LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Robot Monkey

Given up on PC gaming?

Have you given up on PC gaming?  

1. 1. Have you given up on PC gaming?

• Yes, I prefer the console experience.
    • Yes, I can't keep up with constant PC upgrades/patches/tweaking.
    • Yes, I own a Mac. ;)
    • Yes, except for a handful of games.
    • Yes ... until I get a new computer.
    • No, I constantly upgrade.
    • No, I do what I can to run games on my PC.
    • No, but I might have to.
    • No, and it doesn't require constant upgrades and tweaking.

I enjoy PC gaming. However, I can't afford to keep it constantly upgraded. I'll do what I can to keep playing but I have to pass up a good chunk of high-quality titles before I'll dump more money into a system.

I built a computer just over a year ago and put in some hefty hardware to satisfy my game cravings for awhile. It will likely be several years before I make any major upgrades.

Yes, I prefer the console experience. I'm also too cheap to constantly upgrade my computer. In fact my home PC will not run anything newer than Diablo II (and even that is pushing it). But I really do prefer the console experience. Ass on couch, full on surround sound, big display. Oh yeah.

Effectively, yes. Games I play on the PC are few & far between. It's not that I don't like play PC games or dislike the "experience", I just hate the constant patch/driver upgrade path.

For me, it's much easier to kick back on the couch with a beer & play on the XBox or Dreamcast.

Oh shit, I meant to vote for "Yes, I can't keep up with constant PC upgrades/patches/tweaking." but I hit the view results button and nullified my vote.

-Absolutely! My sound card was out for a long while and I couldn't find time to troubleshoot it, but I finally did recently, and since I've started PC gaming again I realize how much I love it. I actually just got a nice new comfortable leather computer chair. :D

-I'm looking forward to getting a new graphics card in the near future, in time to play the new Half Life and Battlefield games.

-Also at some point this year I plan on purchasing an HDTV and I ideally it'll work well with my PC so I can migrate my PC gaming to my couch. I am really a hybrid PC/Console gamer. I love'em both. With PC gaming I LIKE that you can patch, troubleshoot and tweak. I don't like when a developer uses these tools to facilitate thier lazy work habits. But I enjoy the freedom and Malleability PC's and PC gaming provides. With consoles I feel very much locked down and in the publishers control. I may also be lucky in that I have had very few conflicts when dealing with PC games. Lucky,... or good. ;)

-And as far as upgrading, I built my PC about 3 years ago and it is still very adequate for just about any current PC game. A simple graphics card update could easily hold me for a few more years. Though I'm likely to up grade the board, memory and processor in short time as well,.... not because I need too, but rather because I enjoy doing these things. That's what it comes down to, I don't look at upgrading, troubleshooting and tweaking as probelms with PC's, I enjoy doing them, and it feels good that I can do these things adeptly.

-Yep, I like PC gaming! :green:

I CONSTANTLY upgrade. Much to the dismay of my wallet and Cathartic. He knows what I'm talking about. --Ruffneck

You're damn right I do! :?

I still upgrade my PC when I need to (and sometimes when I don't). I don't game quite as much as I used to, but I still enjoy a good FPS or RPG on the PC. I'm still waiting for a good, new, turn-based strategy game. MOO3 severely disappointed me, so I feel jipped. Some group of developers out there had better satisfy me soon, damnit.

Originally posted by Cathartic@Jan 23 2004, 11:58 AM

...MOO3 severely disappointed me, so I feel jipped. Some group of developers out there had better satisfy me soon, damnit.

OT, but did you give Galactic Civilizations a try? I'm playing it now and am enjoying it. You can download a (short) demo and even purchase and download the full game from the site.

-j

I have given up on it for 2 reasons:

1. Constant upgrading

2. Console gaming is more relaxing to me. When PC gaming, I had to sit in a regular office type chair 2 feet from the screen. Console gaming is now on a very comfy couch on a 65" screen. Its much more enjoyable for me.

