LCVG

Sly Cooper 5 to be announced soon: leak

6 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I never finished any of them past the first game.

They're all good, in my opinion with the second being my favorite. They all go down real easy, too. The first three can be finished in under 10 hours easily. I think the fourth took me a bit longer to finish, but that's mostly because some of the bottle clues were hidden so well on a few of the stages -- and I absolutely had to find them all!

13 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That'd be great if true. I've been wanting a revival of the series for an age.

I would just be happy to see Sony make more games like this, period. As much as I love the likes of their gritty, story-based single-player narratives, I would like to see them make more games like Astro and Ratchet.

Just now, JFo said:

I would like to see them make more games like Astro and Ratchet.

100%. Not everything needs to be a post-apocalyptic save-the-world epic saga. Not that I have a problem with those things, mind you, but I've seen enough "modern day as archaeology" to last me a while.

23 minutes ago, JFo said:

They're all good, in my opinion with the second being my favorite. They all go down real easy, too. The first three can be finished in under 10 hours easily. I think the fourth took me a bit longer to finish, but that's mostly because some of the bottle clues were hidden so well on a few of the stages -- and I absolutely had to find them all!

I would just be happy to see Sony make more games like this, period. As much as I love the likes of their gritty, story-based single-player narratives, I would like to see them make more games like Astro and Ratchet.

Yeah the Cooper Collection on the PS3 might get moved to to next on the list and I picked up the fourth game awhile back before PS3 prices started to explode when Sony announced they were killing the store.

As to your second comment, I couldn't agree more. Bring back Sly, Jak and Daxter and more Ratchet. Add in another full fledge Astro-Bot game and more of the Sony that released the likes of the Puppeteer back in the PS3 days and I'd be ecstatic.

47 minutes ago, JFo said:

44 minutes ago, Josh said:

100%. Not everything needs to be a post-apocalyptic save-the-world epic saga. Not that I have a problem with those things, mind you, but I've seen enough "modern day as archaeology" to last me a while.

Co-signed. I think I realised that I've personally damn near hit my limit with all the third person apocalyptic action games when I felt utterly cold about the release of Forbidden West and how un-engaging I found my attempted re-play of Zero Dawn. I just don't care anymore (hopefully Death Stranding will prove odd enough to maintain my interest when I finally get to trying it though). I suspect my third person action fatigue is also a reason I've been nudged back towards an interest in the retro games I grew up with as the 8 and 16bit eras allowed me to indulge in my platforming gluttony. I do keep feeling the Series X and PS5 could well be my last MS and Sony consoles as I am starting to feel like modern gaming has largely outgrown me.

We have Klonoa to look forward to very soon at least!

22 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Yeah the Cooper Collection on the PS3 might get moved to to next on the list and I picked up the fourth game awhile back before PS3 prices started to explode when Sony announced they were killing the store.

The Trilogy collection was great on the VITA too. I hope Sony bring some VITA titles to PS+/PS Store sooner rather than later (they can just limit the library to non-touch games as they did with the Playstation TV).

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Death Stranding will prove odd enough to maintain my interest when I finally get to trying it though

Be warned - it's basically a post-apocalyptic save-the-world affair.

Great game, mind you, with some fascinating new mechanics that kept me engaged, but it is what it is.

I think for me I just want to play some AAA stuff that's not so fucking pessimistic.

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Be warned - it's basically a post-apocalyptic save-the-world affair.

Great game, mind you, with some fascinating new mechanics that kept me engaged, but it is what it is.

Yes, I'm ready, but Kojima weirdness and that cast will hopefully hold my attention (that's really the only reason I can bring myself to make an exception and give it my time whenever I get onto PS+ Extra). 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think for me I just want to play some stuff that's not so fucking pessimistic.

Even Kirby was kind of apocalyptic and bleak. Kirby! It was countered by the cuteness and hilarity of ingesting a flight of stairs though.

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Co-signed. I think I realised that I've personally damn near hit my limit with all the third person apocalyptic action games when I felt utterly cold about the release of Forbidden West and how un-engaging I found my attempted re-play of Zero Dawn. I just don't care anymore (hopefully Death Stranding will prove odd enough to maintain my interest when I finally get to trying it though). I suspect my third person action fatigue is also a reason I've been nudged back towards an interest in the retro games I grew up with as the 8 and 16bit eras allowed me to indulge in my platforming gluttony. I do keep feeling the Series X and PS5 could well be my last MS and Sony consoles as I am starting to feel like modern gaming has largely outgrown me.

We have Klonoa to look forward to very soon at least!

It's not just platformers for me. My full and unending love of retro gaming keeps me sane and keeps the burnout away on modern game releases. I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy plenty of modern game releases but if its all that I had available to me, I don't think I would play as much as I do. I would also say that you're looking in the wrong places if you are want for platformers. Put that Game Pass sub to use and deep dive into the indie scene. There's so much retro style goodness available there!

I don't want retro. I don't want low-fi. I do not feel the nostalgia for 240i polygons and sprites. I want 4K 60FPS ray-traced eye and ear candy. I want -- as you suggested -- a full-length Astro Bot. I want that all day every day. Put it in my veins.

1 minute ago, Romier S said:

It's not just platformers for me. My full and unending love of retro gaming keeps me sane and keeps the burnout away on modern game releases. I have enjoyed and continue to enjoy plenty of modern game releases but if its all that I had available to me, I don't think I would play as much as I do.

