LCVG

Favorite All-time Controller

Carlucci

Which has been your all-time favorite console controller  

1. 1. Which has been your all-time favorite console controller

• PS2 dual shock
    • Nintendo Gamecube
    • Nintendo 64
    • Xbox (and let us know if you like the original or the S)
    • DreamCast
    • Atari 2600 (keep it simple)
    • ColecoVision
    • Intellivision
    • Atari 5200

My vote goes to the Xbox "S". I don't like the original Xbox controller, mainly because of the A-B-X-Y buttons. The buttons hurt my thumb after playing for a while and the diamond layout causes me to hit the wrong button too frequently. I also don't like the size and the placement of the white and black buttons.

The GC's WaveBird gets a lot of points from me just because it does the wireless thing so well and inexpensively.

I like the DC controller's VMU capability, but the controller feels like it puts my wrists at an unnatural angle when I'm playing twitch games like DOA.

-j

Mine goes easily to the Dual Shock. It's the most comfortable, versatile, and time-tested. The four face buttons make sense, the analog sticks are like second nature now, and the main buttons are where they should be with nice, flat faces. The Controller-S is nice, but it has some issues, especially with the rounded buttons, the ridiculously-placed black and white buttons, and the impossible-to-find back and select buttons.

Controller S. Despite the black and white button issue (which usually doesn't cause me any problems on most games), everything else is great. The size, weight, solid feel, good triggers, staggered approach to the analog sticks, etc. Flat buttons would probably be an improvement, but overall it is my favorite controller. The Dual Shock is a very good controller (but a little too small for me) and the Gamecube/Wavebird is well done also, but the S gets the nod from me. :)

The original Xbox controller was like some large-scale model intended for museum display that accidentally made it into production. The S controller is far better, but the black/white button placement still rankles. I find the GameCube controller (specifically the Wavebird) the most comfortable. I'm not a big fan of the yellow nipple (which I have swapped out for another controller's main control stick) or the Z-button, but I have no problem with the D-pad or the unique button shapes. It just fits in my hands so perfectly there's no other choice.

I've gotta go with the Wavebird. No wires on an 'official' controller is the best thing since the analog stick.

Honorable mention goes to the Dual Shock for being a great design ahead of its time. It's still as comfortable and responsive as hell. I like the controller S for comfort and the triggers, but the face buttons just aren't as nice as those on the Dual Shock or 'cube controllers.

My least favorite of the newer ones is the dreamcast controller. The hard plastic and strange, non-ergonomic shape combine to cause me pain after a short time playing.

My fondness for the Intellivision and Coleco controllers notwithstanding, and to say nothing of those old red and black joysticks Epyx put out for the C64, I do love the Cube stick.

It is not perfect, the D-pad needs to be either enlarged so people can use it or just dropped outright (preferably the latter). The z-trigger needs to be usable or dropped too. But I love how it fits my hand, better than any controller I've used. I don't mind the Dual Shocks either.

I'd like to try the controller-S, as I am not a fan of the X-Box regular hefty stick, but I'd need a Box for that ;).

The Atari 2600. Very simple,very effective.That gets my vote.

Atari 5200 is probably the worst joystick ever made for a mainstream system - with the Colecovision close behind (the stick was way too small!)

I do miss the Intellivision disc - that thing was sensitive & accurate!

Modern faves are the "Brute" X-Box controller (perfect for me)

& the Nintendo GC Wavebird.

The PS2 dual shock,while comfy, break too easily for my tastes.

The DC controller was great (still miss the VMU) - but not enough buttons.

And the N64 analog stick wears out fast too,IMHO -otherwise that would have also gotten more props from me.

I do miss the Intellivision disc - that thing was sensitive & accurate!

I like the number pads too, clever way of making the most of your gamepad space and it made the RTS stylings of Utopia that much more palatable.

Coolest thing about the disc was that if it broke and popped off, it was still dead easy to play on the broken controller without the disc itself just the sensors. Still accurate!

