LCVG

Online Play In ESPN Major League Baseball

foogledricks

As I recall, online play was sorely missed in what is considered by many to be the best baseball series available. So, who has bought the game before, and will be buying it again, simply because it is online?

I didn't buy a sports game this year because I didn't feel I had time with all the great games coming out. I most certainly will buy NFL 2K5. Maybe WSB 2K5 is the sports changeup I've been looking for? Haven't bought a baseball game since Baseball Stars 2.

Just like CvsSNK 2 even slight lag can ruin games and decide outcomes, so hopefully Sega is doing some rigorous testing. Last year's game was one of the best baseball games ever released. But I'm not completely sold. I've seen Sega take a stellar game(NHL2K3) and turn it into a door stopper(ESPN Hockey). Hell even ESPN NBA removed the zoom and offensive plays. But the WSB team(I think Blue Shift) is one of VC's stronger divisions. Now if they just leave WSB and add these features, I'd been in heaven:

- Add more oomph to the play-by-play.

- Improve the auto-replay's, allow replay saves

- Throw out all batting animations, last year's were beyond nauseating.

- This is one of the major gameplay issues I had with last year's game. If they copy High Heat and put in individual pitch sliders the gameplay will be much improved. Last year a lot of the pitches were retardedly bad in behavior.

- Add more pitches

- Change basestealing interface.

- More sliders, like a foul-ball slider

- Improve crowd reactions

Not much to improve, but with some of the fall's releases I have lost a lot of faith in Sega Sports.

I am not much of sports fan, so it is all about basic fun to me. I love NFL 2K3. Baseball games have scared me off for a while, because since I really don't like baseball, the more realistic a baseball game gets, the more it sucks :) Seriously though, I could see online baseball being absolutely awesome. Especially for the fantasy baseball freaks - they'd be in heaven. No XSN-like features this year for the Xbox version of this game. That is too bad.

The last World Series baseball was incredible with its only downfall being the lack of going live. I tried the demo of last years Microsofts Inside Pitch 2003, the only live enabled baseball game for the xbox, which was pathetic.

I will buy this years ESPN baseball the first day its out which I believe will be sometime in March.

I have played World Series Baseball since I got my Genesis. It gets better every year, and I have high hopes for the online component this season. I'll be next day delivery-ing it to my doorstep. Ships 3/23 for $39.99 at EB currently.

I am interested to see what MS does with the High Heat franchise. Would be nice if they just added online to the already stellar game.

I bought WSBB and although it was a great game, I quickly tired of playing against computer A.I. If there is no league support for an online baseball game this year I would consider it unacceptable at this point. It wouldn't have to be stats intensive, although that would be a big plus, but it would need basic stats and league management for me to purchase a baseball game this year. At this point I don't see a baseball game purchase it my future. (Sorry Bruce, you won't be able to kick my ass in two sports anytime soon!)

Crippler,

Regarding ESPN Hockey...

Have you tried Flying Finn's roster editor? It automatically edits the goalies in the game to perform more like their real life counterparts. That along with the combinations of the right sliders makes ESPN Hockey far superior to last years effort. It really sucks that you have to tweak so much to get the game right, but once you do, it is an amazing hockey experience. By far the best hockey game I have ever played!

Have you tried Flying Finn's roster editor? It automatically edits the goalies in the game to perform more like their real life counterparts. That along with the combinations of the right sliders makes ESPN Hockey far superior to last years effort. It really sucks that you have to tweak so much to get the game right, but once you do, it is an amazing hockey experience. By far the best hockey game I have ever played!

ESPN is so incredibly buggy. The injury bug alone completely destroys the game, unless you enjoy playing exhibition games. Im still pissed that I bought that game.

As for basball titles, its looking like a pretty good year. EA's game is looking pretty good, which is pretty shocking considering their past baseball efforts.

Originally posted by Brandon_S@Jan 21 2004, 01:48 PM

Crippler,

Regarding ESPN Hockey...

I already traded the game a good while ago, as for me personally the ratio of things taken out/not fixed greatly outweighed things added.

• 4 weeks later...
So it looks like everyone is leaning toward the Sega release this year for baseball?

Played the demo from this months OXM and it doesnt seem much different from last year which is fine by me because it was a great game and with online capability it really kicks it up a notch. The demo did have a scrolling banner in the corner saying that this is how the game looked in October 03' so maybe they have tweaked it a bit.

After the ESPN hockey debacle Im pretty gunshy about putting my money down on any game that has ESPN on the cover. That game was such a waste of money, heck I got 4 times the playing time out of Faceoff 97 than I got our of ESPN hockey and Faceoff was really really bad.