LCVG

Is the Communicator a necessity for Xbox Live?

weremichael

I just moved to a town (Tucson) where I can have broadband (cable from Cox). I have the free 2 month trial from PGR2 and am ready to bite the bullet. Is the headset a neccesity? I know it would make it more interactive for all games and a requirement for Rainbow Six; but all in all, do you guys use it all the time? Would you be less likely to play with someone if they didn't have the headset? Will I be a XBOX Live pariah? Will you refuse to play with me (well other than to pass me easily or to killed me even easier)?

Lost in a world of silence,

Michael

Pretty much everyone i play with(everyone on LCVG) uses it and its a lot more fun with it, then without. Just ask Sam P. he didnt have it at first so we bugged him and he bought one right away :-) Also if your gonna play team games which is pretty much all of them it helps to be able to coordinate with your people via voice

capt

While I certainly wouldn't refuse to play with you, I prefer to play with people using headsets.

I remember playing Top Spin doubles one night and hating the games we played when the other party didn't use one. I expect to get whipped in any game of Top Spin, but I also expect to enjoy myself shooting the shit with my opponent.

The social aspect of Xbox Live is what gets me coming back and headsets are critical to that experience.

I don't notice it so much in a team game like RS3, but in a one-on-one game like Top Spin or ESPN Football or even Tetris (which can have 4 players), it's weird not to have someone to talk with. There are some games you can listen through your tv, so you're not missing everything. But when someone inevitably mocks you for something, it's nice to be able to respond in kind.

Alright, it seems that before I cash in on that 2 months free, I should go ahead and buy a year subscription to get the headset. Thanks guys for the details on gameplay. I didn't realize I would be hearing voices through my speakers as well as through the headset. Glad to know you wouldn't boycott me Robot Monkey.

Michael

Originally posted by weremichael@Jan 20 2004, 10:29 PM

Alright, it seems that before I cash in on that 2 months free, I should go ahead and buy a year subscription to get the headset ... Glad to know you wouldn't boycott me Robot Monkey.

No, no boycotts! ;)

But you might want to pick up the kit, and use the two months before plugging in the year-long subscription code. Unless that's what you were already planning. Then you have a good plan.

-j