LCVG

Return to Silent Hill - New movie coming from Christophe Gans (Silent Hill 2 adaptation)

Romier S

7 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

A core reason adaptations of games fall at the first hurdle for me is I’ve zero interest in passively engaging in a story I once had active engagement with when actually playing it. I think that's the fundamental flaw of game adaptations in general. Even the Last of Us, which I expect to make some decent diversions from the source and to be a genuinely excellent series, isn’t something I am eagerly longing to watch (I have no access to the channel that will run it in the UK anyway, so I won’t be able to see it until it hits iTunes/disc).

Silent Hill 2 is a superb game, a favourite, but I haven't gone back to it. I think because that first play through left such a lasting impression I’ve just never felt the need. Bloober team or no Bloober team (although preferably the latter), it felt that my reaction to the reveal of the remake yesterday would have likely been the same either way, which is to say that I’m intrigued that it exists, but am largely indifferent. Perhaps if they had not revealed it alongside the other new and unique titles coming in the series I might have felt more engaged because F and Townfall are far more compelling releases for me. 

Circling back to the movie, I just can’t get excited. I rather like the first film. It was a flawed, often hokey, but a largely admirable attempt at telling a Silent Hill story. Since I feel little for the prospect of actually playing SH2 as a remake, I’m even less interested in the thought of just sitting back and watching the story beats I know play out as a film.

19 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Silent Hill 2 is a superb game, a favourite, but I haven't gone back to it. I think because that first play through left such a lasting impression I’ve just never felt the need. Bloober team or no Bloober team (although preferably the latter), it felt that my reaction to the reveal of the remake yesterday would have likely been the same either way, which is to say that I’m intrigued that it exists, but am largely indifferent. Perhaps if they had not revealed it alongside the other new and unique titles coming in the series I might have felt more engaged because F and Townfall are far more compelling releases for me. 

I will just say that, for the record, I was the one bursting hype bubbles in the Medium thread and Discord when that game was initially revealed due to the quality of Bloober's previous games being hit or miss. I would have much preferred another developer at the helm here but I will say this, going into the reveal yesterday, I very much expected Masahiro Ito to be involved in one of the other rumored projects. Specifically, I expected him to be one of the key folks involved with Sakura/Silent Hill f. He has, in the past, been very adamant about not wanting to remake Silent Hill 2 and more specifically being a bit exhausted by the overuse of the Red Pyramid thing character in Silent Hill media. So the fact that Konami has brought him in and convinced him to help oversee this remake is frankly, an incredible win for the remake and fans of Silent Hill 2. It truly allays a ton of fears I had about what liberties that Bloober would take in presenting the narrative. Further reporting that Konami has them on a very short leash just makes me feel even better about its prospects. Do concerns remain? Of course. However, I am much more open to experiencing the game on its terms than just immediately slagging it off. Which would have been my reaction had Bloober been left to its own devices. The fact that the Remake reveal trailer sticks to a very faithful narrative direction helps tremendously as well.

It's a give and take situation. You'll notice that the trailer boasts "New music and sound design". I probably would have been raging against that but then Akira Yamaoka is the one doing the new music and sound design so I'm left with more openness to what changes he has in mind  (and I hope that much like the RE2 remake, the original soundtrack is still there as an option as its one of the greatest soundtracks ever to grace a game, IMO). What gameplay "improvements" are there are likely of the most concern to me. James is an everyman, after all. He should not be some mobile, dodge-happy hero protagonist in an action game. We'll see in that regard but I remain hopeful....

One feeling I am left with after the presentation yesterday is the continued missed opportunity by Konami in making the previous games available to today's audiences. How great would it have been for Konami to drop the original Silent Hill on PS Plus? It's a classic! They already have an exclusivity deal with Sony on the remake to its sequel. Licensing should not be an issue here.

PS2 Classics haven't been touched since the PS4 era. Why can't SH2, SH3 and SH4 be worked on and released? The fact that we're stuck with the shitty HD collection as the only means to experience SH2 and SH3 is in their woefully compromised state is a damned travesty.

Personally, I have access to play those games in the best conceivable environment (on OG hardware with a proper CRT and exceptional video quality) but most folks aren't insane like me with retro games. So having these unmitigated classics readily available is such a no brainer to me. I can't fathom why they haven't done it.