LCVG

Embracer Group acquires Tuxedo Labs and Tripwire Entertainment (and more)

Romier S

• Romier S changed the title to Embracer Group acquires Tuxedo Labs and Tripwire Entertainment (and more)

Along with the Tatsujin acquisition, they’ve acquired the entire Toaplan catalogue (!!):

We are also proud to officially announce that we recently acquired Tatsujin which is Embracer's first studio located in Japan. Tatsujin is led by Masahiro Yuge, one of the founders of the iconic arcade games studio Toaplan known for games such as Truxton, Snow Bros and Flying Shark. Acquiring the rights to the Toaplan catalogue separately in another deal means Tatsujin with several employees that once created the Toaplan games can now curate these classics and shepherd them into the future.

Embracer financials are still weird and unsustainable. They purchase these companies for an immediate boost to income, but they're not anywhere near consistently profitable, not on the scale of the money they're spending in acquisitions. When/if this comes tumbling down, there's going to be a LOT of burned studios. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/958891/profit-of-thq-nordic/

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

Embracer financials are still weird and unsustainable. They purchase these companies for an immediate boost to income, but they're not anywhere near consistently profitable, not on the scale of the money they're spending in acquisitions. When/if this comes tumbling down, there's going to be a LOT of burned studios. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/958891/profit-of-thq-nordic/

It really is quite a troubling business practice. I'm not sure I'd even heard the name Embracer until the Crystal Dynamics/Eidos sell off as I think when the name THQ Nordic fell of the radar I had assumed the company had been swallowed up or had gone bankrupt. 

embracer financials are still weird and unsustainable. They purchase these companies for an immediate boost to income, but they're not anywhere near consistently profitable, not on the scale of the money they're spending in acquisitions. 

Yep. Basically a pyramid scheme. I’ve not dug into the details of the dollars, but just based on what I’ve read, I’d give it two years before it collapses. That might be generous.