LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
General Zot

How do you divide your game time?

I was reminiscing just recently about a lot of my old PC favorites and came to realize I almost never play PC anymore. I won't get too far into why (suffice to say with kids games must be quick and generally hassle free), but was wondering if you all noticed similar patterns? I used to divide it about so (circa 199x):

* 80% PC games

* 20% Console (N64 probably)

* 0% handheld

These days I'm guessing:

* 10% PC

* 70% Xbox

* 15% PS2

* 5% GBA

How would your percentages break down for all your gaming? Interested to see the amount of time in general folks spend on what consoles/systems.

Good topic; after thinking about this for a while I'm actually surprised myself at how my gaming breaks down:

GBA: 60%

Xbox: 30%

PC: 10%

That's probably because I'm busy working through both Golden Sun 2 and Tactics Ogre (thanks to blackcalx) on the GBA at the moment. Once those games are beaten (and until Shawn sells me Fire Emblem :P ) I'll probably go back to a more normal distribution of:

GBA: 20%

Xbox: 70%

PC: 10%

I keep throwing that PC in there because I'm still trying to finish the original Neverwinter Nights campaign. I've completed both expansion packs, but I just can't seem to stay interested in the original game long enough to beat it. One of these days...

I would say I'm:

80% Xbox (and of that, probably 70% on LIVE)

10% Gamecube

5% PS2

4% GBA

1% Those little self-contained atari 10-in-1 and Namco 5-in-1 do-hickeys.

0% PC (my PC is a P3 POS, and I have no interest in upgrading for gaming)

Carlos.

For me:

Internet PC Gaming - 50% (Mostly internet use)

Xbox - 45%

PS2&GC - 5%

This number fluctuates, because occasionally I'm on my Xbox more than my PC for gaming. The past few weeks has seen my interest in PC gaming increase (my old school FPS infatuation, Jedi Academy, my upcoming upgrades). Which would explain my abscence on Live.

80% PC

10% GBA

8% Xbox (99% Live)

2% Cube

The high PC percentage is mostly due to the fact that my wife loves to play Age of Mythology. Now that we have two computers that will run it we've been playing quite a bit. On top of that I've felt compelled to play through Tron 2.0 for the fifth time, and I'm trying to put some time into Freedom Fighters.

Free time to play games:

70% GC

15% GBA

12% PS2

3% XBOX

That's out of the free time I get to play games. I would say my free time is divided like this.

Free Time:

95% paying attention to girlfriend

2% playing games

3% watching TV and talking on forums about not having enough time to play videogames ;)

75% Xbox (90% Live)

10% PS2

10% GBA

5% GC

That's as of right this minute. The numbers will fluctuate according to game release. I moved my Cube upstairs, so it doesn't see much gametime, but it was about 50% when I was recently playing so much P.N.03. The GBA gets a lot of time when my daughter's having trouble sleeping or I ride the subway. If I get on an SSX3 or NFS:U kick, the PS2 gets a workout. But every night seems to find me playing some RS3, even out with the public! My offline Xbox title of the moment is BG&E.

On average for me:

PC: 35%

Xbox: 25%

PS2: 25%

GC: 10%

GBA: 5%

It fluctuates heavily though. My moods change quite a bit so my gaming habits follows along with that.

60% Cube

40% PC

If I had a souped-up computer I'd be on the comp mostly. I'm a PC gamer through and through, but I must say I love my Cube.

Very interesting numbers, seems to be a lot more XBox/GC playing than either PC or PS2. Might be the games out right now though, you never know.

From Ruffneck:

Internet PC Gaming - 50% (Mostly internet use)

So are we including surfing for p0rn in our calculations Ruff? I might need to alter my distribution:

* 99% PC Online

* .1% PC Offline

* .7% Xbox

* .15% PS2

* .05% GBA

:rock

I find it very hard to quantify how I divide my playtime. The reason being that I'm a very single-minded gamer. When I start playing a game, I play only that one game until I either beat it or I grow sick of it. I don't play a several titles at a time if I can help it. As a result, there are times when I may go several weeks or even a month without touching one of my systems.

For instance, right now, almost all of my time is being spent with my Xbox. Towards the beginning of the month, I started playing through the Xbox edition of Grand Theft Auto III, which took me a little over a week to finish. Once I was done with that, I played through the amazing Beyond Good & Evil and that took me a week to beat as well. Now, I'm playing through Vice City, and once I'm done with that, I'll play the Xbox edition of Silent Hill 2. If I can squeeze it in, I'll go a few rounds on the Xbox copy of Soulcalibur II I borrowed from a friend last weekend.

As you can see, the Xbox is getting all the lovin' right now, aside from my usual weekend bouts of Super Smash Bros. and Pac-Man Vs. with my friends. Yet, back in December, I all but ignored Microsoft's behemoth of a console. I spent most of that month playing Jak II on the PS2 and Viewtiful Joe for the GameCube. And Lord knows that when I got my PS2 back in the fall, both the Cube and the Box got the shaft for over a month as I caught up on some of the great games for that system, such as the Ratchet and Clank games, Rez and Silent Hill 3, and Contra: Shattered Soldier.

