LCVG

Universal Monster DVD News

Guest Bryan

Originally posted by adamsappel@Jan 20 2004, 12:30 PM

I've read that the Spanish Dracula is even superior to the Legosi version. They used the same sets and shot it on different schedules.

I've heard the same, Allen. I have the original Universal disc, but I have only watched the American version. I do remember from the documentary that the American crew would come in during the day and shoot their version, while the Spanish crew would use the same sets at night.

I highly recommend viewings of the Spanish Dracula for those who have the original Universal disc, but have yet to view anything but the English language version. I, as many do, find it to be superior in a number of areas. In all fairness, both versions tend to do certain things somewhat better than the other, or perhaps different is the more appropriate term. Well worth watching.

This set looks good. Most of the extras from the original releases seem to be on there too. Have a look:

Dracula: The Legacy Collection includes Dracula (1931), Dracula (Original Spanish Version), Dracula's Daughter, Son of Dracula and House of Dracula with the following bonus features:

"The Road to Dracula" original documentary

Feature film commentary from film historian David J.Skal

Brilliant new score by famed composer Philip Glass, performed by the Kronos Quartet and more

Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection includes Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein with the following bonus features:

An original documentary on the making of the Frankenstein films

Additional commentary from film historian Rudy Behlmer

"The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster" an original documentary by David J.Skal and more

The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection includes The Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and She-Wolf of London with the following bonus features:

"The Wolf Man" making of documentary

Feature film commentary from film historian Tom Weaver and more

I think all three releases (each 2 disc sets) have promotional fluff for that horrible looking Van Helsing movie which these discs have been forged to coincide with as well. The release date for the three individual releases and the gift set is the 24th of April by the way.

As someone who owns the original Monsters set (though not the double features), the Gift set of Dracula, Wolf Man and Frankenstein + the busts appeals, but I think only if they films have gone through a significant remastering and the discs themselves do not suffer from poor compression and mastering.

Universal are not my favourite studio for handling DVDs, and they have shown little care for their classic catalogue titles in terms of keeping them in good shape (the original monsters releases were not all that great, the 1932 Scarface isn?t very pretty, plus some questionable Hitchcock titles along with Death Takes a Holiday on disc 2 of their Meet Joe Black Ultimate Edition.... they tend to cheap out when it comes to this sort of thing, unlike Warner).

Daniel

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Originally posted by Bryan@Oct 25 2004, 08:40 AM

I have finally completed my collection of classic Universal horror!

Well, they've released the classic monster icons but I could still go for some of the odd, non-series horror movies that Universal controls. Stuff like The Black Cat or Phantom of the Opera (at least I think those are Universal titles). The sets they've released so far, however, are a great deal and I'm glad I've got them all :)