Genesis pad all the way :)

Of current generation all three are good controllers, but the only one I would be hard pressed to think of anything I would change is the PS2. (Don't really like the button arrangements on the Wavebird and Xbox S needs easier access to white/black)

Originally posted by stencil@Jan 14 2004, 10:32 AM

Mine goes easily to the Dual Shock. It's the most comfortable, versatile, and time-tested. The four face buttons make sense, the analog sticks are like second nature now, and the main buttons are where they should be with nice, flat faces. The Controller-S is nice, but it has some issues, especially with the rounded buttons, the ridiculously-placed black and white buttons, and the impossible-to-find back and select buttons.

Pulled the words right out of my mouth. ;)

I would say the Wavebird as it's the best wireless controller ever made but that idiotic Nintendo button configuration is just too big of a pain for most games. Wavebird wins for me in the convenience category.

In terms of overall comfort and general preference I'd have to say Microsoft's 'S' Controller is the best I've ever used. If Microsoft made a wireless 'S' I would be a happy Camper. :)

My favorite pre-current gen controller would be the Jaguar's controller. It had a ton of potential with all those damn buttons. The Pro Controller even added shoulder buttons and 3 more action buttons.

I think my perfect controller would be basically the Wavebird with a larger D-Pad, a Z button that is in a better position so it's MUCH easier to press, place a second Z button on the other side, a more general button layout that would work better with more games (like PS2) , plus 2 more face buttons (similar to XBOX White and Black, but much with much better positioning.)

SNES is still my fave of all time. Great feel, well designed, innovative, and the best damn DPad ever, and I'm extremely picky about my DPads. I still don't know why nobody else on any system can't make a DPad as good as the SNES's. In fact, nobody has even really come close.

For current systems, I guess they're all OK, but none are perfect. I really like the S Controller, but the black and white buttons should just be put in line with the other 4. I guess they were originally designed to be secondary buttons, mainly for opening chat channels, or whatnot, but much like the "C" buttons on the N64, they've just become regualr multifuntion buttons that are in an odd spot. It has the best triggers of any system, the best analog sticks, and a functional DPad.

Gamecube controllers could be great. I really like the way the buttons are layed out for the most part, but there are a few things that bug me. I wish the B buttons was kidney shaped like the others, the C stick should just be a full sized stick, the Dpad is too small, the triggers don't have quite enough play, and I do wish that the edges of the sticks were round instead of octogonal (or whatever).

I've just never really been a fan of Sony's pads. The DPad is too stiff for fighting games, or anything that needs a fireball motions, but on the flipside the sticks are too loose and the main one should swap spots with the DPad. I've also never felt comfortable with it's buttons, but part of that could be just the way my brain functions. Although I've been playing with a PS since 95, I've never ever been able to memorize which shape is which button. I always have to look down to see which is which. In addition, I've never felt comfortable with 4 shoulder buttons, and haven't every memorizes which is L1 and L2. ABXY is much easier for me, and the colored buttons of the XB pad makes it even easier.

I've never ever been able to memorize which shape is which button.

You and me both, Graeme.

In that respect I'm glad the Cube has variable button size, as I know which one is the A, B, and X/Y right from the get-go.

The PSOne asks me to press the square and I actually have to look down and orient myself :P.

Originally posted by Nightwing@Jan 14 2004, 03:25 PM

Atari 5200 is probably the worst joystick ever made for a mainstream system - with the Colecovision close behind (the stick was way too small!)

I'll second that! I think I went through 6 of those controllers in the span I had my 5200. And on the two that worked, I had to take them apart constantly to clean the contacts of the buttons on the side.

At first I had problems with the 2600 controller, being left-handed, because the button was on the top left side. Then, Atari-Age Magazine printed a wonderful article with instructions on how to reorient you controller by rewiring it so the button was on top right. Then I was in gaming heaven.

Carlos.