LCVG

Assassin's Creed Mirage Announced — Coming in 2023 (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PS4, and PC)

JFo

Here's the cinematic announcement trailer:

Ubisoft:

In Assassin’s Creed Mirage, you are Basim, a cunning street thief with nightmarish visions, seeking answers and justice. After an act of deadly retribution, Basim flees Baghdad and joins an ancient organization – The Hidden Ones. As he learns their mysterious rituals and powerful tenets, he will hone his unique abilities, discover his true nature, and come to understand a new Creed – one that will change his fate in ways he never could have imagined. 

Ubisoft has also confirmed that this entry will return the series to its roots, eschewing the RPG-oriented direction of OriginsOdyssey, and Valhalla:

In an additional briefing shown to the press, Ubisoft Bordeaux revealed a number of additional details. Much like the early entries in the series, this is a city-set game, and Baghdad is split into four different districts. Beyond Baghdad we'll also visit Alamut, the fortress headquarters of the Hidden Ones.

The world has been designed with both parkour routes and stealth in mind, so expect plenty of pathways up to rooftops and hiding spots. A new, more granular detection system has been made to allow greater detail in stealth encounters. Ubisoft says you can also expect the return of some classic parkour moves, including the corner swing, and for the pace of freerunning to be faster than in the older games.

The move back to a more classic game template also means that the RPG structure of modern Assassin's Creed games has been removed; Mirage is described as a more linear game with a heavy focus on story. Like the original games, there will be stretches of linear mission chains, and then segments where you will be able to choose from a number of different available quests.

I have to admit, this does look very Assassin's Creed-y — at least based on all the titles I've played up through Syndicate. It will be interesting to see if fans embrace this new/old direction or if it will just alienate the people who fell in love with the franchise with Origins onward.

At any rate, it makes me feel like I need to get my ass in gear and finish the last two games in my Assassin's Creed series play through. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I will play Valhalla (or this), but I don't want to fall behind even further than I already have.

Additionally, Ubisoft laid out a roadmap of upcoming games, several of which are mobile titles. However, the next big AAA game — Codenamed Assassin's Creed: Codenamed Red — is apparently going to be set in feudal Japan, something fans have been asking for for years.

An interesting homage to Ezio there at the end. It’s an near direct lift from the AC2 cinematic trailer. Even down to the mask being tossed.

(Go to about the 2:50 mark):

The music also calls back to Ezio’s family theme (and my favorite piece of Assassins Creed music):

That’s either an amazing coincidence or there is some kind of tie-in, perhaps?

Interesting to note though, the standard edition of this game will cost only $49.99US.  That is due to the smaller scope of this title, which supposedly clocks in around the 15-20 hour mark like many early games in the series. 

There is, of course, a deluxe edition and ultimate edition that retail for $59.99 and $149.99 respectively. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/assassins-creed-mirage-release-date-collectors-edition

• 4 months later...

The Next Assassin's Creed Is Smaller Because Past Games Got Way Too Big

Zack Zweizen, writing for Kotaku:

In an interview with GamesRadar, Assassin’s Creed Mirage’s creative director Stéphane Boudon explained that while Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla were all “great games” that let players “live an epic journey” it was clear that those players were longing for something different and smaller.

“Amongst our fans, we started hearing the desire for a character-driven story, focused on the core pillars of the first ACs in a more intimate scale,” explained Boudon. “It resonates with us as well, as developers, and this was the starting point of the project.”

Boudon also said that while Mirage came about from a “convergence of several inputs” the biggest driver behind the upcoming spin-off’s smaller scale and focus on narrative came from what the community was asking for after years of huge RPGs.

I’m only on the opening chapters of Origins as I write this, so I’m not yet “burnt out” on the massive RPG-style games in the series. However, smaller, shorter games are always appreciated — especially when there are so many other titles I’m dying to play.