LCVG

Street Fighter 6 announced….(releasing on PS4/5, Xbox Family, PC) Releasing 2023

Romier S

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

Sony funded V, that’s the only reason it wasn’t multi platform. Capcom was struggling back then and wasn’t going to make V any time soon until Sony put up the cash. 

Yeah, that's what I remember. That's not to say Sony wouldn't dip into the money hat for 6 exclusivity, however. Hopefully not. 

I never did get round to buying V, incidentally. I still don't know why I find myself so attracted to the series when I remain monumentally awful at playing them (my purchases of the anniversary collection and, just the other week, SFIV, being huge reminders of this). :)  I still lack a fight stick, which no doubt puts me at a disadvantage, but even with one I'm still not confident of developing the skills. 

On a more serious note, I fear the series could take a visually bland turn if the teaser, and frankly awful logo, is anything to go by. If I can be sure of one thing that's kept Street Fighter appealing to me, despite by dismal skills at actually playing it, its the colourful presentation that it has always possessed. 

• 3 months later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Street Fighter 6 announced….(releasing on PS4/5, Xbox Family, PC) Releasing 2023

I think part of the problem for me is I watched the trailer had had no idea what I was really looking at. If the open world aspect serves as a kind of tutorial for people who are historically not good at Street Fighter games (*waves*) then I might be able to see the appeal. It doesn't help that those aspects are visually punished by the cross-gen aspect of the game, however. 

I was watching the Easy Allies reaction to this and they point out some things I missed when I watched the trailer. There are some fun throwbacks to Final Fight in the city areas, notably the giant statue of Haggar and some references to the Mad Gear Gang. If that roaming section is kind of like a 3D brawler (and one that also helps teach you Street Fighter mechanics) it could capture my interest. And if Capcom want to let Dotemu do a new Final Fight game I'd be happy with that too.

Also, at 2mins 50s in the game hub area you can see arcade cabinets in the background. The ones in the middle seem to have the SF6 logo on their monitors, but the ones at the back on the far left 'Game Center' look like they're running older games.

I'm glad the game is as colourful as it is too. I was concerned for some time that they'd divert from that, but the city has a great palette and I love the big splashes of colour during the fights themselves.

That was very useful. The fanbase does seem to be excited which is a good thing.

The simple button controls with the 'modern' control option is a welcome touch, not just for those like me who enjoy but are nevertheless terrible at playing fighting games, but also for those with accessibility needs too. In general it should also make the experience more enjoyable for those who only have a joypad and have yet to justify investing in a fight stick.

Speaking of sticks, if I do finally get one I guess the best option is to get a Playstation stick with a Wingman XB adapter for Xbox compatibility which I think has come up in a past discussion. PS5 sticks do seem horribly expensive though, and to be honest for my needs I'd likely be happy enough with a Hori Fighting Commander OCTA.

• 1 month later...