LCVG

Carolina and New England in the Superbowl

Starhawk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to start this thread (silly superstitions ;) ) But since it's here,... Wha-Hooooo!!!! PATRIOTS!!! :Rock:

Love my team!

I know there are a few Philly fans here too (Jay for sure) Sorry guys, I was pulling for Philly, I wanted to see that rematch.

Two very good times but not flashy. I think it will be a yawnfest.

I couldn't disagree more! I gotta imagine as a football fan you've gotta love great D, and there will be two good defenses on the field putting it all on the line. And you've gotta imagine the game will be close, as neither of these teams blows out opponents, and isn't a close nail biter game more exciting than some blow out? Would it be exciting more exciting to see say Payton, Harrison and James running up and down the field blowing out another team? I say no.

I have a question for everyone. I noticed on ESPN this morning that in one of their polls more people were rooting for the Panthers than the Pats. Now I can understand if people like to root for an underdog, but I don't think it's just that. I think people can't stand consistantly good teams. People (not home fans, but rather the rest of the country's fans) by nature turn on teams as the repeat success. I know I have felt this before. I'll root for an underdog, but as that underdog becomes the big boy on the block I tend to sway toward rooting for them getting beat. Again, this doesn't apply to any home team fans,... Like I wouldn't turn on my Pats, and Glen wouldn't turn on Frave and the Pack when they were on top a few years ago. Do you guys feel this tendency is true?

Anyway, I'm ready for the Superbowl, and I'm hoping for another victory parade here in downtown Boston! :green: Although I hope it's warmer this time around,... I think it was 4 degrees during the last parade! Burrr!!

Man, I wouldn't want to be a Philly fan right at this moment...

Yes, it sucks to be a Philly fan. There was a sad statisitc I heard a while back about all Philly teams. Philly has the longest drought of winning a championship of all cities, when you combine all the teams. Now thats sad and frustrating.

Maybe now the front office will realize McNabb needs some talent to throw too, rather than the shit he has had (although Freddie Mitchell is coming around finally). I'm bitter, but at the same time it come as no surprise Philly lost. Philly teams always fail to seal the deal. It can't be done and I see nothing in the future that will change that.

It really fucking sucks. :(

Originally posted by Carlucci+Jan 19 2004, 09:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carlucci @ Jan 19 2004, 09:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Starhawk@Jan 19 2004, 08:39 AM

That's a great avatar, Jay, in a sad kind of way.

I like it.

It's like, how much blacker can it get? And the answer is, None. None more black. [/b]

:lmfao:

As a football fan I'm pretty happy with who is in the game but I would agree I'd rather see a Packer/Patriot rematch.

As far as the Eagles go, Let me celebrate!

Overall I'm expecting a very defensive Super Bowl and a Patriot victory.

I edited the post with regards to the Eagles and I felt that my initial comments are a little out of hand. I would probably get banned if I said what I felt.

Originally posted by exile@Jan 19 2004, 11:10 AM

As a football I'm pretty happy with who is in the game

How do you feel about getting kicked so hard when it is cold outside?

;)

Two very good times but not flashy. I think it will be a yawnfest.

I see what you're saying. You gotta figure it will be a close game, which creates tension and fun. But two strong defenses with average offenses could result in a 3-and-out then punt, 3-and-out then punt, 3-and-out then punt, etc. That is boring. Much more fun to see a really high scoring game that is also a close game.

On the other hand, if there are a ton of turnovers (fumbles, INTs) then that can be really fun as well.

Pats seem to be favored! Here's to goliath.

I see what you're saying. You gotta figure it will be a close game, which creates tension and fun. But two strong defenses with average offenses could result in a 3-and-out then punt, 3-and-out then punt, 3-and-out then punt, etc. That is boring. Much more fun to see a really high scoring game that is also a close game.

I'm not gonna go into a diatribe, let me just say if you can't appreciate a great defensive game as much as a great offensive game then you need to try looking beyond the ball. Most of the excitement of yesterday's Pats victory happened away from the ball. To watch the Pats corners, linebackers and safties manhandle the Colts recievers was Very Entertaining. In fact watching the Panthers do the same thing to Philly was a whole lot of fun too. These two defenses are gonna smash around the offenses in two weeks, just watch. I think the Pats coaching staff will anticipate and game plan for this approach by the Panthers and will figure out a way to somewhat diffuse the Panthers enough to win, but they will still get in some good licks. Maybe I've just been brainwashed by Bill Belichick and his staff that defense can be just as exciting as offense? Or maybe it really can be! :)

By the way, Belicheck is a magnificent coach. I believe the coaching position in football has the biggest affect of the 4 major sports on the performance of the team. This is why the Dolphins wont win squat with Wanndstadt at the helm. The Pats defense is great, it always seems like they have 12 guys on the field. I dont believe the game will even be close. Pats will romp.

watch the Pats corners, linebackers and safties manhandle the Colts recievers was Very Entertaining

To a Patriots fan, sure. :)

Personally I found the previous games to be much more entertaining, watching a top-level quarterback at work, watching gifted receivers run precision routes and get rewarded with perfectly thrown balls...that is beautiful football. Seeing those same receivers get held, tugged, smacked, and leveled yesterday was NOT beautiful football. Look, no one will deny that that Pats win ugly. Now a Patriots fan will focus on the first part of that statement...namely, that the team consistently WINS. And in the end, that's all that counts. But an awful lot of other people will be saddened by the second part of that statement...the games are UGLY. Watching Brady throw three-yard passes over and over again is like watching someone being pecked to death by a duck.

All credit goes to both teams for making it this far. And I do wish fans of both squads best of luck in the Big Game. I just wish for my own sake that the Colts has prevailed because I find their style of football to be much more entertaining than the old Parcells' "smash mouth, three yards in a cloud of dust" style.

In High School it was all about winning. In the NFL, it is all about entertainment. For hometown "fans" it is entertaining to watch "your" team succeed, for others the superbowl commercials are a better bargain. Primarily watching a defensive game is like watching my grandparents have sex with the previously described duck.

This is why the Dolphins wont win squat with Wanndstadt at the helm.

Heh, the Dolphins problems don't lie with Wannstedt. I will say he's not that great of a coach, but they could definitely win with him as head coach if they had quality personnel at the skill positions. Fiedler and Griese are both mediocre quarterbacks at best, and their wide receivers aren't that great. McMichael is the only one worth anything, and he's a tight end.

The defense is getting old and slow, and becoming more overrated as each season goes by without any upgrades. Junior Seau is NOT an upgrade.

Everyone's so quick to blame Wannstedt, when it's the fact that he has no quality personnel on the team to get them anywhere close to the post season.