Yeah. I made this point in another thread recently about racing games, and how much I miss arcade racing games (like TRUE arcade racing games Namco and SEGA used to give us). We've lost the feel of those in part due to the loss of arcades in general I suppose, but a nudge toward photorealism is also stripping away something I loved. As I wrote, I am starting to miss games that look like games.

1 minute ago, Romier S said:

I would also say that you're looking in the wrong places if you are want for platformers. Put that Game Pass sub to use and deep dive into the indie scene. There's so much retro style goodness available there!

Yes, I don't doubt it. I'm in an odd place though really as I've lost interest in investing much when it comes to buying games these days, so Game Pass and PS+ are excellent services for me, but at the same time I feel overwhelmed by everything there is to play when I've kind of hit a point in my life where I don't want to be playing games that much anymore, and what I do find myself want to revisit is the old stuff.

7 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Put that Game Pass sub to use and deep dive into the indie scene. There's so much retro style goodness available there!

Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of Nobody Saves the World. Next up is Tunic. They're not platformers by any stretch, but they are fun modern takes of old-school games. It's a nice change of pace after spending months playing (and loving) Horizon Forbidden West.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't want retro. I don't want low-fi. I do not feel the nostalgia for 240i polygons and sprites. I want 4K 60FPS ray-traced eye and ear candy. I want -- as you suggested -- a full-length Astro Bot. I want that all day every day. Put it in my veins.

This is all I hear when I read this post. 

26 minutes ago, JFo said:

Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of Nobody Saves the World. Next up is Tunic. They're not platformers by any stretch, but they are fun modern takes of old-school games. It's a nice change of pace after spending months playing (and loving) Horizon Forbidden West.

I just fired up the Series X and ended up playing what I've played the last three times I've turned it on... The Disney Afternoon Collection.

41 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yes, I don't doubt it. I'm in an odd place though really as I've lost interest in investing much when it comes to buying games these days, so Game Pass and PS+ are excellent services for me, but at the same time I feel overwhelmed by everything there is to play when I've kind of hit a point in my life where I don't want to be playing games that much anymore, and what I do find myself want to revisit is the old stuff.

It’s a rabbit hole is all I’ll say there.:) A good one at that. Gaming has been a part of my life since I was 8 years old and I don’t regret a single dollar I put into. That goes double for what I’ve spent on the retro gaming front. I own what amounts to an $700 PSX when you add in the mods and install costs but it nets me the complete PSX library at my fingertips with the highest quality HDMI output and software support out there. Everdrives are /amazing/ devices! MiSTer is just nuts! Analogue makes insanely good hardware, etc. The amount of options on the retro front is sheer insanity.

The PSX/Saturn era was probably the most experimental time as developers were coming to grips with 3D and I’ll just say - so many of those games hold up tremendously well. I just replayed Clock Tower on the PSX and had an absolute blast with it. I stood in awe at how fantastic it looked on a 20L5 PVM. That stuff hits with me and it fills a hole that modern gaming doesn’t. Part of it is certainly nostalgia but even revisiting something as recent as Resistance 3 on the PS3 for example (yes, PS3 is retro now), it’s amazing to see how much sensibilities and design ethos has changed in the last 10-15 years in the AAA space. 

I also love me some 4K60, 4K120, and VRR-enabled eye candy that the likes of something like Ratchet and Clank provides. I want that applied to a more diverse set of genres for sure and not just third person adventure games. However, I also love me some 240p sprites, and simple shaded polygons. Those known quantities/classics that are there when the gloss has worn off and I’m ready to spend less than 40 hours with a game. Sometimes, I just want simple. I love having the options that I do at my disposal and it’s never been easier to diversify your gaming tastes/habits.

On the Sly front, I’d be curious to see who Sony gets to develop. Sanzaru Games developed the last one (Thieves in Time) but they got scooped up by Facebook to be an Occulus focused dev.

Sucker Punch is likely knee deep in a Tsushima sequel though they could have a secondary team working on it, I suppose but my fear there is that it would be a smaller scale side project and not a full on focused entry in the series. I think Sly deserves a Rift Apart level treatment if he’s coming back.

Sly cooper is definitely a series I should visit. It’s always appealed to me, but I’ve just never played it more than a couple of minutes. 

Mainly I think because I just never really played PS2 or PS3 much. 

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

It’s a rabbit hole is all I’ll say there.:) A good one at that. Gaming has been a part of my life since I was 8 years old and I don’t regret a single dollar I put into. That goes double for what I’ve spent on the retro gaming front. I own what amounts to an $700 PSX when you add in the mods and install costs but it nets me the complete PSX library at my fingertips with the highest quality HDMI output and software support out there. Everdrives are /amazing/ devices! MiSTer is just nuts! Analogue makes insanely good hardware, etc. The amount of options on the retro front is sheer insanity.

Yes. I don't ever see myself throwing gobs of money at mods as I don't think I'm 100% in pursuit of pixel perfect accuracy, owning a CRT again...etc...etc. MiSTer is of interest, though I also like the Analogue consoles as they would allow me to play my original cartridges, so I'd have a fuzzy feeling going back and playing my actual original copies. On a similar note, my Playstation's laser is long dead, but I like the idea of modding it with the SD card and HDMI mods which would at least still allow me to retain my original console (though I have the PS2 slim, modded for region free, that would still natively run my discs).

Anyway, I can continue this in your Retro thread. I've de-railed this one enough with my mid life gaming crisis.

6 hours ago, Josh said:

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

Wow. It was just a thought. That’s interesting if it does end up being them though.

That could be a solid choice. That reminds me I need to install Concrete Genie from PS+. 

I'm really interested in the note about Sony Computer Animation being involved too.