LCVG

Microsoft has agreed to acquire Activision Blizzard

NickC

Just now, iainl said:

Mind you, since they always refused to have anything to do with Game Pass, I've only the dimmest concept of what they actually do these days to earn that. Call of Duty?

That would be the Big One, yes. But I don't think it wise to rule out all of the Blizzard franchises like DiabloWarcraft, and Overwatch

I guess this deal explains why Phil Spencer was so dodgy during his recent interview with Kara Swisher from the New York Times when she asked him what he was doing in response to the allegations against Bobby Kotick and the leadership at Activision Blizzard. 

Bobby Kotick will apparently remain CEO of Activision/Blizzard, at least for a bit.

“Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company’s culture and accelerate business growth,” the statement reads.

“Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.”

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/bobby-kotick-will-remain-as-activision-blizzard-ceo-after-microsoft-acquisition/

Just now, NickC said:

Bobby Kotick will apparently remain CEO of Activision/Blizzard, at least for a bit.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/bobby-kotick-will-remain-as-activision-blizzard-ceo-after-microsoft-acquisition/

Gross, but hopefully that's just until the deal is inked. I cannot imagine Spencer and MS wanting him or any of the other abhorrent people within the company tarnishing the brand and the beliefs they claim to be defenders of.

Also I want Toys for Bob to be allowed to make use of their talents again and lead development on their own games.

I can only imagine that Kotick, a man who remains vastly overpaid, has contract elements in place that mean it's cheaper to keep him around for the transition period. Long term, he surely can't have a future at Microsoft.

What the fuck?  Now we're just getting into crazy numbers.  Look, there's some good studios there, but is this worth what-7 or 8x what Zenimax was?  I guess I'm just looking at it in terms of current IP.  Call of Duty isn't what it used to be, and while I'm sure everything else is quietly big (like Overwatch and Diablo), I can't think of anything in the pipeline that's as big as some of the Bethesda stuff.  There's a huge cache of legacy IP though-this means that Microsoft would own everything going back to...what-pitfall and river raid?  Fuck...  That's a lot of stuff, but again, seems overpriced. 

I suppose that means more stuff on Game Pass? 

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Deal closes June 2023:

Plenty of time for this to all fall apart then?  I have to wonder at what point a regulator somewhere steps into this, but I suppose there's no broadcast TV channels involved, so not much ground to do anything with.

15 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Deal closes by June 2023

Horrible Twitter reading. 

The deal closes some time in MS' next fiscal year, which run July 22 to June 23. ZMI took about six months to 'close' after the announcement, if I remember. 

11 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Horrible Twitter reading. 

The deal closes some time in MS' next fiscal year, which run July 22 to June 23. ZMI took about six months to 'close' after the announcement, if I remember. 

Hence why I said “by June 2023”, meaning that’s the latest possible date, not in June 2023. I know how fiscal years work.

Edit: Unless you’re referring to the Twitter user not understanding the email in which case, I don’t disagree.

36 minutes ago, Romier S said:

This level of industry consolidation is gross and I have the same reaction to it that I did to the Bethesda deal - no thanks.

Agreed.  One of the few upsides I can think of is that maybe Activision studios will be allowed to make games other than Call of Duty again.

1 hour ago, iainl said:

That is a lot of money. Mind you, since they always refused to have anything to do with Game Pass, I've only the dimmest concept of what they actually do these days to earn that. Call of Duty?

King (the third pillar of Activision Blizzard) is raking in billions of dollars a year as well.