LCVG

50 Most Influential Games of All-Time

Carlucci

1up.com just started a feature on the 50 most influential games of all time. The first article on Spacewar, is very well done and features links for media and more information.

This looks like it will be a very nice series on video game history. They are promising a new article every week, so let's discuss as this goes forward.

I really hadn't heard much about Spacewars. I guess I fell with the "Pong was first" crowd, so this article was a real eye-opener for me.

Its landmarks:

First computer game

First head-to-head game

Created first collaborative community

First open-source game

Directly inspired Nolan Bushnell's first game

Featured realistic physics model

Carlos.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they got things started on the right foot, I look forward to some good chit-chat on this. Great idea Carlos.

I'm guessing Pong ought to be next, just because as noted it did really start the craze off proper. Wondering what else will show up is even more fun ;). I think it's safe to say that Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros are both going to be guaranteed games.

I enjoyed playing Spacewar at work this afternoon. Then I had to take a work break and actually do some work. :shock: The game is pretty tough, but would be great with another player. I look forward to another walk back in time!

Originally posted by dogbert@Jan 15 2004, 06:35 PM

Is it going to be one game a day or will they be added in bunches?

One per WEEK, so we've got to be in it for the long haul! They don't mention if they are ranking the 50, or going chronologically.

I think it's safe to say that Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros are both going to be guaranteed games.

Those two should definitely be on the list. I'm sure Wolfenstein will be there too, if it is indeed the first FPS. And Space Invaders is deserving a spot too.

I'm finding it kinda hard to seperate "most influential" from "greatest" in my mind.

In their words, they are focusing on:

These are the innovators -- the creations which shaped entirely new genres. The revolutions that launched great designers to fame. The concepts that inspired countless other games. And of course the failures that brought mighty corporations to their knees.

So we should be seeing all the "firsts" out there. 1st RPG, 1st sideways scroller, 1st driving game, 1st sports game, 1st Light Gun game, 1st Horror, 1st sports title, etc.

Carlos.

Just to give advanced warning, I'll be spitting the dummy out around March, when it becomes clear that they've ignored Sandy White's Ant Attack, as the archetypal Isometric platformer and Survival Horror title, as well as being one of, if not the first games to offer you a choice to play as a boy or girl.

I'm always internally debating the "influential" versus "first" argument. Pong was certainly first (at least to the general public), but was it influential? Yes, it obviously showed there was a voracious demand for videogames, but are we playing any Pong-based games lately? Breakout is the only game I can think of that evolved from Pong, but then I'm no gaming historian. A game like Battle-Zone seems far more innovative to me (unusual twin-stick controls, radar, 3D modeling, target reticle, first-person viewpoint, periscope viewing, etc.). "Influential" might not even be the best word for what they're determining.

Well, fuck. I just went to 1up.com and looked at the actual list. It's the 50 essential games. Read before you speak, Appel. Yes, Pong is essential. But then, so is Battle Zone. That videogame was so addictive I actually preferred playing it over eating.

are we playing any Pong-based games lately?

Top Spin :)

Pong's influence was getting people to play games in the first place, combined with the crossover to the home machine. Space Wars was the first game, but Pong was the first to really get widespread play outside of the scientific community.

A lot of the "most influential" games are quite subtle as far as I'm concerned. They influenced designers & coders, they influenced people into making games rather than just playing them, as well as what they made.

Of course, what tends to happen is the list gets cluttered up by the usual suspects leaving little room for the likes of Ant Attack.

Well, fuck. I just went to 1up.com and looked at the actual list. It's the 50 essential games. Read before you speak, Appel. Yes, Pong is essential. But then, so is Battle Zone. That videogame was so addictive I actually preferred playing it over eating.

Gah, that's a total different kettle of fish.

The Essential 50 is not intended to be a comprehensive history of gaming. Nor is it a list of the best games of all time -- in fact, some of these games are the very worst ever created (which is why they're important). Rather, The Essential 50 is a look at the games which we feel have made gaming what it is today.

So it's a mixture of the "best", "the most influential", "the most innovative", "the most crap".

So we'll get ET listed. Again.

Pong started it all for me. My families first system was a hand me down Pong system given to us by a friend of the family. I recall it playing 3 versions of pong. It had knobs on either side of the unit. Wish I could remember what it was offically called. I'm sure it's lurking out on the net...

I believe it's safe to say we'll see Tetris on the list.

I distinctly remember the first time I saw/played Space Invaders. I must have been 10 or 11 years old. We were staying at a hotel directly across the street from Six Flags over Texas, and we were getting ready to go into the theme park.

I went to the lobby for some reason. They had the console standing off to the side and there was a crowd of people checking the game out. I got a quarter from my dad and had a go at it.

I remember I was actually disappointed when my parents finally dragged me away from the machine to go into Six Flags, if you can believe that.

(Many years later, Six Flags became the place where I first got to check out Dragon's Lair, this time at an arcade within the park. There was a guy playing who was quite good, and again I was dragged away to go see the rest of the park.)

Carlos.

Well, that was a pretty obvious one.

Funny looking at the Musings in the side bar and they're just talking about how great Galaga is. I hope that shows up on the list, as I'd like to find out a bit more about one of my favorite games of all time.

Of course I'm sure I could just do my own searching.

Originally posted by DrunkOM@Jan 29 2004, 01:17 AM

Well, that was a pretty obvious one.

Funny looking at the Musings in the side bar and they're just talking about how great Galaga is. I hope that shows up on the list, as I'd like to find out a bit more about one of my favorite games of all time.

Of course I'm sure I could just do my own searching.

I know one game that HAS to be on the list, only I don't know which it is:

It's the game that was the first ever to display the famous phrase: "INSERT COIN TO CONTINUE"

The genius that thought of this phrase, which left me penniless shortly after allowance day every week, deserves special recognition. This phrase had countless kids scrambling to the change machine before the menacing countdown clock expired, hoping against hope that their next quarter would lead to another level, another boss, another chance at victory.

This innovation also led to much more difficult games. I'm sure developers quickly realized that the payoff was huge if the game could accomplish 2 things:

1. Give the player his quarter's worth of enjoyment, but do so as quickly as possible to increase the "churn" on the arcade machines.

2. Appeal to the Ego of the gamer, so he felt compelled to finish what he has started. (even knowing that even more difficult levels awaited should his additional investment yield success)

So with that phrase's invention, the days of standing at a machine for an 30-60 minutes with just one quarter were gone.

Anyone know which game gets credit for becoming the first true "quarter eater"?

Carlos.