LCVG

Ideas for Valentines Day

MrMike

Ok, usually I hate this day. Just a hallmark holiday designed to sell things. But this year its gonna be different so I need ideas. But something that isn't crazy and screams "stalker". :)

I'll probably settle on just taking her out for a nice dinner, but I haven't decided yet.

I would cook dinner, but I don't have a kitchen table or anyplace to sit. Sitting on the couch with tv trays is not very romantic :)

I've got a nice 10 hour flight from London to Dallas planned for mine, thanks to BA. Blew our plans completely. Saturday night will be spent jetlagged instead. Got to arrange something for the Thursday or Friday night in London instead.

I would cook dinner, but I don't have a kitchen table or anyplace to sit.

So borrow a table & pair of chairs from a friend if you can & make the effort?

For last year's Valentines proceedings I bought my wife some amethyst earrings she'd been eyeing along with a teddy bear. I hid the bear, which was wearing the earrings, and created a little treasure hunt around the apartment. I leave for work well before she wakes for the day so the first clue was sitting on my pillow. I got a phone call at work from a very excited spouse.

It doesn't sound like you can use the idea directly, but perhaps you could involve some of her friends and adapt it to your needs.

I'll be married 15 years in May. My wife knows my taste and lack thereof. She usually declares, "this is what you got me for Valentine's Day" and shows me her purchase. Works out great for both of us.

Of course, I still buy a card for her.

Here's a tip: Don't spend a lot of time agonizing over the "perfect" card. The Greeting Card industry has highly-skilled professionals, who are trained at expressing your exact sentiment. Just grab the first card that you come across.

Carlos.

Here's a tip: Don't spend a lot of time agonizing over the "perfect" card. The Greeting Card industry has highly-skilled professionals, who are trained at expressing your exact sentiment. Just grab the first card that you come across.

Yeah, thats what I usually do. I gotta get 2 at the same time though. Her birthday is 5 days before valentines day.

Yeah, thats what I usually do. I gotta get 2 at the same time though. Her birthday is 5 days before valentines day.
That's the situation with my wife and myself. Her birthday is the 3rd, Valentine's on the 14th and my birthday on the 20th. We typically skip Valentine's gifts and just go out for dinner.

Ditto to both of you, my GF's b-day is the 6th, talk about milking my brain for good-ideas,... I usually require at least a few months between reasonable gift ideas. Mmmm, this year I'll end up getting her a diamond necklace and,... a,... shoe!

;)

Originally posted by MrMike@Jan 20 2004, 10:44 AM

Shame on some of you.

Uhhh...why? For wanting to make the day special but not knowing exactly what to do?

Nope. Not at all. Trying to make it special is very cool of you. Some women are very hard to shop for. And even so, they are offended by a gift certificate. Other women are very easy to please. And then there are the ones who already have everything they like, and you are ending up getting a duplicate of the latest thing they just bought.

Cal is in both categories. He is easy to shop for, but hard to shop for as when things are released, he is in line with his money in his hand. So unless you beat him to the store, you are SOL on new things. I managed to brow beat his family into giving him gift certificates to Best Buy for Christmas this year, so he was able to pool them all together and get one fairly expensive thing he has wanted.

You could start a tradition with your loved one. There are many companies offering yearly editions of things nowdays. Ummm .... just for example there are the Pocket Dragons sculpted by Real Musgrave that you can see here .

Or there are Flower Fairies here . That some women like.

Cal's 2 sisters collect dolls. One of them loves the china dolls, the other loves Barbie. :roll:

If she likes jewlery, buy her a charm bracelet. Give her one charm when you buy it, and add to it on holidays and her birthday. There is a new charm bracelet they came out with called an Italian Charm bracelet, that does not dangle and get caught on clothes and other things. You can see it here .

I think Saint Valentine was the dude who drove all the kittens out of Ireland or something. :)

My wife and I finally came to an agreement last year that this was a stupid, manufactured holiday and we were going to have no part of it. Besides, we spend enough on each other for birthdays, Christmas, our anniversay, and now mother's and father's day. The last thing our bank account needs is another gift-giving day. Especially on the heels of Christmas and her birthday.

Uh, and in rereading that last post I realize it has nothing to offer as far as the original post goes. Slippery indeed is the slope that leads to thread-crapping...

