LCVG

Nintendo announces new portable

danger9777

Excerpt from the article:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 20, 2004--An unprecedented approach to video game play -- holding two separate game screens in the palm of your hand -- hits the scene later this year when Nintendo introduces a new portable game system, code-named Nintendo DS.

From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen.

Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this could be pretty neat!

Although I have to wonder how "innovative" it really is. After all, games have always had different, simultaneous perspectives on screen. I.e., a racing game where there is a real-time map. Do we really need two screens? The classic solution has always been to partition the screen into different parts, like with the map.

Sounds like they're trying to solve a problem that didn't exist.

But then again, I could imagine some neat things could be done with it...

Gamespots take:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/m...ws_6086761.html

ign:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/473/473998p1.html

I don't really know what to think until I see what the system will look like and what it can do. There might be some interesting things possible, but I'm seriously wondering about Nintendo's strategy of possibly introducing competition to their own Gameboy.

I hope this isn't VirtualBoy 2.

Hmmmm.. to be honest this smacks of desperation to me and the need to put anything out against the PSP. They obviously aren't taking the PSP on in terms of power.. This is hardly innovative either what with the GC and GB connectivity offering something similar and i remember dual screen handhelds way back in the 80s!!

While the two screen thing sounds kind of cool unless it can approach the graphical power of the PSP it'll just be a novelty like the Virtual Boy. -and being powered by an Arm 7 and an Arm 9 means it will not be anywhere near the power of the PSP.

Just as bad it's a 3rd platform for Nintendo to support. They can't get enough quality titles on the Gamecube much less support yet another platform. I would have thought they learned this lesson by watching Sega in the 1990s.

this smacks of desperation to me

To me, this is far from true.

They're just trying to innovate more and make a more interesting device. Don't forget, Iwata said that he only expected 10% of people to think that this would be a device worth having (I'm paraphrasing there).

This device isn't meant to compete with the PSP, and they've said that many times.

They obviously aren't taking the PSP on in terms of power

Up to 1 GB in memory and the device isn't powerful?

Let's see it before we bash the system.

Glen

But whats the point of releasing something that they only say will appeal to 10% of people.. surely Nintendo are in business to make a profit. With a lot of support pulled from the Gamecube and the PSP aimed at taking at least some of the Gameboy market what good will yet another format do?

Taken from spong.com:

"Perhaps one senior development source summed up the DS situation perfectly. ?If Nintendo had released a portable GameCube, it would have rejuvenated GameCube development in the wider context. This way, the firm is a generation behind Sony, and is split across supporting three separate platforms, and will incur the R&D costs of developing an entirely new machine. It seems like a mistake.?

paul,

If 10% of all people thinks a product is interesting, that is still a pretty darn big market for a 3rd device.

This way, the firm is a generation behind Sony

I just don't get this. They're releasing another completely different device that is different than either of the other two products that they have right now, or anyone else has... and they're a generation behind?

I think it's safe to assume that you're in the 90% bracket that Iwata was talking about. To me, it's an interesting sounding device.

I was sitting in a meeting today and thinking of the possibilities of this, and think it could be pretty interesting. Think of games like Metal Gear or Splinter Cell where you could set up a little spy camera to watch a certain corridor so you would know if someone was trying to sneak up on you.

Sports games could be rather interesting if they were to get the First Person sports stuff from Sega to work, you could have the play you called on one screen, so you could see the routes your players were going to run or show audible routes as you're making the changes.

I think this could be pretty interesting if it's got the software to back it. We'll have to see.

Glen

This device isn't meant to compete with the PSP, and they've said that many times.

Just like sony is saying the PSP isn't meant to compete with the GBA. I don't buy either statement at all. The public will see them as competitors. Its just CYA statements in case one fails miserably. Then they can go back and say, well we weren't really competing so it wasn't technically a failure.

I'll hold judgement for this new nintendo thing until we get more info (just like the sony thing).

Last I heard, it was being priced somewhere between $200-$300. The games are supposedly priced at $40. Thats just way to high if you ask me.

I don't see much point in giving advanced 3d graphics to a small portable device. I mean, why have these state of the art graphics on a small screen where you probably won't notice it all that much? Nevertheless, price I think will be a key issue if Sony wants to break into the portable market. Any more than $200 and I can't see the PSP having very much appeal to the masses.

Originally posted by danger9777@Jan 21 2004, 01:40 PM

Last I heard, it was being priced somewhere between $200-$300. The games are supposedly priced at $40. Thats just way to high if you ask me.

I don't see much point in giving advanced 3d graphics to a small portable device. I mean, why have these state of the art graphics on a small screen where you probably won't notice it all that much? Nevertheless, price I think will be a key issue if Sony wants to break into the portable market. Any more than $200 and I can't see the PSP having very much appeal to the masses.

But it will say both Sony and PlayStation on it......that alone will cause it to sell out the first Xmas easily.

The spy camera thing is the best use so far I've heard for this thing.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this, nor do I think it's smart to have a third software line-up. I love my N-consoles, but let's face it, they have been as bad as anybody at times when it comes to supporting their smaller consoles. How many releases did the VirtuaBoy get again?

I don't think it's a desperate move, just an illogical one. I'm still not sold on the PSP at all until I see more solid anything on its design and specs. I'll remain unsold on this new Nintendo gambit until the exact same time. They better have some damn creative ideas though.