LCVG

William Hurt has passed away at 71

Romier S

This blows.:(

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/william-hurt-dead-kiss-of-the-spider-woman-1235203576/

William Hurt, who became a top leading man in the 1980s, winning an Oscar for 1985’s “Kiss of the Spider Woman” and starring in “The Big Chill” and “Body Heat,” died Sunday of natural causes. He was 71. Hurt’s death was confirmed to Variety by his friend, Gerry Byrne.

His son Will said in a statement, “It is with great sadness that the Hurt family mourns the passing of William Hurt, beloved father and Oscar winning actor, on March 13, 2022, one week before his 72nd birthday. He died peacefully, among family, of natural causes.”

Really sad. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few years ago (prostate if I recall), but he kept on working. I don't know why he wasn't in quite so much demand for big roles after such a stellar run of films in the 80s. He was one of those actors I was always happy to see appear on screen, and even with a movie like Lost in Space he could never phone in a performance.  A History of Violence is easily one of his best from the last twenty years.

This story about him is one of the most wonderful celebrity stories I've ever heard:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1152642702481252354.html

In Civil War he had lost a bunch of weight and he gave this whole speech about having a heart attack. i always found the scene odd. He wasn’t particularly overweight, and yet they were making it a plot point that he had a health wake-up call, and lost weight because of it.

Was that whole speech a writing pivot to account for his weight loss due to cancer?