LCVG

USB Flash Drives

Camp

Just curious to hear experiences with the various keychain-sized USB flash drives out there. I expect they all perform the same but living with the various designs and brands may be different. For example, a friend has one of the Lexar models and complains that the cap will never stay on. He's had to resort to keeping it in his briefcase to avoid loosing the cap (which means he commonly forgets to bring the flash drive with him).

Which do you use...which do you recommend?

I just got a 128mb Dell flash drive (made by Lexar). It is 2 7/8" long and 1/2" thick. The cap stays very secure - I would have no problem attaching it to a bag or keyring. Works just like it should...

I have a 128 mb Lexar. I just keep it on my keychain. I lost the cap almost immediately, but I haven't found that to be much of an issue. The thing ahs taken a good amount of abuse and keeps working. My only real gripe is that it can be finicky about being attached to unpowered hubs (such as my MS keyboard), but I've never had a problem running it through a front usb panel on a tower or a powered hub. I really like mine, find it useful to be able to carry around alot of the smaller utilities and it's much more convenient for me to transfer documents on this than on floppies or even rewrite cd's. I can't remember how much I paid for mine but i think Tigerdirect was selling it for about 40 or so last time I checked. I know they make a USB2.0 version as well which isn't much more now. If I were going to be using it alot or with large files, I'd definately want 2.0 for the speed boost.

In a rush my Boss went out and picked up a San Disk 128mb from BB. Well it worked well for a week,.. aside from showing ghost images of files that had been deleted. Of course that didn't last long, it has now ceased working and I have no idea why. The only thing I can imaginge is that maybe someone pulled the drive out without first stopping it? Of course thier website and tech support is a joke at best. Oh, did I mention I think San Disk sucks anyway, this only solidified my stance.