LCVG

Sony/Playstation is buying Bungie.....

The deal is for 3.6 billion.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-sony-buying-bungie-for-usd3-6-billion

Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced a deal to acquire Bungie for $3.6 billion, the latest in a string of big-ticket consolidation deals in the games industry.

After the deal closes, Bungie will be "an independent subsidiary" of SIE run by a board of directors consisting of current CEO and chairman Pete Parsons and the rest of the studio's current management team.

Sony has said Bungie will remain a multiplatform studio, with the option "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play."

At present, the studio is working on maintaining Destiny 2, expanding the Destiny franchise, and working on new IP.

"We've had a strong partnership with Bungie since the inception of the Destiny franchise, and I couldn't be more thrilled to officially welcome the studio to the PlayStation family," said SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan.

The fact that Sony have come out and said outright that Bungie will maintain itself as a multi-platform studio is damned good news, IMO and a shift in how Playstation generally handles these types of acquisitions. I'm still not jumping up and down for more industry acquisition but it allays my biggest issue with how these things are handled (i.e. less choice for players).

24 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is that good value? I never got into Destiny so haven't really been following its level of popularity. Are Bungie at least looking to expand beyond just being a destiny machine?

Destiny 2 is still huge. It averages a million players + at any given time. 100k+ at any given time on Steam alone.

No doubt they will be allowed to expand if they choose but Destiny is the bread winner here.

Sony are paying a premium though for the studio.

• Romier S changed the title to Sony/Playtation is buying Bungie.....

One last link to the PS Blog post:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/31/bungie-is-joining-playstation/

Today I am happy to announce Bungie will be joining the PlayStation family.

First off, I want to be very clear to the community that Bungie will remain an independent and multi-platform studio and publisher. As such, we believe it makes sense for it to sit alongside the PlayStation Studios organization, and we are incredibly excited about the opportunities for synergies and collaboration between these two world-class groups. I have spent a lot of time with Pete Parsons, Jason Jones, and the Bungie management team to develop the right relationships where they will be fully backed and supported by Sony Interactive Entertainment and enabled to do what they do best — build incredible worlds that captivate millions of people.

Bungie’s world-class expertise in multi-platform development and live game services will help us deliver on our vision of expanding PlayStation to hundreds of millions of gamers. Bungie is a great innovator and has developed incredible proprietary tools that will help PlayStation Studios achieve new heights under Hermen Hulst’s leadership.

Here are a few words from Hermen about this exciting acquisition and what it means for gamers. 

I am absolutely thrilled to announce a new member will be joining the PlayStation family!

I’ve been a fan of Bungie for many years. I have admired and enjoyed the games that they create – and have great respect for their skill in building worlds that gamers want to explore again and again.

Bungie makes games with outstanding technology that are enormously fun to play. They also have unmatched dedication to the communities that play their games, and everyone at PlayStation, and PlayStation Studios, will be excited about what we can share and learn from them.

I have spent a great deal of time with the senior team at Bungie and it is clear their experience and skills are highly complementary to our own.We will be ready to welcome and support Bungie as they continue to grow, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for this incredible team.” – Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios

Here are a few words from Pete Parsons, CEO of Bungie.

We believe games have limitless potential, and that to do anything worthwhile in entertainment, we must bet big on our vision, on our studio, and on our incredible team of trusted creators who build unforgettable worlds that truly matter to people.

In Sony, we have found a partner who unconditionally supports us in all we are and who wants to accelerate our vision to create generation-spanning entertainment, all while preserving the creative independence that beats in Bungie’s heart. Like us, Sony believes that game worlds are only the beginning of what our IPs can become. Together, we share a dream of creating and fostering iconic franchises that unite friends around the world, families across generations, and fans across multiple platforms and entertainment mediums.

Today, Bungie begins our journey to become a global multi-media entertainment company.

CREATIVE FREEDOM

Since taking flight in 1991, Bungie has always charted the future with our own star map – a path that is driven by our people and for our community. We are continuing that journey with new worlds in development, and we can’t wait to share them with you.

With Sony, the potential for our universes is unlimited. Our future games will take bold steps into unexplored spaces for Bungie, continue to push the boundaries of what is possible, and will always be built on a foundation of creating meaningful, lifelong friendships and memories.

We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play.

With Sony’s support, the most immediate change you will see is an acceleration in hiring talent across the entire studio to support our ambitious vision. If this speaks to you, and you want to help us put a dent in the universe, we are hiring across all disciplines for Destiny 2 and for all new worlds beyond.

THREE DECADES AND COUNTING

What makes our worlds come to life is our community and our people in the studio. Our people are the soul of Bungie. Empowered by our people, we have pushed the boundaries of what we thought was possible and transformed who we are as a company.

Over the past 30 years, the inviting worlds we’ve built have turned into thriving communities, and that community is the true magic. These communities have taken Bungie beyond games. They have forged life-long bonds, and humbled us with the real, meaningful good they drive within us and the world.

More than anything, Sony understands that our people and our community are both the priority, and the heart of our success, and are willing to stand alongside us as we continue to use our platform to drive action towards a more welcoming and equitable world. Our goal is to build a place where the world’s most creative and talented people can come and do their best work, no matter who they are, where they are from, or how they identify.

That’s the real dent in the universe we want to make — the one we want to last beyond us.

Be a part of this future with us. See you Starside.” – pete

Just so I have this straight...Bungie was independent, and then part of MS, and then bought back their independence, and are now part of Sony?  Strange...  I always figured that when a company like that made the effort to go back to being independent that it'd stick, but I'm sure there were reasons to take the offer (not the least of which was a pretty big price tag). 

