LCVG

I want one

Buck

Originally posted by WarEagle@Jan 15 2004, 03:35 PM

I like the blue. Unfortunately the US never gets cool console colors like these.

Serves you right for buying the normal black one. If only you shunned it like an evil step-child, you might get fancy colours too.

Though that doesn't explain where the gorgeous white PS2 came from, nor why only Japan gets an orange Gamecube.

nor why only Japan gets an orange Gamecube.

I know, that always burns me. I have a spice controller and it's awesome. I'd have gone to whatever store had it in orange when I bought mine if it was an option.

I hate black as a console color, period. And that ugly SNES/PSOne gray. Give me new colors and I'm happy.

I can't seem to understand why the US can't get colored consoles for the life of me. Especially for the X-Box because the US is one of the very few places where it is selling reasonably well. The game companies could be making more of a killing if they released these in the states. I personally would get another PS2 if we had color options now. Oh well :cry:

As much as I'd love a Spice Gamecube (and seriously considered importing one to go along with my UK purple one), (a) my wife doesn't think its funny (though she does like the purple), and more importantly, (B) I've heard no end of stories from exasperated shop assistants having to deal with the fact that teenage boys think anything other than black is "gh3y". Mind you, these teenage boys probably thing the same of the GC in any colour, so there you go.

The exception to all this is that the silver PS2 has been enormously well received here in the UK, for the very simple reason that you can't easily buy a TV, DVD player or VHS deck in any other colour now, so the "sensible" black of the original no longer sits neatly in the rack as it was designed to.

None of these replies really answer the question about why the game companies do not release these other color consoles in the US. In reading about these other color systems I see that they are released in limited edition quantities. In some cases they only release 5 to 10 thousand systems. I'm not saying the PS2 or X-Box need to release millions of these. Why not start with 5 thousand and see how well they sell.

None of these replies really answer the question about why the game companies do not release these other color consoles in the US.

One of the replies does just that. This one:

As someone who works in retail, I'm glad there's only one color for most of the systems.

The simple fact of the matter is that console color isn't enough to spur new hardware sales. People intent upon buying an Xbox are going to buy one regardless of the color options.

Each different color is a different SKU and retailers simply don't want the inventory hassle of managing multiple SKUs unless there is a quantifiable increase in sales.

Originally posted by iCamp@Jan 18 2004, 01:14 AM

The simple fact of the matter is that console color isn't enough to spur new hardware sales. People intent upon buying an Xbox are going to buy one regardless of the color options.

Unfortunately for Nintendo, color is enough to hinder new hardware sales. Purple for a launch color was an unfortunate choice for the US market.

Purple for a launch color was an unfortunate choice for the US market.

What exactly are you basing this on? Study? Anecdote?

As AlbertA correctly pointed out, there was actually a black option available too. It's not like it was just a purple machine. I'm glad we had the choice personally. I guess some people can see it as a threat to their whatevers to own a purple console, but I'm damn glad there was a choice between black, as I'm sick of consoles trying to up their cool factor with black.

Guess what, they're video game consoles. They aren't going to be cool unless you store them in the freezer.

My regret, as noted, is that there was no orange option. I like my purple Cube, but I'd love to have picked one up in orange.

While my double-blind scientific study is still pending government funding, I think there's plenty of Internet forum evidence that the "purple purse" was perceived to be "kiddie" and "teh ghey." Do I think that's a stupid immature attitude? Sure, but it is out there. Americans are sadly pretty set in their color preferences. We like electronic components black, unless it's a computer, then we prefer greyish-beige.

• 2 weeks later...