LCVG

Minus 6 degrees sucks, and social anxiety during d

JTello

Weird, I just got this message when I tried to start this thread, " Flood Control is enabled on these boards, please wait 30 seconds to post." What's that about??

Anyway, back on topic (has there ever been a thread started off topic? :lol: ),...

Topic: It's -6 degrees here in Boston today, with wind chills from -27 to -45. F%$#ing cold!!!

Every school in the area is closed so the kids won't turn into Popsicles waiting for the bus.

My 17 minute train ride took an hour and 45 minutes! A number of broken down trains caused us to stopp and go like 30 times,... and the stops were long and cold. At one stop a guy (a seemingly normal looking guy) stepped off the train, took a piss on the platform and got back on. Who does this sort of thing? Freak!

Finally as we got to the stop before my stop I started to smell smoke. It started lightly at first and but it slowly got stronger I began to worry. I decided that if we made it to the next stop I was going to get off the train and walk the 6 blocks to work despite the bitter cold, ugh! As we inched down the track I couldn't remain quite, I and the lady next to me turned to each other and I asked "do you smell smoke," and she replied in a high stained voice "Yeah!!" And just as we had this interaction I turned to see that we were just pulling into the station. Soon as the doors opened I said, "Well, I'm out of here, that smokes got me worried." The reason I chose to say this out loud was because everyone on the train seemed to be locked in one of those uncomfortable social situations, not wanting to be the one to call out their fears, ya know. From what I've read and seen in the news this can be a very bad social problem during emergencies, where people don't want to stand out and stuff like that. Well there were a few people who responded to me and they acknowledged that they were taking me advice and getting off. Good thing too, cause as we exited the tunnel was filling up with smoke. What amazed me though was to see how many people chose to stay on the train! To smell smoke may not be enough for some people to react, but to see a whole lot of smoke should get your ass off a crowded train ya'd think. Don't know if anything happened with the train, but hopefully everyone is safe.

The long walk to work was unbearable. I had to stop in a Burger King to thaw out after just three blocks.

One question keeps coming to mind on days like this. How do Canadians deal with this crap every year?

You'd think the only time it gets cold and snowy in this country is when it happens on the east coast.

You're dead on there. Since all of the national media seems to be located on the East Coast, life stops if something happens there.

We get minus temps for a week and get bumped from the national news because someone finds a cat in a well in Hartford.

:P

Glen

You'd think the only time it gets cold and snowy in this country is when it happens on the east coast.

This thread is turning into a Tupac/Biggie Small rapper territorial rivalry.

I feel your pain Joel. Dunkin Donuts wouldnt even open their drive thru today and I had to go in. I spilled coffe on my pants and it felt good.

Originally posted by WarEagle@Jan 16 2004, 08:43 AM

I think it's suppose to be 56 here in Birmingham today.

Yeah, but on the downside, you're in Alabama. ;)

And Joel, I was looking at your Moblog, but I was distracked by the tummy Moblog to the left,.. Mmmmmm, Chai!

No kidding. She's something else, alright...

It's -6 degrees here in Boston today, with wind chills from -27 to -45. F%$#ing cold!!!
One question keeps coming to mind on days like this. How do Canadians deal with this crap every year?

Dude, it never gets that cold in this part of Canada. You guys are crazy. It's 3.50?C. Yesterday was beautiful, sunny and warm.

Dude, it never gets that cold in this part of Canada.

Aren't you freakin' fortunate then :P.

It was bloody well 37 below with the wind chill today, and I would hasten to point out that that is freakin' Celsius! Gah.

Nothing like walking to the hospital and feeling your breath catch in your throat because it's so cold. Or the cold stinging your eyes and then freezing the freakin' water to your cheek.

Freak freak :P.

Got this from Fark:

Temperature at 1 p.m., Jan. 14

Location Temp. (Fahrenheit)

Gusev crater, Mars 12

Providence, R.I. 9

Scranton Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 8

Hartford, Conn. 7

Buffalo, N.Y. 7

Rochester, N.Y. 3

Ithaca, N.Y. 3

Albany, N.Y. -2

Binghamton, N.Y. -2

Concord, N.H. -3

Syracuse, N.Y. -4

Burlington, Vt. -10

Montpelier, Vt. -12

Caribou, Maine -13

Mount Washington, N.H. -36

Yes, it is colder here than it is on Mars. Gak!