LCVG

High On Life Announced (GamePass)

Romier S

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Anyone playing this? It's currently the most played game on Game Pass.

What I've tried is very Rick & Morty-esque, but with some rock solid old school fps gameplay/structure.

It's next on my list once I've completed Sonic Frontiers (which is actually a blast in its own right!). I downloaded it last night. 

33 minutes ago, JFo said:

Well, that's unexpected. I wonder what's driving so much interest in this game. Is it the Justin Roiland connection here?

Perhaps. General word of mouth seems to be helping it the most though by the sound of things. My first impressions are that it's silly, easy and very entertaining. Couple that with being an original property and it's not too difficult to see how it has become a sleeper hit.

"I can't believe you Hans Gruber'd us, you piece of shit!"

I think I am very susceptible to finding the cadence of speech in Roiland's work especially amusing. The voice work throughout the Buck Thunder sequence for example had me giggling so much. It's all so very silly (I think it taps into why I find the fake TV shows occasionally glimpsed in Rick and Morty so funny). 

“Hi, it’s your divorce lawyer. Phil.”

Buck Thunder got some good laughs.

The game in general is very amusing and a lot of fun thus far. The actual shooting mechanics feel pretty good but it takes a good while for some variety to kick in and for your character to get access to a second weapon. It’s probably my main criticism at the moment but i’m sure it’ll get there..

Also, Knifey often makes me laugh more than anything. His blood lust is hilarious lol.

After getting Knifey ("I'm more than just a knife, you racist!") it didn't take too long to get two more new guns so I think you'll be happy with the progression on that front going forward. My last save was after getting Gus but you may end up with him before Sweezy depending on which job you choose to take first.

I like how some of the NPCs get pissed off if you just walk away from them while they're talking. 

So after 90 minutes of trying to fight Krubis, I give the fuck up. Apparently there’s a glitch that will make him disappear and become invisible - hence you can’t kill him. I’ve restarted checkpoints and even reinstalled the game. Nothing. Apparently the devs are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. Until then, I’m done with the game. Too many good games to play waiting in the wings so this will get bumped down until it’s been good and patched.

I’m pretty pissed considering the game really started clicking for me, too. It’s certainly left a sour taste to be sure. I’m understanding of bugs and issues bug when they completely halt progress, it’s @Angry the Clownand “Days Gone” for me at the moment.

Finished this up. There's maybe one bounty too many as the tone of the game does begin to drag as one might expect, but the final mission (and the final gun in particular) had me giggling all over again. It was definitely a fun holiday distraction if you have a tolerance for this kind of juvenile humour, and a pretty ideal Game Pass game. There's nothing as funny as the game's opening though. 

I'm starting up the bounty on Nipulon, here. I've been playing here and there in between catching up on shows and movie watching. The game has definitely gotten more interesting as more weapons and traversal options are given to the player but fundamentally, the core mechanics here are pretty eh? I mean, its a competent shooter but its certainly the humor/atmosphere/ridiculousness that drives the experience for me.

I would agree with @Angry the Clownthat very little tops the opening for sheer laugh out loud quality stuff in the game.

There is a later section where you have to rescue Lizzie and find her on a space wagon with her alien boyfriend Tweeg. They are arguing about how hard it is to have sex since they don't know where things go and one line he said in particular got a huge laugh out of me. It's the (and I'm paraphrasing): "I didn't know having sex with you was going to be a fucking Hellraiser puzzle box level affair."

That got me good. Otherwise, I do have to admit that the endless droning on style of comedy here does start to wear thin after awhile. At times, I can't help but feel like good old Arnold in Kindergarten Cop....

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF 

I'll likely wrap things up this weekend but I don't know if I care to 1000/1000 this one. This is the *perfect* Game Pass release though. It's great to run through, enjoy and move on. 

They could have made a 2hr game out of Buck Thunder and I'd have paid £10 for it. 

Some of the character interactions between the guns really pick up in the lead up to the final boss. I was really happy about that as it warmed me to the tone all over again after the period of fatigue. I also enjoyed verbal references to other games during the Nipulon mission.

The shout out to Donut County was particularly nice

• 2 weeks later...

Done-this game was actually way better than I expected.  I figured that the game part would really just be there in service of delivering a Rick and Morty-ish story, but I was surprised that the shooter part of the game was actually pretty good.  It's definitely channeling Halo in a few ways, with recharging shields, a weapon that's basically a needler, and a meaty melee attack.  I don't know that I would have paid full price for it, but as something that just showed up on game pass, it was perfect.  I'm sure there's a bunch of things I missed (collectibles and dialog), although I don't really see going back to it.  You can reload into the world after you beat the game, and I did realize that the locations that have places where you can use a warp disk are marked in the teleporter, so I was able to use the Movie Theater one last night. 

• 2 weeks later...