Sorry about that, Mike. :oops:

As far as gift ideas, how about finding a local spa or salon and buying her either a massage or one of those facial-makeover-type things?

Sorry about that, Mike

Hahaha. Nah, that wasn't a thread crap at all. I view the day as just a hallmark holiday, but I need to do something if I want to stay out of the dog house :)

She's not picky at all and really just wants to spend time together so this year being our first and not being together for a long time I'll just take it easy. I've been known to go overboard for stuff like this and it always ends up biting me in the ass at the end. So I think this year the theme will be "simple".

Since I know for a fact my gf will never, EVER read this post - This year, I'm getting her 2 dozen roses, and a Vermont Teddy Bear.

I got her a VT Bear for our very first Valentine's Day, and this will be our 4th one together. I was going to go the jewelry route, which I still might do, but I prefer going shopping WITH her for jewelry, as I suck at picking shiny things out.

Well last year for valentine's day my gf was flying out on business early the next morning so I got a room at a hotel near the airport and filled the room with candles and rose petals, the look on her face was priceless and let me say that she was almost late for her flight :green:

This year is a different story, different woman so I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I always manage to find something nice.

I was thinking of picking up some scooby doo valentines from the grocery store. those are always fun.

My girlfriend and I had never had a partner on valentine's day before we met each other and as such are especially jaded towards this holiday. We also both worked in restaurants that made it even worse as everyone else's happy couple dom was shoved in our faces.

So now we just do something kinda silly (scooby doo for example) but at the same time showing that we didnt' forget. Really that's all it should be about, I think by the fact you're making this post shows that you're willing to put in enough effort and no matter what you do you'll be fine.

now if you were making this post just to steal someone else's brilliant idea...get in line.

Those dragons and flower fairies have me giggling like crazy over here.

Originally posted by SeriousCrayon@Jan 21 2004, 09:12 PM

Well last year for valentine's day my gf was flying out on business early the next morning so I got a room at a hotel near the airport and filled the room with candles and rose petals.

for anyone interested in doing the rose petal thing you can actually just call a flower shop in the morning and tell them you want them to hold onto the rose petals and then go pick them up after work.

I wish I had known that when I did the rose petal on bed thing, I ended up buying a dozen roses and just getting the petals from them, having the petals from a whole days worth of roses would have been great.

oh and also red rose petals stain light coloured sheets, keep that in mind too.

I always liked Valentine's day. I'm allergic to most flowers so I go for the balloons. Anything cute and pretty, or Hello Kitty. :D

My boyfriend has really come through on a few Valentines Days but usually he just lets me pick out something. Last year we went and saw Daredevil and he bought me a balloon. It was pretty cool and I was really ill so it worked out.

When I lived in LA, there was a local Italian place (named after the town's High School mascot heh) that would sell heart shaped pizzas. V-Day consisted of eating pizza and watching some cheesy romantic movie that usually sucks.

You might want to go for something simple like staying in for dinner and renting a good movie - maybe romantic in tone, maybe not. I also highly recommend any heart shaped jewerly, especially lockets. There is just something special about a heart shaped locket. :)

If you go for balloons/flowers, for the Love of all things sacred, go by the flower shop/party store/grocery store of your choice and order the stuff a day or two early. By the time work is out, everything is gone (heck by 9am in the morning everything is gone) except for a few wilted plants.

I stopped the whole roses thing with my wife since she finds it somewhat cliched. I give her roses on occasion but just out of the blue. Works better that way since it really doesn't mark a day of notoriety but just says "You know, I was just thinking about you".

Gift wise my my wife is so very easy to please. The way into her heart spells "Victoria Secrets" or something that sparkles and I'll be paying for for at least 3 years. :green: . Of course in the end the Victoria Secrets works out for me too ;) .

Of course in the end the Victoria Secrets works out for me too

Really? Any pics of you wearing your wife's VS wardrobe? :D

My wife will be in Puerto Rico for the 2nd straight Valentine's Day. Last year her mom had back surgery. This year, it's her knee. I'm starting to think her mom's making this stuff up. Or, maybe it isn't her mom. :(

I'll be getting her a Vermont Teddy Bear and a handbag from Coach.