LCVG

The Ur-Quan Masters

Chris F

Covak mentioned SC2 in a separate thread, and it reminded me I wanted to post this:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

What is it?

From the page:

The project started in August 2002, when Toys For Bob released the partially ported sources of Star Control 2 3DO version to the fan community. Our goal is to port this wonderful game to current personal computers and operating systems. It is and will remain 100% free of charge, and anyone can contribute to the project and thus help make it even better.

I've played it, and can say that they've done a fine job with "The Ur-Quan Masters". I was a huge fan of Star Control 2 back in the day. Being able to play it once again is quite a thrill. I had always hoped that someone would revamp the game to run on modern PC's.

Both the game itself and "Super Melee!" seem to be fully functional. As I recall, I only hit one glitch while playing the game which caused me to lock up. Aside from that, things ran pretty smoothly. The voice acting (yes, they've added voiceovers to the dialogue with the various races) is surprisingly decent. After a while, I did begin to get a bit impatient and would skip my way through the spoken dialogue, just speed-reading the subtitles. (Of course, I remember most of the storyline from the first time I played - new players of the game likely won't experience the same impatience).

All in all, a great remake and must have for true SC2 fans. Thanks for re-posting this, Chris.

ALL HAIL THE EMPIRE OF CATHARTIC!.... errm, I mean the Alliance of Free Stars! Yeah, that's it...

they've added voiceovers to the dialogue with the various races

Actually, the 3DO version of the game, which is regarded as the best, had all the voices in it. The Ur-Quan Masters is basically a port of the 3DO game to the PC.

I think you can also get the CD quality music from the site as well, but I haven't checked recently.