LCVG

What cloud backup do you use?

I currently use iCloud for my family iPhone fleet. 200gb edition. But my daughter is such a photo/video factory, she’s already used up the whole plan.

I also have a 10TB iDrive plan to backup our world. We also use dropbox to sync phone photos to our PCs, organize them, and then up to iDrive.

I need to resolve our iCloud situation. I have some ideas. What do y’all do? 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

I use Backblaze for my computer and external drives. For my phone, Smugmug backs up my pictures on my phone, so I only pay for the 200GB iCloud plan which covers everything else. 

Gsuite covers everything for work.

I never heard of Backblaze but it sounds like it’s similar to iDrive. Thanks for putting Backblaze in my list.

I was thinking, for a lot of my family, the biggest issues is filling up phones with photos and they all eventually transition to the $10 iCloud plan. The scam is there's no option between 200Gb and 2TB. Google is the same as far as I know. But iCloud literally "just works" and has been a great solution.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

I was thinking, for a lot of my family, the biggest issues is filling up phones with photos and they all eventually transition to the $10 iCloud plan. The scam is there's no option between 200Gb and 2TB. Google is the same as far as I know. But iCloud literally "just works" and has been a great solution.

Yeah... they are the kings of upselling storage including local

Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Backblaze here too, since early this year. I was using CrashPlan but they stopped offering consumer plans. The only thing I dislike about Backblaze is their policy on external drives. You must connect the drive at least once every 30 days to maintain the cloud backup. I understand why, but I feel like they should allow 60 days. They do send you warnings, but 30 goes by quickly. I'd hate to be away on vacation, or something when that time lapses, and loose 7+TB of cloud backups.

A few times I've connected the drive just to reset the 30 day counter, and it took a few hours for the drive to be recognized. However, I just learned that you can force it to recognize the drive, by re-scanning. It takes about 10 min, but it's better than hours!

I have two 2TB accounts with Google One (their paid version of Google Drive). One is specifically for music storage and the other is photos + documents + my phone backup. It's probably not the most intelligent way to pay since it's about $240/yr for the two accounts and Google offers a single 5TB account for $250. I did it that way because I wanted my music files separate from everything else.

I've been on backblaze for years, and it's amazing.  Unlimited backup is something like $100/2 years for one PC.  I have my media server connected to backblaze, so everything on that is in my cloud backup (about 19TB at present).  For photos, docs etc I have phones backing up to OneDrive (I've got 120GB of free storage on there).  Then I have the sync client installed on the media server, so photos go from phone to OneDrive to media server to Backblaze, so they're stored in two places.  Backblaze also offers private encryption key support, so file content is secure, and default is 30d version history.  The initial backup takes a while (especially if you're doing movies), but incremental changes are quick, and restoring individual files is really fast.  I've had three drives go in my media PC, and I've recovered everything using the cloud backup. 

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Backblaze also offers private encryption key support, so file content is secure, and default is 30d version history. 

I realized this the other day and was thinking about turning it on. Do you have to re-upload anything or is it as simple as generating the key.