LCVG

The NY Times buys Wordle....

News day!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/business/media/new-york-times-wordle.html

Wordle was purchased from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price "in the low seven figures," The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.

"Initially"....

I thought you were making this one up at first...

Seriously, good for Josh, but they could very easily have come up with a ripoff.  I'm not sure there's anything there that's trademarkable, and worst case they could have just changed the colours and kept all the features the same.  It's a pretty generic idea, that just happens to have an elegant web interface and a clever social hook. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

I thought you were making this one up at first...

Seriously, good for Josh, but they could very easily have come up with a ripoff.  I'm not sure there's anything there that's trademarkable, and worst case they could have just changed the colours and kept all the features the same.  It's a pretty generic idea, that just happens to have an elegant web interface and a clever social hook. 

This way it comes with good will and you get the brand continuity. If NYT made their own, people would call them out for it and continue playing the original. This way they get the audience too. Easily worth 7 figures for the pageviews alone.

I've been averaging 4, playing on hard mode:

Wordle 231 4/6*

🟩🟩
🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

There's actually an interesting clone out there (absurdle) that takes a guess and then changes the word so that you have the minimum amount of information from your guess.  Trick is to still be able to figure out the word.  It's actually kind of a neat programming puzzle.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Just dumb luck of course. One of the words that I use regularly is plods. Sometimes plead or pleat. That day I decided to start with pleat, and that’s what it was. 

Did you buy a lottery ticket?

https://qntm.org/files/absurdle/absurdle.html

Absurdle is an interesting take on the Wordle phenomenon. Instead of picking a word that you are simply trying to guess, it is actively trying to not give you a right answer or any clues.

It does by taking the letters you guess and eliminates any words that it could using those letters until you’ve narrowed the list down to only a few possible words. 

I think the strategy may be to try and use uncommon letters first so that aren’t left with weird words that have to have z,x,q,j,y and u in it.

25 minutes ago, Graeme said:

https://qntm.org/files/absurdle/absurdle.html

Absurdle is an interesting take on the Wordle phenomenon. Instead of picking a word that you are simply trying to guess, it is actively trying to not give you a right answer or any clues.

It does by taking the letters you guess and eliminates any words that it could using those letters until you’ve narrowed the list down to only a few possible words. 

I think the strategy may be to try and use uncommon letters first so that aren’t left with weird words that have to have z,x,q,j,y and u in it.

I saw this one, but hadn't yet tried it. I have it a go today, and got it in 7 tries, but I have no reference if this is decent or not. I feel like it could go on for a bit, so 7 felt good for a first try.

My wife got it in 10, and her frustration was hilarious.

"The word keeps changing? Who's the asshole behind the computer?!? .... OK, I know it's just like a program or whatever, but like really,... Com'on!" 

28 minutes ago, JTello said:

I have it a go today, and got it in 7 tries, but I have no reference if this is decent or not

7 seems pretty good. The minimum is 4, so only 3 more than that seems good. I’ve been around 10 mostly. 

I think it helps if you can wrap your head around that it isn’t changing the word, but that it just isn’t ever picking a word until you force it to. 

Just now, Graeme said:

7 seems pretty good. The minimum is 4, so only 3 more than that seems good. I’ve been around 10 mostly. 

I think it helps if you can wrap your head around that it isn’t changing the word, but that it just isn’t ever picking a word until you force it to. 

Ahh, that's interesting! I did think it was a moving target. Good to know! 

As an example, here is a game I played just now, and then I replayed it again except for my last guesses. It plays out the same way, but I was pretty sure the answer was going to be fatty in the second game since I was going to guess taffy. If I had guessed taffy earlier though, it changes the game completely. 

A6814441-0960-4A3E-B6F2-8A975C3E3F74.thumb.png.da370b7989def5361f262353dc0c4aab.pngA89F4FA6-454B-4EF6-AFCF-F78C141D5BE8.thumb.png.b2bbde13275211ed730aef50cc514216.png20D959C4-2CE7-4D3F-8B82-1B83DE36B93E.thumb.png.c8d595acaa16c93e1c5cd904aee7c008.png