LCVG

Unreal II: The Awakening

Bruce B

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's anything like the PC version (and it appears that it is), don't waste your time...

I may be in a minority, but I thought it was mind-numbingly dull.

Edit: That'll teach me to read a little more closely. I see this includes the Multiplayer element. That might be fun, anyhow. The single-player still sucked. :)

I do enjoy some basic Unreal deathmatch & CTF every now and then.

I didn't get a chance to read the article, but if they're including XMP in the Unreal II release for Xbox, it's MUCH more than "basic Unreal deathmatch".

XMP is like Tribes 1/2, with vehicles, bases, capture points, classes, etc. It's extrmely cool on the PC. It was a free add-on that Legend released before they got shut down.

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Jan 20 2004, 12:47 PM

I do enjoy some basic Unreal deathmatch & CTF every now and then.

I didn't get a chance to read the article, but if they're including XMP in the Unreal II release for Xbox, it's MUCH more than "basic Unreal deathmatch".

XMP is like Tribes 1/2, with vehicles, bases, capture points, classes, etc. It's extrmely cool on the PC. It was a free add-on that Legend released before they got shut down.

Ahhh... I didn't read the article either :)

Ok, just glanced at it. Yeah, they put XMP in there (and that's it apparently - no "basic deathmatch, etc) Still, based on your description (and just that they finally got the vehicles in there :D) sounds like I'll definitely have to give it a spin.

Originally posted by gigapower@Jan 20 2004, 03:37 PM

Aren't all Unreal games like this?

True, but at least the first Unreal came with multiplayer out of the box. The second one didn't even have that going for it...

Originally posted by Whooter+Jan 20 2004, 03:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Whooter @ Jan 20 2004, 03:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gigapower@Jan 20 2004, 03:37 PM

Aren't all Unreal games like this?

True, but at least the first Unreal came with multiplayer out of the box. The second one didn't even have that going for it... [/b]

I enjoyed the first, though I admit I did have more fun in the long run with the multiplayer (which continued with UT & UC).

Originally posted by adamsappel@Jan 20 2004, 06:05 PM

Does this spark any interest in playing Unreal Championship? This is one of those games I picked up on the cheap and never played.

I still have 2 copies of it and would like to get some games together with you guys. Let me know if you guys plan anything :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have it on the PC, but the single player, though it looks good, is nothing special.

XMP on the other hand is extremely excellent, and if it translates well to the Xbox and Xbox Live, then I'm ALL over this game. The teamplay & vehicle aspects of XMP are great, so I'm considering getting this sometime this week.

I'm still on the fence with this one. I have had UC for the Xbox for some time now and have recently gotten in to the habit of getting online with it again. All of the mindless fragging with multiple 12 year olds has, for some reason, sparked my interenst in the multiplayer aspects of Unreal 2.

If enough people here get it than I suspect I will end up with it as well.

Originally posted by gigapower@Feb 9 2004, 12:17 AM

Now, if it ran on the DOOM 3 engine, Kelley might actually try it too

Hell if it ran on any id engine I'd try it. The Unreal engine is such a horrible piece of software to work with on both ends of it.

Some pretty strong statements there, but in this forum we ask that such statements be backed up with facts. So, please, tell us why the Unreal engine is a horrible piece of software.

Before you answer let me remind you that Splinter Cell uses the Unreal engine. Remember those pretty lights ;)

Dont forget Rainbow Six 3 uses the Unreal engine as well. I believe Deus Ex 2 and the upcoming Thief 3 use it as well. Tons of games (great games at that) use the Unreal engine come to think of it. It creates better outdoor environments than any ID engine has to date. Better lighting system. Better use of textures. I could go on and on. It just seems to be a bit more flexable. I'm sure the Doom 3 engine will amaze us all but until it comes out the Unreal engine is king if you ask me. Calling the Unreal engine "a horrible piece of software" is like saying Halo was a terrible game. Interested to hear WHY you dont like it.