LCVG

GTA6 has leaked. Confirmed to be real.

Romier S

Take Two/Rockstar have confirmed these leaks are real..

What’s out there is obviously an extremely early build and not a single person should be judging visuals or much of anything off of the footage. This is a massive leak though. One of the largest in the industry that I can remember since maybe Half-Life 2. I’ve decided that I personally have no interest in feeding these types of leaks moving forward. They are not good for the industry in any way or for the folks busting their humps to bring us these games but I do think the topic is worth discussing.

There are roughly 80+ videos making the rounds today so it’s not an insignificant leak, either.

• Romier S changed the title to GTA6 has leaked. Confirmed to be real.
9 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

BUH I CAN'T IDENTIFY IF I GOTS TO PLAY AS A WOMAN!

80 videos is insane. When was the last massive leak like this, or leak that even came close?

I mentioned it in my original post - Half Life 2. The Last Of Us Part II was pretty bad as well but in so far as impact, Half Life 2 springs to mind.

From The Verge:

It’s not exactly clear how the footage was obtained, but the “teapotuberhacker” poster claims to be behind the unrelated Uber hacklate last week, and says they may “leak more data soon” including GTA V and GTA VI source code, assets, and testing builds.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/18/23359156/gta-6-leak-gameplay-footage-90-videos

Not good. 

3 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I mentioned it in my original post - Half Life 2. The Last Of Us Part II was pretty bad as well but in so far as impact, Half Life 2 springs to mind.

Interesting. I honestly don't remember that, but I had never given the Half Life franchise any attention until Half life 2 actually came out so the news at the time probably wasn't on my radar.

23 hours ago, Romier S said:

I’ve decided that I personally have no interest in feeding these types of leaks moving forward.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again: Jason S is bad for the industry. He leaves behind him a wake of backstabbing, leaks, and internal gaming gossip and rumors that have done more to tear apart teams than anything else.

Sure, someone else would have run with the scoop, but Jason has made it an ugly artform.

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

I've definitely noticed is journalistic standards slipping. It's fair criticism to be sure. 

He's the dirty gossip journalist of the gaming industry. Has been for years. People like it because it's intriguing, but gossip always has been.

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

The mental gymnastics so many people make in their responses to these threads on Twitter about how RockStar deserves this because they haven’t released any screenshots, video or information on the game is just mind boggling.

More than that it's the entitlement, as if Rockstar owes them videos and screenshots, and if they don't give those to them, well, then, we're gonna phish them out of their private Slack channels, and after it happens, then it's your own fault. Oh, and look at how shitty these textures are!

Not to dig deeper on this, but what Jason did was akin to a paparazzi confirming that a particular celeb is in a leaked sex (or whatever) video. It just feeds the gawkers. It just exacerbates all of this.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

More than that it's the entitlement, as if Rockstar owes them videos and screenshots, and if they don't give those to them, well, then, we're gonna phish them out of their private Slack channels, and after it happens, then it's your own fault. Oh, and look at how shitty these textures are!

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they're also the exact same "fans" who lost their shit following the recent announcement that you'll be playing as a woman for a lot of the game.

I'm baffled by the stupidity of so many knocking the visuals in the GTA leaks. How is it in a world where there is no shortage of detail about how media is made that so many choose to be so wilfully ignorant of the process?

Anyway, there was a good bit of trolling (or dare I say CON-trolling? ...Yes, I do) from Control's lead designer:

On 9/21/2022 at 3:27 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Anyway, there was a good bit of trolling (or dare I say CON-trolling? ...Yes, I do) from Control's lead designer:

That kind of thing is always fun to see, and I was actually surprised that it looked that good in that prototype.  Does that mean that the character model/animations were reused/standard, or was that actually early production animation?  I usually think of "beginning of development" prototypes as something that would just be flat unshaded boxes moving around testing gameplay systems.  Obviously that control footage is still far from done, but is that the typical "starting point" for modern game dev?  I suppose there's usually models around that can be temped in at a studio these days.