LCVG

Motion sickness and FPS Games

Bruce B

Damn I feel like such a wuss when this happens but when I go to plat FPS games after a little while I get motion sickness. I have gotten to the point that when I get a new FPS game I have to slowly work my way into playing, 10 minutes one night, 15 minutes the next and then maybe after a week my body must adjust and I can play as long as I want. Is there anyone else out there that this happens too? Any suggestions on how to work around this? Maybe I should start taking dramamine before playing? :P

It's never happened to me, but I've got a few friends that it does. One friend can't even watch someone play FPS's, if he does, it's 5 minutes max and then he's praying to the porcelain god.

My other friends are in your same situation, can only play for a limited time and then have to stop. The only thing that helps them is if the game will allow you to turn off bobbing. This way when the character is moving the rest of the screen is not jumping around. Of course, this doesn't help my one friend, so it may not help you either, but it may be worth a shot.

One of the first things you can try is sitting further back from the screen or using a smaller screen. By allowing you to "compose" the screen within the context of the room, your chances of motion sickness will be reduced.

Hmmm, never considered that but it kind of makes sense that if there are more things in your peripheral vision that it might help to lessen the effect. I sit about 15' away but the tv is 65". I'm trying to work my way again into playing R63, so if you see me and think that I am camping, I'm really just trying to keep my dinner down.

This doesn't happen to me with current games but really old games that ran in really low resolutions effect me. Like Doom or wolfenstein 3d or quake. For me its the combination of the big monitor and the very very low resolutions. I do find if I back up and not sit so close it helps but it still isn't very good.

Originally posted by Bruce B@Jan 25 2004, 01:14 PM

Hmmm, never considered that but it kind of makes sense that if there are more things in your peripheral vision that it might help to lessen the effect. I sit about 15' away but the tv is 65". I'm trying to work my way again into playing R63, so if you see me and think that I am camping, I'm really just trying to keep my dinner down.

A 65" RPTV could do it. If you have a smaller tube TV, try that.

Originally posted by Buck@Jan 25 2004, 01:09 PM

One friend can't even watch someone play FPS's, if he does, it's 5 minutes max and then he's praying to the porcelain god.

Actually watching someone else play worsens the effect. When you play the game yourself, you know which way you are going to turn, while when someone else plays you have no idea when the screen is going to move and it catches you off guard.

Descent is probably the only game that ever came close to making me slightly queasy, and thankfully that didn't last long for me, but it's nasty. You really don't have a proper means of orientation so it's just like spinning the room around you endlessly. They should have marketed it as a vertigo simulator :P.

I'm trying to work my way again into playing R63, so if you see me and think that I am camping, I'm really just trying to keep my dinner down.

:lmfao:

My g/f cannot watch any FPS. After about 5 minutes she is very sick to her stomach. The only game I ever got motion sickness from was the Alien Trilogy on the PS1. I think that had to do with it having a really shitty frame-rate, or maybe the game just sucked so bad I got sick. ;)

-Dean-

I don't have it so much with FPS as I do games like Super Mario 64, Spyro and their buddies. The swinging camera angles give me raging headaches. This really sucks as I enjoy playing them. I asked my eye doctor and he said that some people who have the condition astigmatism that is uncorrected can be very sensitive to this. Also movies that have severe camera angle changes that swing back and forth can cause this.

Astigmatism is a condition that makes it difficult for the lens of your eye to focus quickly to adjust to the wild swing of what you are trying to view. The lens is trying to play keep up with what you are seeing and this causes the strain that makes you queasy or gives headaches.

I am sure this is not the case for everyone ..... but maybe a few could use an updated eye exam.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Jan 26 2004, 04:20 AM

Descent is probably the only game that ever came close to making me slightly queasy, and thankfully that didn't last long for me, but it's nasty. You really don't have a proper means of orientation so it's just like spinning the room around you endlessly. They should have marketed it as a vertigo simulator :P.

Same here, except I never was able to go back to it. Descent completely screwed with my head.

I have to admit that I get sick to my stomach whenever I play FPS. However, my little twist is that I can play multiplayer mode all day long and not get sick - I only get sick when playing the solo campaign.

I first figured out I had a problem when I started playing Halo. I couldn't go more than 30 minutes without being forced to quit. It got to where I just took 2 motion sickness pills about 30 minutes before any of my single player sessions - now that is dedication. :D

Perfect Dark made me rather ill, partly down to the actual look and colour palette of some of the levels. Things like pillars would blend into walls of the same design; I very often couldn't see a blatant route to take. I hate that because everything merged into one giant slap of a horrible graphic on screen. Alien vs. Predator on the Jaguar had the same problem in a few places (in the nesting area).

Daniel

Out of all the FPS shooters I've played (from Descent to Doom to Half-Life to Quake to Goldeneye to Halo on either PC or console), the only FPS that ever gave me motion sickness was the Xbox version of Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

I literally had to stop playing the game because I could feel the nausea coming on. The game did have bobbing in it but I've played other games that have that without feeling sick. I'm not sure what it was. The game was fun while I played it but it wasn't worth getting sick over. Now, if we're talking Halo here, I'd be at the doctor getting some kind of motion sickness patch.

My wife got sick when we were playing multiplayer Duke Nukem on the N64. It was so bad, she had to go lie down. It's funny too because she doesn't get any other kind of motion sickness. She can read while riding in a car (that will instantly make me sick) and is fine going on boats without medication (while I am the human chum machine).

lol....... J.Fo and I Use to have friend who loved to game with. But his Sucubus of a girlfriend gets very sick from perty much any 3-D video game, she eve got sick during the "Perfect Storm", so basicly shes says he not allowed to play video games when shes around, which is all the time. Since he's now just a hallow shell of his former self he aggred to that.

So now when Fo and I get together every once and a while when playing FBS one of us will spin around in a cricle or run all over the place and the other will chime in with the throw up sound effect to make fun of her.

• 6 years later...

So now I think I know why I gave up on Half Life 2 the first time I tried it. Motion sickness!

This time around it's even worse. I've read that the FoV on this game is very narrow, but I'm not sure why that would cause nausea. I can play other FPS games all day and all night, but HL2 just made me so woozy I had to lay down or I was gonna hurl.

I'll give it one more shot another day, but I may just have to call it quits for good and move on. It's so strange because I just played through Mirror's edge without any problem whatsoever, when I've read others have had motion sickness problems with it.

Carlos.

I've had it in a few games, but I can recover from some of them

Mostly it's caused by a disconnect between input from the eye, and the inner ear. The more dramatic the visual movement relative to the stillness of the head, the worse the effect. There are ways around it, but for most people it's just a hassle that has to be avoided.

The more stuff is going on in the field of vision (especially if there are things like hands and or weapons attached to a virtual body) the worse it gets as the speed of events increases. The brain gets confused because the video stimulus implies massive amounts of motion, while the inner ear indicates nothing is happening at all. Which is actually Worse than normal motion sickness in terms of severity of effect.

I'd say the people who suffer from motion sickness have a primarily visual modality, which means they judge balance more with their eyes than their inner ear. As to fixing that, I couldn't really say for certain but a possible solution is to turn framerates down, and or reduce the speed of the game graphics and disable any "bob/weave" effects.