LCVG

Champions of Narrath (Voice Chat confirmed!)

Romier S

Heres the report on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/championso...ws_6086487.html

"Voice chat is the final piece of the puzzle with Champions," said Michael Lustenberger, director of marketing, Sony Online Entertainment. "It's the one feature that has been most requested in the game and we are pleased to announce its inclusion. With the addition of voice chat, we believe Champions is now far and away the leader in its genre."

The bad news, at least for some players, is that playing Champions of Norrath online will require a broadband connection because of the amount of data that passes between players talking and playing simultaneously.

Looks like they have gon broadband only with this one and voice chat now looks to be a definite in-game. Norrath is being developed by the fine folks at Snowblind Studio (the people behind the first Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance). Its an action hack and slash/RPG much like Dark Alliance set in the Everquest universe.

I *loved* dark alliance (and wish to god the sequel were online but alas) and this is a DEFINITE buy for me, without a doubt. I hope to see some of you other folks online with this one. Should be a blast.

It's a survival horror game where you control your character with voice commands only

They seem to backing off that a bit. I think that was what OPM said.

But Norrath seems like it'll be good. And with voice chat, I may be able to get my buddy to get the network adapter and headset.

Sean

According to Nyko, Champions of Norrath will also support keyboard communication for mimes (or those without headsets).

I'm looking forward to this game as well. I just wish these action RPGs didn't have such limited character choices (although, Champions at least has male and female versions of the five character choices).

With voice chat included I'm all over this when it comes out. I love playing Baldur's Gate style games with my friends. It'll be nice to to sit down for a little hack and slash with other LCVG'ers online without needing to resort to an Xbox live chat room running at the same time.

I just wish these action RPGs didn't have such limited character choices (although, Champions at least has male and female versions of the five character choices).

It is a little limiting but it sounds like there are a few options to visually alter your character.

Better than any japanese style rpg anyway.

Added: On the subject of keyboard support will any old usb keyboard work on the ps2?

Better than any japanese style rpg anyway.

Yeah, I hate that about Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, etc.) as well. :D

Some things I want in a console action RPG:

- Multiple race/class/gender combos (not preset ones) with customizable appearance

- Random dungeon generation or seamless integration of pre-created dungeons (a la Dungeon Siege)

- Changing equipped items is visually reflected in the character's appearance

- Online cooperative play

- Online dueling

- Multiplayer split-screen (it's annoying when multiple players are limited to the same screen and cannot move far apart from each other a la Gauntlet)

- 3D environment with user-controlled camera (including multi-axis rotation and zooming in and out)

- Voice or keyboard support for player communication

- Lots of spells, abilities, and items to earn/find/upgrade your character with

- No online fees (online fees should only be for persistent world MMORPGs)

- Variable difficulty depending on the number of players and their respective levels

Basically, I want a game that plays similar to Diablo II with 3D characters/environments and more character choices/customization. Diablo III? :D

Yeah, I hate that about Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, etc.) as well.

Its the reason I havent played a single RPG(unless you consider baldurs gate an rpg) on the PS2. Got tired of the preset characters and same old thing stories in all the psone rpg's.