LCVG

How possessive are you about your games?

The Daisy

Ok,

So I invited my parents over to my house the other day to watch the Packers/Eagles game and they decided to invite over my nephew and niece without so much as asking if my wife or I would mind.

Well, my nephew got a Gamecube for Xmas and just started drooling after looking through the games that I have for the system. Because I have an issue with telling kids "no" at this point, I think it's because I don't have any yet, I let him borrow a few games.

Mentally, I started adding up the cost of replacing those games... knowing that they never would come back in the condition that I let him borrow them in.

So, as they were leaving, I told him to take good care of them. He said, "Oh, we have a scratch remover if anything happens." So, I came right back with, "Hey... why don't you make sure that you don't scratch them?"

I know it's mean of me to think that way... but I really try to take care of my things, and I know that he doesn't.

How do you feel about letting kids borrow your games?

Glen

I bought my nephews and niece a Cube last year and the first thing I taught them was how to take care of the games (as well as the console). They're ages 6,5 and 3. At this point they have around 20 games and not one is damaged or scratched. Granted, kids will be kids, but the fact they take care of them is very impressive to me.

From time to time I watch them at my house when my sister has something to do and I have no problems with leaving them downstairs with my games and DVD's. I've told them that if they can convince me that they'll take care of things, I'll be more than happy to buy them the 2 consoles they don't have. So, that may be there motivation :D

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Jan 20 2004, 05:45 PM

I HATE lending people games. Even my friends. I've seen how they treat their own stuff, so I don't even want to imagine how they'd treat other peoples things.

Same here, except it's not just for games -- I try not to lend anyone anything, if I can help it.

That's always a tough call. I've loaned DVDs to my brother (15) and sister (20) and when I'm over at my parents' I find the disks lying around loose, often on top of their cases. I just consider a "borrow" to be a gift. Even the DVD player they use is a loaner from me. But I don't offer anymore. You might let your nephew know that this is a trial run. If there's a scratch on a disk, no more borrowing.

I hate letting people borrow my discs. Fortunately my friends know that. They treat my discs like I'm gonna commit violent murder if they come back scratched :) They still don't come back looking as perfect as they did though :(

I just don't understand what people do with 'em. I mean, I'm almost scared to rent DVDs that aren't brand new releases. Positively scary, what happens to those poor discs...

I keep my discs in immaculate condition and I expect anyone who borrows them to, also.

Bingo. That's me too.

I treat anything I've been loaned like it's, well, something belonging to somebody else and I expect similar treatment for my things. However, knowing that this is not likely to happen I try not to loan things out. It doesn't hurt that I'm the only person I know with a Cube ;).

Glen,

No offense to your family, but when someone retorts "Oh, we have a scratch remover if anything happens" when you ask them to take care of your game, it doesn't bode well for his parenting nor the possibility of it being returned in immaculate condition. How old is this kid? I was raised to be considerate to grownups and do what they say (especially if they're a relative), but that is just me.

Saying no to kids is so much easier than friends. They expect you to be a jerk because you're a grownup. I just use it to my advantage.

I rarely lend out dvds (never lend out oop dvds) or games. In college I would lend out cds and they would come back with fingerprints, microscatches and then finally my best of P-Funk got returned with a gouge (which ended my days as a library). Nobody messes with my Dawgs!

It's now on a person by person basis. This is mostly based on if they are a close enough friend/considerate human if they scratch a disk they would replace it or get it professionally resurfaced it before returning it (thats what I would do).

On a tangent: has anyone ever had one of those "scratch removers" that can take out things that cleaning it with a polypropylene cloth can't. Most micro-scratches never seem to cause errors in my machines. I can't imagine those "scratch removers" ever removing a gouge. Sorry for the thread-jacking.

Michael

I'm not a big fan of loaning DVDs to people either. There's a few people that I'm ok with, because I've never had any problem with the DVD's they've borrowed. Usually if someone asks to borrow something I'll tell them "I haven't seen that in a while, next time you're over we can watch it..." or something to that extent.

I work in a video store and it's astounding just how poorly people treat DVD's. All they have to do is take the disc out of their case, and into the DVD player, then vice-versa. Difficult? I don't think so. But we get a lot of discs with deep deep scratches, some look like they've been carved into. How? Are the discs left on the floor for 2 days? Used as sandpaper? I don't get it.

It all depends on the situation. If I know the person that I'm giving this game is a avid gamer I would not be too worried as most of us keep are collection spotless. Like my friend wanted Disgaea, and since I knew I wasn't going to play it, I let him borrow it. Sure enough the game came back in the same condition I gave it to him, and I know he played it more than 50 hours at least. But I have this other friend who doesn't own any systems yet is just barely too young to get a job, so since he knows how big of a collection I have he'll ask me to borrow either a PS2/Xbox. I knew he was putting scratches/getting smoke particles on the games/system and leaving them out, but for some dumb reason I still lended the stuff out until my xbox wouldn't read anymore discs. I'm never lending another console out again, and will only give games out one at a time.

