LCVG

MarioKart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC [Switch] - 48 new courses beginning March 18th 2022 and continuing through to the end of 2023

It's finally happening. 48 new tracks delivered over six  'waves' of eight courses between March of this year and the end of 2023.

This will be part of Switch Online's Expansion Pack, or available separately for $24.99/£22.49 (which seems reasonably priced for so many great looking courses. That's $25 for all six packs, not per pack, just in case you thought Nintendo were really going to go Nintendo with this).

• Angry the Clown changed the title to MarioKart 8 Deluxe Booster Course DLC [Switch] - 48 new courses beginning March 18th 2022 and continuing through to the end of 2023
8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It does make NSO’s Expansion Pack a little more palatable, yes.

I assume if you cancel the expansion you would lose access to the tracks? I think this will probably just be a one time purchase for me. Especially since the tracks are being released over, essentially, two years. 

Except I only play this with my kids and they just pick the same 3 or 4 tracks over and over again anyway. There was a track I picked the other day that I had absolutely no recollection of ever playing before.

Regardless, I like that they’re still supporting this game and releasing so many “new” tracks. I was shocked that there is going to be 48. 

14 hours ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

I wonder if the release of so many additional tracks over such a long period of time means Nintendo has no plans to release Mario Kart 9 on the current Switch and is saving it as the killer app for the Switch's successor.

That would be smart thinking. I could imagine Mario Kart 9 being a launch title for their next console, or at the very least a year one release, for sure.

• 1 month later...

For those that subscribe to the Online Expansion Pass, the new courses appear in MK8 by default, but you have to actually download the booster pack from the Eshop before you can play them. 

I like the courses here. I tend to prefer most of the classic remade courses vs the original MK8 tracks. The big gimmick for MK8 was the hover ability, but in actual practice, I don’t think it really adds much, and most of the time you can’t really tell if you’re upside down or climbing up a wall anyway. 

I also like the tracks added from Tour. Having the last lap in Paris go in a completely different direction is a nice little twist, and I really like all the paths in Ninja Hideaway. Toad Circuit is fun for doing super long drifts, and it’s nice to have Choco Mountain. 

I’ve been enjoying the “new” tracks as well. I’ve been working on getting three stars on both Grand Prix cups. I have then for 150cc and Mirror. I just need to do 200cc now and I’m all ready for the next wave whenever it arrives.

I finally 3-starred the two DLC cups on the 150cc Grand Prix. I swear it felt like there was a bug in 150cc where there were more green/red shells or something in the DLC tracks. After at least 15 attempts on the 2nd cup, I looked up some Mario Kart strategy videos on YouTube and discovered I didn't know a critical strategy that immediately helped 3-star the 2nd cup-- you can hold items like bananas/shells behind your kart to protect yourself from green/red shells by holding the L button! I also didn't know that coins give a speed boost and collecting them increases your top speed (I thought they were just used to unlock karts/wheels/gliders)! I have played at least 100 hours of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I don't know how it's possible that I never knew these basic things other than the fact that I'm obviously a dumbass. 

34 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

After at least 15 attempts on the 2nd cup, I looked up some Mario Kart strategy videos on YouTube and discovered I didn't know a critical strategy that immediately helped 3-star the 2nd cup-- you can hold items like bananas/shells behind your kart to protect yourself from green/red shells by holding the L button!

Wow. That's been a strat since Mario Kart 64. I'm surprised you didn't know this until now.

35 minutes ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

I also didn't know that coins give a speed boost and collecting them increases your top speed (I thought they were just used to unlock karts/wheels/gliders)! I have played at least 100 hours of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I don't know how it's possible that I never knew these basic things other than the fact that I'm obviously a dumbass. 

Maybe it's not that you're a dumbass but that Nintendo didn't include any kind of tutorial or how-to-play in the game to explain all this stuff.

4 minutes ago, JFo said:

Wow. That's been a strat since Mario Kart 64. I'm surprised you didn't know this until now.

What little gamer cred I had has been revoked. I knew you could fire items behind you and that's how I would try to stop incoming red shells but it's obviously so much easier to hold a banana/shell back there as a shield. My only consolation is that it feels great not to be reamed from behind by red shells as much!

• 5 months later...