LCVG

EA to Publish Burnout 3

Buck

It appears that EA will be publishing the third installment of Criterion's Burnout instead of Acclaim.

Burnout 2 supported scoreboards on Xbox Live, but with EA taking over publishing one has to wonder what the chances are of Burnout 3 supporting online play for the Xbox? Of course if online play is what you want, the PS2 is sure to have it.

On the plus side Burnout 3 will launch on all 3 platforms simultaneously unlike the first and second ones.

EA to publish Burnout 3

Hell, EA already has the most popular titles. If Microsoft isn't falling down for Madden, I doubt Burnout will put them on the mat. EA does a good job with the Need for Speed series and I think they'll do fine by Burnout, too. I race NFS:U online and don't find it onerous. If this is the leverage that forces Microsoft into giving EA what it wants to add Live functionality to its games, isn't that a good thing? Do you really care which billion-dollar company has to write off the cost?

• 3 weeks later...
I have no idea why you continue to get your hopes up Chris.

Neither do I Romier, neither do I. The worst part is, I have a damned PS2, and it's online no less!

It's the principle though! I loved Burnout 2 on the Xbox. My friends and I played it for hours. Noone I know plays games online on the PS2. Well, maybe Cal, but he's like never on now anyways. ;)

If I see any interest on here about playing Burnout 3 online I'll consider buying the PS2 version. If it gets good enough reviews, and I think my friends and I will play it like we played 2, I'll buy the Xbox version.

I can't even boycott EA by not buying it, 'cause I loved 2 that damn much.

Noone I know plays games online on the PS2

I'll play ;) . I've simply not been interested in much online for the PS2 for awhile however with Champions of Norrath coming (and more titles like this) I would definitely like to give the network adapter a work out. As always my main issue is schedule but this wednesday Im going to play Champions till I drop. :D

• 3 weeks later...
it's not so much about getting a burnout chain of 50 round the track, it's about taking down everybody else in the race - it's much more of a personal race.

[cue intimidating voice-over]

Burnout 3: This Time it's Personal

[/cue]

Seriously, it sounds pretty good. Especially that they are developing the Xbox and PS2 versions independetly...