I used to re-build my PC about once a year, but after I got laid off in '02 and taking a job that pays considerably less than I used to make, I've had to move to the "Tweak if you can, and upgrade only when absolutely necessary" camp.

With the release of the "Far Cry" demo, I feel/fear I may be at the upgrade point again, after not doing anything with the rig since October 2002.

I voted "Yes, except for a handful of games."

Those games being Half-Life and BF 1942.

For me, it just comes down to ergonomics. Playing with a kb/mouse SUCKS big time. FYI, I recently got a Belkin nostromo n52 speedpad, which helps a LOT, but it's still not as intuitive as a console's controller, IMHO.

I was built for console gaming. 8)

I play PC Games still, but not like I used to, there's just nothing much on it that appeals to me anymore really. PC game's are rather stuck in a rut of FPS, RTS, and RPG, with the ocassional quality Sim/Tycoon thrown in.

FPSs get rather boring for the most part, and there really hasn't been any good ones worth playing for a long time with possibly the exception of COD (I am anxiously awaiting Half Life though). They used to be a lot of fun online, but the novelty has worn off quite a bit and I just don't play them anymore.

I've completely burnt out on RTS games as I used to play A LOT of them from 95 - 2002ish. The genre has stagnated somewhat, and many of the newer ones (War3, Generals, RON) just haven't had IT for me.

RPGs I just don't like.

As for upgrading, I try to keep up, but I do it sparingly. It depends on what you want out of your games. If you want them to run at a playable speed, and aren't all that concerned about the games having the latest wizbang effects at the highest resolutions, a PC can play games with minimal upgrading for quite some time. For the longest time I was a few generations behind with my Videocard, but the games worked and I never had to shell out $600.

The peak for PC gaming for me was about the time of Sim Golf. Yeah. I went through a bevy of games right after I purchased my laptop including Majesty, Sheep, Age of Mythology, Zoo Tycoon, Black and White, Disciples 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3/4, Warcraft 3, multiple Diablo and Diablo 2 outings, The Sims and the various expansions available at the time - and many, many more. For awhile I was buying more PC games than console.

Then I ran into THE ultimate roadblock: Divine Divinity. I paid $40 or 50 for this flaming "turd" of a game after reading the rave reviews on Gamespot. I was in awe it had been overlooked by me since I was gobbling up every decent RPG/strategy game within reach. I got the game home, proudly installed it and was absolutely appalled at the shoddy quality of the game. Horrendous character animations that were glitchy, poor story, awful dialogue and voice overs, the game was a trainwreck and looked worse than Diablo 2. *sigh* I haven't bought a PC game since (well one exception - the Warcraft expansion - but that's it - I swear).

Also my laptop can't keep up with the new games anymore. Warcraft 3 was pushing it to the limit and it struggled and coughed on Morrowind (which was buggy anyway). I did find that for all the money I saved from NOT buying PC games I was able to sink more into console games so that's what I've been doing. Also, most of the PC games I have wanted are also available for consoles (Prince of Persia, Lord of the Rings: RotK, Beyond Good and Evil) and since these games fare better with controllers than mice, well... although I'm up for a good game of Diablo 2 any day.... ANY DAY. I still love that game *sniff*

I havent played PC games in a long while. I used to play a lot of stuff. Starcraft, Links, Warcraft 2, X-wing vs Tie, X-wing Alliance, Space quest/ kings quest series, and a bunch more. I am big adventure game fan for the most part. Its too bad most of that stuff is a thing of the past

capt

Put me down for a Mac vote.

Even though I'll most likely get a PC this year - I probably won't use it for gaming.

Though I would get the Xbox tunneling program :)

Its too bad most of that stuff is a thing of the past

I hope you've checked out the KQ1 and 2 VGA remakes that Tierra Entertainment worked up Joey. Faaaaabulous.

And for anybody who doesn't know, they're doing Quest For Glory 2 right now!

Tierra Homepage