LCVG

Goldeneye Remaster finally coming? (Maybe?)

Interesting. I still can't help but think this could be a "careful what you wish for" scenario. As wonderful as it was in its day, I'm not sure what appeal it will have once you strip away that layer of nostalgia (unless a remaster were to make some gameplay and animation improvements here and there). With that said, if they also include the option to play the game as it was then that will certainly make it worthwhile for the sake of preservation.

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting. I still can't help but think this could be a "careful what you wish for" scenario. As wonderful as it was in its day, I'm not sure what appeal it will have once you strip away that layer of nostalgia (unless a remaster were to make some gameplay and animation improvements here and there). With that said, if they also include the option to play the game as it was then that will certainly make it worthwhile for the sake of preservation.

Totally, I remember at the time people going nuts for Goldeneye four-play split screen at what, 320x240@20fps? And I was like, dude, see this over here. It is called Half-Life. I’m playing with 8 people at 800x600@30. The environments, weapons, gameplay, everything is better. I cant’t even look at your game without getting a headache.

It is like watching from my penthouse apartment at neanderthals excited they discovered fire.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

Totally, I remember at the time people going nuts for Goldeneye four-play split screen at what, 320x240@20fps? And I was like, dude, see this over here. It is called Half-Life. I’m playing with 8 people at 800x600@30. The environments, weapons, gameplay, everything is better. I cant’t even look at your game without getting a headache.

It is like watching from my penthouse apartment at neanderthals excited they discovered fire.

I think what made Goldeneye stand out at the time was it showed you could design a great fps for a console, and then several years later Halo took that a step further (even though one could argue Halo was conceived for the Mac). Resurrecting Goldeneye, I fear, faces the same problem as Shenmue III really, in that it has long since been improved upon by other games to the point where it's unlikely that anything other than a full on remake would impress anyone today (even those who loved Goldeneye when it came out). Again though, if a remaster were to include the original code of the game, albeit ideally with a resolution and fps bump, then that's worth preserving nevertheless.

• 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Keighley's thing on the 9th I think might have a broader audience of people old enough to care about Goldeneye compared to Microsoft's own show.

Maybe. Either way, I see it as a “It’s available now!” type of announcement.