Just wanted to add that typical scratch removers (AFAIK) do indeed get mildly to moderately scratched discs working again, but they ruin the read surface cosmetically. I've had some olds discs "repaired" by a scratch remover and the result is pretty ghastly. They do the trick, though.

Originally posted by weremichael@Jan 20 2004, 07:35 PM

On a tangent: has anyone ever had one of those "scratch removers" that can take out things that cleaning it with a polypropylene cloth can't. Most micro-scratches never seem to cause errors in my machines. I can't imagine those "scratch removers" ever removing a gouge.

I have a Disk Doctor. The motorized version is the only way to go. It works well on most scratches. I found someone's lost CD collection once and resurfaced their disks before I returned it. They were pretty unplayable beforehand. It won't work for a major gouge or if the label side is scratched.

Like my siblings do, I think people just take them out and put them on top of the nearest flat surface, even if the case is open and right beside the player. Even my wife does this.

Originally posted by weremichael@Jan 20 2004, 09:30 PM

Thanks Adam and Sam for the info, now lets get back to bashing the idiots who play floor hockey with cds, dvds and most ghastly video games.

Michael

Not to mention those who mistake optical media for coasters.

I'm very selective in who I borrow anything to, I've got to really trust you just for me to give you that first trial run. That being said I swap games with 2 different people in 2 different states whom I've never met in person, I know their addresses and I have talked to them via Live though. I suppose it may have been a risk in the begining but I felt I knew them both quite well and it has worked out great so far, it's odd though that the only 2 people whom I trust with my games are ones I never actually met, makes me wonder about my choice in friends.

Like my siblings do, I think people just take them out and put them on top of the nearest flat surface, even if the case is open and right beside the player. Even my wife does this.

Ya know, I do this with many of my own discs quite often and they're still in perfect to near perfect condition. They mostly just get a bit dusty.

I'm not nearly as picky or careful as most of you are, but the condition that some people's discs get into just boggles my mind. I have no idea how they'd get that bad.

It's funny that this topic came up, because I found myself in a similar situation this weekend. I was over at a friend's house, and I brought over a couple game I want to show. Those games were Viewtiful Joe and (time for yet another shameless plug) METAL ARMS: GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM. Before I left, this friend of mine asked if he could borrow Viewtiful Joe in exchange for one of his games. I must admit that I hesitated at first, though it was not because I didn't trust him to take care of my game. Looking at his DVD collection, and his games, it's obvious that he takes care of them as well as I do my own. I just didn't like the idea of being separated from my beloved Viewtiful Joe for any period of time.

Alas, I did let him borrow the game, because I knew that I could trust him with it. Also, he offered a game that I really wanted to try out: Soulcaliber II for the Xbox, which I am liking quite a lot.

So, yes, when it comes down to it, I am as anal retentive as anyone about lending my stuff out to people. I must be fortunate though because I trust pretty much all of my friends with my media. They how I am, and for the most part, do a good job of taking care of my shit.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this matter.

My nephew is 12 and I'm going to be asking for the games back this week. Funny how when you let someone borrow a game, you seem to want it back right away. I feel like Bilbo when he meets Frodo again after leaving the Shire... Must have my precious back....

Glen

I like lending out my stuff. I look at it as one of the reasons I have collections of DVD's and games. Right now I have about 12 DVD's lent out and two games. I think it's a lot of fun being able to share something I really enjoy with my friends and family. If I find people aren't taking care of them (which has happened rarely) then I just don't lend to them again.

Only people i will ever let touch my dvd's/games are my brother and parents. Other then that only other people like myself on this forum. Otherwise they do not ever leave my sight as ive had some horror stories before. Even though my collection looks like it. I aint blockbuster, hollywood or Netflix video let them buy there own :-)

capt

If someone asks me to borrow a game out of my collection (of about 150 "current gen") or DVDs (approaching 500) I say: "there's a Blockbuster down the street, have fun." Sorry, but I have spent WAY too much money on my hobbies and am not about to let one of my precious discs get screwed up in any way form or fashion. Even my best friend I won't loan things out to. I "loaned" her my DDR: Konamix but it was pretty much a gift since I never asked for it back, and don't anticipate seeing it or playing it anytime in the immediate future.

As for letting kids borrow my discs.... hmm if I won't let an adult do you think a snot nosed brat is getting his paws on my games? My little cousin used to be dropped off at my parents house constantly when I was younger to visit his "grandma" who lived with us and if I was at work or away he got full run of my games and systems. Sonic Adventure is ruined to the point where the Dreamcast won't read it - deep scratches, and many other games for the DC are in similiar shape. My Saturn ones got locked away after I found out about his unauthorized use. This pretty much ruined me on loaning things forever.

Although there is one guy at work that's a Nintendofreak and is very anal about his games, worse than me actually. He won't loan anything out DVD or game-wise so we don't even exchange. He doesn't trust me because I'm not *quite* as fanatical as he is. And I can't even imagine that... but its true.

Those of us with low paying jobs that sacrifice for our entertainment media seem to be a bit more rabid about it I think.