.

Sorry to hear that Shawn, I feel for you. :evil: My father has a couple of Harley Davidson's and uses these massive bike chains to lock them together and to a metal ring he put in the cement of the garage. I swear these things are almost as big around as my wrist and made of smaller, interconnected cylinders. Might be too much for a bike or scooter but if you go with a motorcycle it might be something to consider.

I've considered the camera approach. I'm supposed to know by tomorrow whether or not the landlord will allow us the use of the garage. That in itself would help considerably.

Just last night I chased a group of kids out of my breezeway. I don't know what they were doing in there but they didn't stay long once I opened the door.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I now have money in hand to purchase a new scooter. They've given me permission to use the garage, but not enough of it to store a scooter or motorcycle.

As an alternate means of security I have purchased one of these:

Kryptonite NY 'Fahgettaboudit' Lock

krypbikchain_pic.jpg

Resists 20,000 pounds pulling pressure and 10,000 pounds of cutting pressure.

Chain:

-Six-sided (11mm) hexagonal chain links made of triple heat-treated boron manganese steel for ultimate strength

-Unique shape of chain defies bolt cutters, saws, chisels, hammers and files

-Narrower inner width of individual links prevents leverage attacks

-Weatherproof protective nylon covering allows compact coiling for easier carrying

-3'3" (100cm) length (longer 5' (150cm) model also available below)

*Lock:

-Through-hardened 1/2" (13mm) KryptoniumSteel shackle defies bolt cutters, saws, hammers and chisels to provide ultimate security

-New Piksafe disc-style cylinder- virtually pickproof

-Steel sleeve over crossbar provides double security protection

-Double deadbolt locking mechanism for extensive holding power

-Integrated sliding dustcover protects cylinder

-Available with a yellow shackle

-Compact and weatherproof

-$1,000 (USD) Anti-Theft Protection available in the USA and Canada

-Lifetime Key Registration

-Replacement keys available

-Limited Lifetime Warranty

Weight 8.4 lbs. (3.8 kg)

Overkill? Perhaps, but at least I won't have to worry about my scooter. I'll likely get another for my replacement bicycle as well.

I'm quite certain that the bike was stolen by somebody working for the construction company that is contracted to service the house. They were there the morning it was stolen, and the security chain I had on it could not have been cut by run-of-the-mill cutters. I think that it was spotted while they were working on the house and came back for it later that night.

As for the scooter, it didn't dissapear until I left it out in plain sight.

Besides, I don't really know anybody here other than coworkers, and they're just people whos names I know.

You could remove something easy to get to but is necessary to have to make it work. Sure, it may take a minute or 2 to remove it and replace it, but it can sometimes work. When I lived in LA we used to take off the distributor cap on the car so it could not be started. ( And it kept my stupid room mate from driving drunk too. ) Sometimes something as simple as taking off the spark plug wire works too.

Originally posted by Chatakinns@Mar 3 2004, 04:18 AM

You could remove something easy to get to but is necessary to have to make it work.

In the case of a scooter that wouldn't work since it's light enough to be lifted into a truck or trailer. That's a great idea for a car, though. I'll have to keep that in mind!