I suppose the best way to do this would be to look at how many games I've purchased for each system in the past year and go by that. In that case, the GameCube and the Xbox come in with a tie followed by the PS2, then the GameBoy Advance. If you really want some hard numbers, I suppose this will suffice.

• GameCube: 35%
  • Xbox: 35%
  • Playstation 2: 25%
  • GameBoy Advance: 5%

Like I said, those are just rough figures. But hey, no one said that this was a scientific poll, right?

Right now its breaking out to be 90% xbox and 10% PC.

As more games come out this year I'll be leaning back towards 50/50 or even 70/30 PC.

This is a tough question because it really depends on what games are out. Currently the Gamecube is getting the least love but when I look at the games that I have beaten as opposed to the ones left unfinished, there's far more GC games seen through to completion than on any other current gen console. Plus if I get a new GBA game that interests me it spikes incredibly since I play GBA games at work when there are enough people for me to spread my attention like that. :)

Right now I'd say:

70% XBox

25% Playstation 2

5% Gamecube

0% GBA

Only because most of the games I have bought recently (BG&E, PoP, The Sims, LOTR: RotK, etc, etc) have been for the XBox. Its just my system of "choice" right now.

When I start playing a game, I play only that one game until I either beat it or I grow sick of it. I don't play a several titles at a time if I can help it.

That pretty much describes me as well. If I buy more than one game at a time, I tend to lose focus and I find it hard to "get into" any of them.

Thats why I try to do things one at a time. When I finish a game, I let myself buy a new one. I find it hard to justify new purchases when I've got unfinished games sitting on the shelf. Now that I've got all three consoles, the problem is more difficult to deal with as I have unfinished games on all three platforms:

XBOX

GTA Double Pack

Splinter Cell

GR:IT

Hitman 2

GameCube

Eternal Darkness

Dead to Rights

Rogue Leader

PS2

Half-Life

Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

When a new LIVE game comes out I end up playing that almost exclusively. Now that there is a sort of lull in Live games, I'm going back and trying to finish the above games. Since Deus Ex 2 is out, I'll probably go back to finish the first (which is a haul) and that means a lot of love for the PS2 is on the way.

Right now its:

XBOX - 95% (almost 100% Live)

Cube - 5%

PS2 - Zilch

In a few weeks it'll be:

PS2 - 90%

XBOX - 5%

Cube - 5%

Cheers.

J.

I'm a very single-minded gamer. When I start playing a game, I play only that one game until I either beat it or I grow sick of it. I don't play a several titles at a time if I can help it.
If I buy more than one game at a time, I tend to lose focus and I find it hard to "get into" any of them. Thats why I try to do things one at a time. When I finish a game, I let myself buy a new one.

Man, I wish I had the mind-set to do this. The closest I've come is to not allow myself to start a new story-driven game until I've finished another. So, no Prince of Persia until I'm done with BG&E. Of course, that's a brand-new resolution that hasn't had much temptation yet.

I'm that same way, one game until it is DONE (one way or the other). Really pisses my wife off when it isn't a game she wants to watch, cuz I won't stop until satisfied.

J.Fo and others, I mean general time, not specific to now or last week. Like over the past year (or this console gen) what have you found yourself playing?

I was thinking about this because around a decade ago I was a HUGE PC player, almost wouldn't touch a console. I loved the depth and adult nature of PC games, RPGs especially. These days I'm surprised that the PC gets very little love and the consoles have pretty much taken over for me. If I could add a USB keyboard and mouse to my Xbox, I might not ever upgrade my PC again (well, that's a lie but you catch my drift)

I have just recently gotten back in to PC gaming and would say my mix is something like the following:

80% Xbox (about 90% Live)

20% PC (100% of that spent on Dark Age of Camelot)

As you can see, there is something about online gaming that I just love.

Currently, 80% Xbox, 10% GBA, 10% Saturn. It's been that way for a couple of months, since I weaned myself off of Civ3 & Champ Manager 4. Haven't fired up the Dreamcast for a wee while, need to sort that out soon.

Over the past year:

40% Xbox

40% Gamecube

15% GBA and GBPlayer

5% PS2

and 10% all other gaming activities because you've got to put in %110 to anythig you really care about ;)

Mine would be:

75% Xbox (most of that Live, of course ;))

15% GBA SP (which I play a lot "on the go", but when I'm home I end up neglecting it sometimes :oops:)

9 1/2% PC (with online BF 1942 taking up most of that, with Half-Life a distant second)

1/2% GC aka The Dust Collector (haven't played this thing since Zelda: Wind Waker, which I got on release day :shock:)

...there you have it.