LCVG

Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake along with Resident Evil 7 are getting a next gen upgrade....(PS5/Xbox Family,PC)

• Romier S changed the title to Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake along with Resident Evil 7 are getting a next gen upgrade....(PS5/Xbox Family,PC)

I'm curious to see if Resident Evil 7 will get any additional enhancements on the PSVR front.

I just did a replay of RE2 on the PS4, too. I'll happily revisit along with 3 and 7.

RE3 Remake is a lesser game than the original but its still pretty fun in its own right.

• 3 months later...

By the way, the minute you start up the PS5 versions, they ask you if you want to covert your save files. Hit yes and it takes a few seconds and the last trophy you unlocked will pop. Don’t fret - all other trophies are unlocked on the PS5 versions as well.

Load times are non-existent.

This is great. I never did get the RE7 dlc so need to pick that up as it will be an added incentive to revisit the game, and I want to rebuy RE2 having only previously had the disc but not done a Claire play through so there’s an added reason to go back to that one too. Nemesis remake I have yet to even play so it’ll be great to experience that enhanced.

You can regularly get the RE2/Nemesis bundle cheap on the PSN so I’d like to do a big binge on these three when we hit the autumn/winter months.

Can we just stop for a moment and marvel at the fact that there are next gen updates for three Resident Evil games... and Capcom is not charging current owners a dime to get the upgrade?

For as long as I've been alive, there have been three certainties of life: death, taxes, and Capcom making people rebuy Resident Evil games when they come to the newest console generation. I guess now it's just two.

I did some testing across the PS5 and the Series X since I own RE2 and RE3 on both. RE7 I only own on the PS5 but thus far from what I've tested, it runs very well in RT mode. I did the back mutated Jack boss fight near the end of the game and went through as portion of the boat sequence with Mia and it felt absolutely butter smooth. Pulling up the VRR read out, it does look like the game is dropping into the low 50's at times but with VRR, its imperceptible. 

On the RE2 Remake front, the Series X shows a slight advantage in RT mode. The PS5's VRR implementation continues to have a lower range of 48fps with no low framerate compensation and Capcom has not implemented their own LFC here ala Insomniac. What that means is that heavy scenes like the opening hallway of RPD will send the framerate falling into the low 40's and you will notice stuttering and performance degradation. The Series X VRR implementation goes lower (down to 40fps) but I noticed it dipping into the high 30's at times so its not immune to stuttering itself. It does perform slightly better and the stutters aren't as egregious but the dream of a locked 60fps in RT mode isn't a reality on either console. Which is a bit of a shame as the RT mode completely fixes the dreadful SSR artifacting that appears throughout any reflective surface. It looks like strange dot crawl and has been present since RE2 launched. The new global illumination systems helps to stabilize black levels, too.

Regardless, I'll take the SSR artifacts and my preferred mode with RE2: Remake is the 120hz high framerate mode. It runs a damned treat on both consoles. Whatever advantages either has is completely moot with VRR enabled as framerate fluctuations just aren't noticeable on either machine. I can't stress enough how incredible and responsive this mode feels and the hit to resolution is negligible at best!

On the RE3 Remake front, the results are certainly in the favor of one particular console and that's the Series X with RT mode. I loaded up a save on my PS5 where Jill has to get the train back up and running and on the right course. This forced me to run through the main downtown area of the game all the way to the other side where the station controls were. The framerate is not stable at all in the downtown area with all of the stores. You notice dips and stutters immediately and once again, the lower range of 48fps on the PS5's VRR implementation is the culprit here as the game routinely drops below that range. Now, I booted up the same area on the Series X and ran the same gauntlet and it was butter smooth. In fact, the framerate barely fell below 55fps so the Series X is just brute forcing the game in a way the PS5 seemingly can't do. That having been said, the RT mode in RE3: Remake doesn't present as noticeable a difference as RE2: Remake with its SSR issues but if its your preferred mode? The Series X is the way to go. Much like the PS5, the 120hz HFR mode works wonderfully on both consoles and again, any hit to resolution isn't severe enough to be problematic at all.

The only other option to cover is disabling both the RT and HFR modes. This will leave you with what appears to be a native 4K/60hz output for both games with all visual settings as they were when the games launched. From what I tested, both machines run this mode flawlessly. It's certainly a great way to play if you want the absolute highest resolution possible. It's a rock solid "quality with no RT" mode.

Anyway, this is a great set of updates. It would be great if Capcom would go the Insomniac route and implement some form of LFC on the PS5 or even do something akin to the 120hz/40fps unlocked mode in the Insomniac games for the RT modes on both consoles. That would be absolutely amazing but I can't complain too much with what they've done here. These are free upgrades that breath new life into these amazing games and I'll happily replay them again.

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Apparently if you Have RE 7 via the PS+ Collection (where it was included for PS5 owners) you do not get the free enhancement upgrade so will instead have to pay for it. Not too surprising, but worth mentioning if that's the only access to the game anyone has. 

Ha! Yeah, that's the case for me on PlayStation. Fortunately, I bought it on Xbox, so I still get the free upgrade over there.

It was also a massive pain of menu hopping to upgrade my RE7 Gold Edition. At first, it wouldn't provide me with the "Free Upgrade" banner at all after installing the PS4 version. I had to put in the OG RE7 disc to get the upgrade and the I couldn't use the Gold Disc to launch it and it wanted me to rebuy all of the DLC. 

I had to put the Gold disc in again, hit down and select the three dots, then hit view product and hit another option before the free upgrade option turned up and its a totally different PS5 install! When I was done, I had the PS5 version of regular RE7 and the PS5 version of the Gold Edition installed at the same time. I uninstalled the regular version and the Gold Edition had all of the DLC as expected.

Dumb delivery for sure, there.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Dumb delivery for sure, there.

Sounds like it. On the Xbox, I just selected the updates for all three titles, and it started downloading. When it was done, the icons for each game had that "X|S" logo in the corner. I haven't booted them up yet, but if past experience is any indication, they should work flawlessly.

4 hours ago, JFo said:

Sounds like it. On the Xbox, I just selected the updates for all three titles, and it started downloading. When it was done, the icons for each game had that "X|S" logo in the corner. I haven't booted them up yet, but if past experience is any indication, they should work flawlessly.

I should say that it worked fine for RE2 and RE3 on the PS5. The minute I put the disc in and it did the most recent update, I got a big old icon telling me to upgrade to the PS5 version for free. I don't generally mind Sony having native apps for each. There are actually advantages to that in some ways and I like the double trophy list. There are times when dumb delivery is worthwhile.:)

In the case of RE: Gold though, it's just an odd situation where Capcom considers that a totally separate release of the game. If I upgraded from the standard RE7 disc and I put in the Gold disc, the system should know and just allow me to download the DLC items for free to add to the standard release. Then either disc should work. That's not it works, unfortunately.:/

There's no question the whole process is much more seamless on the Xbox but it also has its downsides (inability to access the Xbox One version for easy switching/comparison for example).

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

(inability to access the Xbox One version for easy switching/comparison for example).

I really dislike this. I am usually ok with playing the older version to save space on the SSD, especially when something like Avengers or COD is over a 100gbs. So there’s been a couple of times, now, I actually won’t upgrade simply because I can’t switch between versions. 

Digital Foundry with it's analysis of RE7:

If you're on PS5 or Xbox Series X, you can enable either RT mode or High Framerate and expect performance and picture quality to hit their targets nearly all the time. That is, RT mode will hit 4K/60 and HF will hit 4K/120 nearly all the time. Series S struggles to hit it's performance targets much of the time, but this can be mitigated if you have a VRR-enabled display.