LCVG

Trade in criteria: What do you use?

FLYING SE7EN

I'm starting to get a collection of games that I haven't played in a while and I want to thin the herd. The trouble is, I would hate to sell something back and then kick myself for it later.

What criteria do you use when deciding whether or not to trade in a game??

My first inclination is to NOT trade in a Live enabled game because you never know when it could get ressurected. Currently, my copy of GR:IT falls into this catalog. However, I haven't played it in MONTHS so it just sits there taking up space....

Then there is Jedi Academy. I finished the single player game but I have never played it online (I'm not sure who else even has it) and I don't want to play with the unwashed masses. So there it sits just taking up space...

I find it easier to part with offline single player games but I still find myself holding on to titles that I've finished but can't quite bring myself to cut the umbilical. For me, Enter the Matrix, MGS:Substance and Halo are in this category. There they sit taking up space....

So as you can see, I'm dealing with some pretty heavy shit here ;)

What to do, what to do??

Cheers.

J.

If you've finished it, get rid of it, especially if it's a story-driven game. Maybe keep Halo, for the multiplayer. I keep most of the Live games I've bought, though I took back GR:IT since I didn't really like it and RS3 more than covers the squad shooter genre. When you buy a sequel, return the original, even if it's on another system. When I pick up T.H.U.G. for PS2, I'm returning THPS3 on Xbox. Actually, I'm returning 3 anyway, since I have Agressive Inline and how many small-wheeled extreme sports games does one need? I still hoard games, but I've gotten a lot better about admitting to myself that there are some I will never get to. With EB Games' "4 used for 1 new" deal, I'm finding it a lot easier to part with them (though I also just buy $5 games and turn in those).

I usually trade in anything that I've finished and has a somewhat questionable replay value. Like if crimson skies wasn't Live, I would trade it even though I really enjoyed the SP game. With so many new games coming out all the time, I barely have time to get all them in, much less replay old games.

Of the ones you listed, I would keep Halo. For no other reason than when the release of Halo2 is almost here you might be jonsing for a fix or a refresher prior to the Big Day.

I don't think I've ever traded a game in.

Actually, no - I've just remembered that I traded in a review copy of Quake III for the PS2 that a journalist friend gave me, still sealed, because I didn't have a PS2 at the time. Well, that and having both Dreamcast and PC releases, and failing to see the point of owning a third copy...

I just can't be bothered - I never know when I might want to go back to a game (having, for instance, gone through 1080 on the N64 again recently), and the money you get for them is only about the difference in price between buying it in EB and online anyway. Plus, I hate EB (or GAME as they are these days).

Pharmboy;

I'm exactly the same way. Usually, once I buy a game, it stays with me. I tend to only buy games that I suspect I'll enjoy, although a few mediocre titles occassionally slip past my lofty standards. I love the idea of having a vast collection of great games at my disposal for whenever I get a craving for a blast from the past.

whenever I get a craving for a blast from the past.

Well, this is how I am. And I know some people are very progressive gamers (which is great for the rest of us :P), but frankly I like being able to play Star Control II or Eric the Unready whenever the need arises. Heck, I spent November replaying Planescape: Torment and in December I cranked out the first Broken Sword.

But then I am a strange one like that ;).

It also doesn't help that I usually don't have anything anybody would want in trade :P.

I tend to not sell games until I buy a new console. When I got a PS2, I gave my PS1 to a friend of mine and most of the games I knew I wouldn't play. I only kept a few PS1 games for my PS2. Later when I got my GC and I saw my DC library was HUGE I decided to sell off lots of the games I had for it since I knew I wouldn't play those games anymore, but I still kept a few games for my DC(namely Samba de Amigo ;) ).

I agree with just keeping the best games in their genre. I have NFL2k3 for my PS2 and I know I'll never play it again now that I have Madden 2004. Just keep the games that you can see yourself playing. Live ones are always good because you never know when someone you know will get it and want to play you. But, for the most part, if you have overlapping stuff, pick the best of the bunch and get rid of the other stuff.

Once a month I go into Suze Orman mode and just go on a total bloodbath.

Here's my criteria:

If I'll never play the game again, I sell it on eBay. It's taking up space and it's money I can pocket, which I need. The exception to this is a game like Panzer Dragoon Orta or Halo which is just so incredible that I think it's worth keeping as a showpiece.

Out of what's left, if it's a good party game that I think people will want to play, I keep it. If it's a game I absolutely have to defeat (Xenosaga) or I still think there's something worth seeing, I keep it. If neither of these criteria are met and I think I've seen everything in the game that I can get out of it, it's gone.

I don't part with many games.. only a very few have left my "collection" and I still mourn the time I sold off some of my old NES games back in the early 90s just so I could buy some Sega Genesis titles *sigh*. Not that I would ever play Dragon Spirit or Gyromite again...its just the whole principle of the issue. Just recently I found myself with three games that can definitely "go". Bloodrayne on Gamecube (bought it for XBox), Splinter Cell (came free with PoP - already have it) and Grand Theft Auto 3 PS2 version (bought the XBox 2pack). So it was torture trying to go through my collection to find a non-sports title to get rid of (I have a horrid PS2 basketball game that someone gave me years ago, its an eyesore) and finally settled on Fur Fighters: Viggos Revenge. Impulse buy at Target a year or so ago for $6 which I never played (controls were awful).

Anyway I guess my point is - I can't part with anything. Even though I have SSX 3 I might want to play Tricky again someday... and often I hook up old systems and have "blast from the past" marathons...graphics don't bother me so that's not an issue. Well except for the N64. Most of those games look so horrid nowdays...*sigh* 2D holds up much better.