LCVG

EA Sports and FIFA End Partnership

Graeme

The current deal, which was to end after this year’s World Cup in Qatar, has been adjusted to run through to the Women’s World Cup next summer. Once that tournament is over, the company said, 150 million FIFA video game players will have to get used to a new name for the series: EA Sports FC.

The game itself will not change much. Most of the world’s famous clubs and stars will still be playable because of separate licensing deals with their teams and leagues, even though the World Cup itself and other FIFA-controlled events will no longer be included. Still, the continuation of the game does not alter the seismic nature of the rebranding.

Apparently this has been expected for awhile, but still very surprising news. 

I remember eagerly waiting for the first FIFA game on Genesis when EA was redefining what sports games should be. It seemed like EA would make FIFA games forever. 

11 hours ago, dogbert said:

It's been rumoured since the end of last year when there were stories of FIFA demanding a ridiculous sum for a renewal.

From the NY Times article it seems like FIFA wanted more money (about $300 million a year, up from $150) and also give less exclusivity so that they could license the FIFA name to other digital products. 

Not wanting to limit their ability to license the FIFA brand does make sense as the landscape has most certainly changed in the last 10 years since their last deal. Mobile games of various types, VR Games, gambling games, NFTs (shudder). It doesn’t make sense to give out exclusivity and possibly limit other opportunities, and rely on EA.

I can also understand FIFA thinking they should get more from EA, as FUT is such a money maker and I would guess that FIFA doesn’t get a cut of that and think they should. That’s not to say that they deserve it, but can understand why FIFA thinks they should get more. 

On the other hand, I can also understand EA thinking that they don’t need the FIFA brand and that the club teams are much more valuable licenses. But FIFA is synonymous with EA’s games and I think there could possibly be something lost with the switch. It would almost be like them losing “Madden” and changing their game to “EA Sports NFL”. “Madden” is, at this point, EA’s NFL games more than anything else. People who play Madden barely know who John Madden is, but they know what Madden is. 

At the very least, it should provide some more competition for Football/Soccer games as FIFA is stating that there will still be a FIFA game. Competition is something that sports games as a whole are sorely missing nowadays.  I’m willing to bet that it will be filled with micro transactions though. 

58 minutes ago, Graeme said:

At the very least, it should provide some more competition for Football/Soccer games as FIFA is stating that there will still be a FIFA game. Competition is something that sports games as a whole are sorely missing nowadays.  I’m willing to bet that it will be filled with micro transactions though. 

Whoever picks up the licence to do their own football game is going to have some hard hills to climb initially to get up to par. 

The fact that so many of the club licenses, player licenses, and so forth for FIFA are separately negotiated is mind-boggling to me. It speaks to the juggernaut that FIFA is that EA is willing to fund the additional overhead in marketing, legal, etc. to make it happen.

It also makes me wonder how much of a headache it is to negotiate rights for the college football title in the NIL era.