LCVG

Metal Arms: Glitch in The System

paul h

After reading the criminally low sales figures for this game i thought it's time to pimp the game with a thread of it's own..

I've had this game for a while and hadn't really given it much time to be honest, tried the first couple of levels which didn't really grab my attention and having PoP and Beyond Good and Evil at the same time didn't help it's cause either!! After reading the comments about it in Brian's thread i thought it time i gave the game a fair chance and got stuck into it. I think i'm about 3/4 of the way through it now and am literally having a blast!! i'd have to say it pretty much borrows a hell of a lot from the Ratchet and Clank games but that's not a bad thing as they're fantastic games in their own right. Metal Arms isn't quite as polished but it's still a lot of fun and very challenging.

The variety in the levels so far is great and getting to control vehicles, turrets and other droids is sweet. The game has a lot of character to it and at times is really funny.. i highly recommend giving this game a chance, really enjoying my time with it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal Arms and Beyond Good & Evil are my picks for "Sleeper Hits of 2003".

I'm enjoying both SO much, even though they posted dismal sales figures, but garnered much acclaim.

For action junkies MA is fantastic, but damn hard. The graphics are gorgeous (I have the Xbox version), the sound is fantastic and control is spot-on. Plus is got a cool little story, and a fantastic multiplayer mode, although I wish it had System Link or Xbox Live support.

It took me one hell of a long time to beat that 1st boss! Couldn't figure out the trick to it even though you could see that his mouth was obviously part of the secret.

Anyhoo...it's a pretty addictive game once you get reasonably into it. I found the 1st few levels to be on the boring side, for some reason.

Still...I haven't played in several weeks. Got sidetracked with Hitman II which, I got for $20.

That game is a blast as well!!!

Heh thanks Odie.

<---lazy. ;)

I'm trying to put together a good collection of concept artwork, sounds, music etc.. for the game. Maybe some movies and do a big Metal Arms pimpage post. Everyone can go ahead and throw in some links with media, possibly some conservative sized screenies and more. Just for the fun of it. (I wish the forums would have been up when Panzer Orta was released. ;) )

Personally, I think it's about time we spread the good word about this great game. In an effort to help, I have updated my avatar (again) to raise awareness of it and to subtley tell people what they should do about it.

In addition to that, I'd like to repost some stuff I had originally written for the Metal Arms thread I started in the GameCube forums. Please note, that these impressions are all coming from the Xbox version of the game.

To start off, here is what I had to say about half-way through:

Sometimes you when you play a game, you get the distinct impression that the developers have an absolute blast playing it themselves, and wouldn't have bothered making it if they didn't like it. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is one of those games. As far as shooter games go, it doesn't do anything revolutionary, nor does it even need to. It's merely an excellent representative of the genre. Everything you would expect from such a game is present. There are plenty of big guns in your arsenal and they can all be upgraded to do more damage. Explosions are loud, powerful, and blast your metallic foes to millions of tiny pieces. The story is your standard tale of a solitary hero going up against an army of robots with nothing but his wits and weapons to save him. In other words, it's the quintessential shooter game.

This is a great effort from first-time developer Swinging Ape Studios. Assuming that this game sells well enough for them to remain in business, I would expect to see some more great games in the future. This is a talented company, and if Metal Arms is any indication, it has the potential to become a 400-pound gorilla in this industry. I will be keeping an eye on them.

And here is what I had to say upon beating it:

I'd like to mention two things that I don't think other reviews have mentioned. First off, this is a pretty big game. In all, there are 42 levels, and each one took me about a half-hour to complete. In total, I estimate that I spent between 18-20 hours to beat it. For those of you who like to get the most for your money, you'll get it with this one. You can even scour the levels for secret chips that unlock mulit-player levels if you're into that sort of thing.

Secondly, I was surprised by how tough it was. Let's just say I died plenty of times... and that was on the normal difficulty. I hate to imagine what would happen if I played it on "Nuts o' Steel." Those of you who pick Metal Arms up will probably notice the challenge kick in somewhere in the mid- to late-twenties levels. Fast reflexes alone will not get you past the Mils. You'll need to plot out strategies to get past them, which include using your trusty control tether to take control of them as well as turning some of them against each other using this special grenade that reprograms the bad guys to be on your side. (I can't tell you how many times that's gotten me out of a jam. Okay... five.)

So, yes, it's a great game, and I highly recommend it to you shooter fans. Have fun.

There you have it.

I will contribute one other factoid to this thread. While viewing the end credits, I noticed a familiar name among the various voice actors. I won't tell you who it was - mostly because I have no idea how to spell this guy's last name - but I will give you a hint:

Annoyed Grunt!

My guess is, he does the voice of Krunk. :)

I had a $30 gift certificate and bought it at Sam Goody recently as a blind purchase. I wanted to rent the game first but I got tired of waiting for Blockbuster to get their copy in for the PS2 and Gamecube (they never got the XBox version).

I have a feeling this game is going to get reduced in price very soon and I'm going to kick myself for buying it so hastily.

For any of you guys planning on buying this game, I'd definitely try to get the Xbox version if possible. The Gamecube is pretty decent and is in the same ballpark as the Xbox BUT...the PS2 version definitely looks worse than the other 2. Frame rate sucks and alot of the cool lighting effects are completely gone.

I think there is a comparison on Gamespots site where you can view a video of the same bit of gameplay but, on each different system. The PS2 is glaringly not up to snuff....my opinion.

Originally posted by J.Fo@Jan 14 2004, 12:25 AM

I will contribute one other factoid to this thread. While viewing the end credits, I noticed a familiar name among the various voice actors. I won't tell you who it was - mostly because I have no idea how to spell this guy's last name - but I will give you a hint:

Annoyed Grunt!

My guess is, he does the voice of Krunk. :)

I know it's not really Rip Torn (at least I'd be very surprised), but has anyone else thought that Colonel Alloy sounds a lot like Zed from Men In Black?

Originally posted by Kain rising@Jan 15 2004, 05:11 PM

I know it's not really Rip Torn (at least I'd be very surprised), but has anyone else thought that Colonel Alloy sounds a lot like Zed from Men In Black?

You know, I've been trying to put my finger on whose voice that is. It sounded familiar, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm sure you're right about it not being Rip Torn's voice, but it does sound just like him.

Weird.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Jan 16 2004, 05:11 AM

You guys could check the iMdb perhaps? I know they list a lot of video game credits on their site. I'd do it myself, but I'm a lazy, lazy man :P.

Hmmm, good idea. Any volunteers? :D

Seriously, I just went and checked... no credits for "Metal Arms" under his listing.

Doing a search on Google for 'Rip Torn Metal Arms' it is apparent that we're not the only ones to think Alloy sounds like him though. ;)

Supposedly the Xbox has "tearing" issues, though I'm not sure what that refers to.

The developers disabled Vsync in the game, letting it go over 60 (or is it 30?) fps at times.

What happens is a "tear" appears along the top of the screen, as if it is a split second behind the bottom part of the sceen.

To be honest, I've played the game for hours, and although it's mildly annoying at first, I completely don't notice it (or don't care about it) now. None of my friends who have played the game have said a thing about it either while playing it.

I still think the Xbox version looks better than the Gamecube version but only slightly. Both versions look extremely better than the PS2 version. The DD5.1 and the fact I hate the C-Stick on the Gamecube controller are what sold the Xbox version on me.