I suppose the only real IP that comes along with this is Destiny, right?  I know MS bought the rights to Halo, but do they still have the old Bungie IP?  I mean, there aren't a lot of people dying for a marathon reboot, but at least that adds something to the mix. 

It'll be interesting to see what this turns into.  Given the rumors around Spartacus, pulling in a service game like Destiny 2 for built in perks makes sense I suppose.  Having a strong in-house shooter and service games team is probably also valuable.  I have no idea how much cross-pollenation there is between studios in these larger orgs, but in theory there's opportunities to share tech and know-how between the teams (although in practice there's just too many people to organize).  I kind of wonder if Bungie becomes Sony's Respawn, where "Respawn" seems to be supervising more and more projects (3 Star Wars games, Apex, plus at least one new thing), or like what they tried to do with Bioware back in the day (where everything seemed to be Bioware something...). 

3 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

I suppose the only real IP that comes along with this is Destiny, right?  I know MS bought the rights to Halo, but do they still have the old Bungie IP?  I mean, there aren't a lot of people dying for a marathon reboot, but at least that adds something to the mix. 

I believe Bungie still own the Marathon IP, yes. There was some discussion happening with Activision about a Marathon reboot years ago. It's also the reason why all of the Marathon iconography disappeared from Halo moving forward...

Just thinking out loud for fun: If you consider the fact that classes were added to Horizon Forbidden West, then consider that game is made by Guerilla, makers of Killzone, then consider Bungie's ability to create and service gaming as a service...

This shit is getting crazy. Basically, we are going to end up with an industry with no AAA studios not owned by the big 3.

So was one of the reasons they did this was to stop MS from doing it? And while the Sony release says they will remain independent, their own release says Destiny specifically and everything related to that will remain cross platform. It does not say anything about new IP. I wonder what MS’s next move will be.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

This shit is getting crazy. Basically, we are going to end up with an industry with no AAA studios not owned by the big 3.

So was one of the reasons they did this was to stop MS from doing it? And while the Sony release says they will remain independent, their own release says Destiny specifically and everything related to that will remain cross platform. It does not say anything about new IP. I wonder what MS’s next move will be.

From the Bungie FAQ:

Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?

No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.

This is a Mojang like acquisition for Sony. Does that mean all games from Bungie will be multi-platform? Probably not. Sony will no doubt leverage the studio to create Playstation content at some point but for now, the messaging is very (thank goodness) clear. Bungie is an independent publisher owned and backed by Sony and their stuff will remain multi-platform.

Folks are going to make this out to be purely reactive to the Microsoft acquisitions and obviously, I think that's a part of it, sure. However,  Sony also lacks exactly what Bungie brings to the table. They are one of the premiere first person shooter studios on the planet and they operate and have expertise in delivering on successful live service games. Both are gaps that Sony wants to fill and has been working to fill with some of these "second party" like deals they have made with certain new studios forming out there. Now, that expertise is in-house and backed by the full support of Playstation Studios. I guess what I am saying is that the play here is for more than just IP,  but for talent/expertise. The IP is just a very happy bonus.

Bungie has also wanted to desperately branch out into other media (TV, Movies, etc.) and Sony no doubt gives them the ability to do that with some serious financial backing so, its a seemingly good marriage for them.

You can bet part of this was to prevent MS from getting another big studio, any acquisition is part stopping someone else in the market from taking the asset off the street. Destiny is huge on PS. I bet Destiny continues to live MP but whatever is next will be exclusive. 

Another positive for Sony is utilizing Bungie’s FPS experience to help other studios learn the genre. 

You make good points. However it plays out, Sony just filled a major void in their lineup. I still don’t like any of this. With MS throwing money around, it has left them with some pretty big holes in their lineup that they didn’t worry about before because they had third parties to fill it in. I’m hopeful that this leads to some new IP that their first party makes to fill those spots.

Edited by Paul
Took out respond

• Romier S changed the title to Sony/Playstation is buying Bungie.....

Good interview at GI.biz with Jim Ryan and Pete Parsons.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-playstation-bungie-will-considerably-accelerate-our-journey-with-multiplatform-live-service-games

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher. Pete [Parsons, CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together. Everybody wants the extremely large Destiny 2 community, whatever platform they're on, to be able to continue to enjoy their Destiny 2 experiences. And that approach will apply to future Bungie releases. That is unequivocal.

"[Bungie] will operate autonomously within the Sony Interactive Entertainment organisation, and they will continue to publish on other platforms. We get the importance of this. We have grown studios organically, but we've also made a number of acquisitions over the years. Whether it is Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Suckerpunch Productions and most recently Insomniac. We understand how important it is to give these great organisations the space and independence, whilst bolstering that with great support when and where that's needed.

"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

"Philosophically, this isn't about pulling things into the PlayStation world. This is about building huge and wonderful new worlds together."

Meanwhile on the Bungie side, Pete Parsons tells GamesIndustry.biz that Sony offers the ability to accelerate its own plans, which includes the prospect of taking its IP to new entertainment mediums, such as TV and film.

The deal is a significant buy from PlayStation. Sony is not a small organisation, but it doesn't have pockets as deep as some of its competitors. Nevertheless, Ryan says the firm is not done in this area.

"We should absolutely expect more," he concludes. "We are by no means done. With PlayStation, we have a long way to go. I will personally be spending a lot of my time with Pete and the team at Bungie, helping make sure that everything beds down right and that autonomy means autonomy. But elsewhere in the organisation, we have many more moves to make."