LCVG

Sony Announces Dual Sense Edge Wireless Controller for PS5 - $199 US, 239.99€, £209.99 releases 1/26/2023

JFo

Introducing the DualSense Edge wireless controller, the ultra-customizable controller for PlayStation 5

Sony:

Today, we are thrilled to unveil the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PlayStation 5, the first-ever high-performance, ultra-customizable controller developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Designed to give you an edge in gameplay by allowing you to create custom controls, the DualSense Edge wireless controller invites you to craft your own unique gaming experience tailored to your playstyle.

Long story short, this is the PlayStation version of the Xbox Elite controller, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect. Here's the teaser video:

This feature is probably the one that makes this controller stand out from the Xbox equivalent:

●       Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately).

In other words, instead of just swapping out the sticks, you can replace the entire mechanism, presumably if the sticks wear out or start to drift.

No price or release date as of yet. Given how much I use and love my Elite Series 2 controller, I'm very interested in this.

• 1 month later...

January 26th, 2023 release date at $199 US, 239.99€, £209.99.

PS Blog post:

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/10/18/dualsense-edge-wireless-controller-for-ps5-launches-globally-on-january-26/

The US price is in line with plenty of these “pro” controllers and is a $20 difference from the Elite V2. Considering the functionality on offer, I’m still very much interested.

That Euro price though?

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

I can understand our friends in Europe being up in arms between this and the console price increases. I shudder at the cost of PSVR2 in general;.

• Romier S changed the title to Sony Announces Dual Sense Edge Wireless Controller for PS5 - $199 US, 239.99€, £209.99 releases 1/26/2023
  • 3 months later...

Got mine today. It's got a decent add of weight and the buttons do feel more clicky than the standard DualSense, I like the feel better than the Xbox Elite and frankly the DualSense just fits my hands better. Nice thing is it fits in the controller Charger that came out when the PS5 first launched. Sony's done a good job with the software, you can quickly make adjustments to profiles and switch profiles using the Function buttons. I do wish they had done 4 back side buttons like Microsoft did on the Elite. The case is nice but I do think this is another area the Xbox Elite is better, especially with the charging dock.

On 1/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, Whooter said:

Mine came yesterday, too.  Haven't had a chance to fool with it other than syncing it to my PS5.

I still prefer the Xbox Elite, because I like the offset sticks, but this is a nice piece of hardware.  Looking forward to fiddling with it more over the weekend.

I used to be an offset stick fan. The DualShock 4 proved me wrong and the DualSense has just cemented my beliefs.