LCVG

Oi, Dan, Iain! Train Strikes

dogbert

So I'm going to be in London next weekend (October 8th/9th) - I've already had to book a flight from Glasgow instead of taking a train down because of this impending rail strike... And I'm expecting my train from Stanstead to London will suck... But what's the likely impact for getting around London on the Tube on Saturday? Just "expect it to be busier"? 

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/london-train-and-overground-strikes-in-october-everything-you-need-to-know-092622

12 minutes ago, dogbert said:

But what's the likely impact for getting around London on the Tube on Saturday? Just "expect it to be busier"? 

I reckon so, but probably not even noticeably busier since the bulk of traffic is almost always bound to the tube on weekends anyway. Crowding on the busses didn't seem to be too heavily impacted last time round either. 

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

Have you got any free time at all while you're in town?

Depends on trains 😆 I get into Stanstead at noon on Saturday 8th + have to make my way down. Fly from Heathrow at 1:50 on Sunday the 9th, so I'll likely catch the express around 10:30. 

Current agenda is (ideally) the Tottenham stadium shop, a walk around the Tate Modern, and possibly the Stuart Braithwaite reading/signing at Rough Trade East in the evening. Depends heavily on travel impacts, honestly. I haven't had time in London just me in 22 years. At the very least, could do a coffee/breakfast on Sunday no problem within that time schedule if you're available. 

Might be a bit more if you’re starting from Paddington, mind you, because you change at Hammersmith otherwise. From here, it’s certainly easier to stay on the Tube. 

Oh, and bugger: there are Replacement Bus Services from Hammersmith instead of the Piccadilly line until 8am tomorrow, so that also might complicate matters. Express is running, if you want to pay to simplify the journey, which is particularly handy if you’ve got a lot of luggage. . 

18 hours ago, iainl said:

Might be a bit more if you’re starting from Paddington, mind you, because you change at Hammersmith otherwise. From here, it’s certainly easier to stay on the Tube. 

Oh, and bugger: there are Replacement Bus Services from Hammersmith instead of the Piccadilly line until 8am tomorrow, so that also might complicate matters. Express is running, if you want to pay to simplify the journey, which is particularly handy if you’ve got a lot of luggage. . 

At this point, I'm fine with the express. 

And yeahhhhhh that's exactly what I"m facing next Saturday with getting around from Stanstead down.. I'm light on luggage - one bag + a messenger bag - on purpose. 

I must admit, if not walking I do tend to favour the bus over the tube (for cost certainly, but also because I like to watch the world pass by and the noise of the tube trains rattling and screeching is often more than I can stand). In London I've rarely had the bus service fail on me. 

Sad I didn't get a chance to see you in the end. One of these days, damn it.