LCVG

Strider 2 on PSOne

secretvampire

I had NO idea this game ever came out until a couple of weeks ago, and when I found out it came bundled with the original arcade Strider, I was sooooo all over it. Picked it up cheap on Ebay. The second one is pretty good...a little easy at times, but some great boss battles, and admittedly, I haven't played all the way through yet so it may get harder. The arcade port of Strider seems pretty spot on as far as I can remember, it has been so long since I played it. Anyone else ever pick up this title?

My original Playstation library has always been kinda small, and finding this made me wonder what other treasures there are out there that I missed out on the first time around!

I recently sold my Playstation and games. Strider 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics were the only games I kept, to be used in an emulated state. I haven't finished Strider 2, mainly because I spent the time playing through Strider, my all-time favorite arcade game.

I don't know about yours but my discs are messed up. The disc labeled 'Strider' is actually the sequel and the 'Strider 2' disc is the original.

Fun game, especially so because of the memories it brings back.

I don't know about yours but my discs are messed up. The disc labeled 'Strider' is actually the sequel and the 'Strider 2' disc is the original.

Yeah, from what I've read, this happened on all copies that were pressed. Capcom must have cut corners in the QA department or something! ;)

I have maybe 10 or so Playstation titles...

Castlevania Chronicles

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Super Puzzle Fighter II

Soul Blade

Metal Gear Solid

Einhander

Street Fighter EX+ Alpha

Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy VII

Strider 2

I would love more suggestions on stuff to pick up for the PSOne...well, at least stuff that doesn't have Sega Saturn counterparts heh.

I don't see a copy of Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy Chronicles there. I imagine playing Chrono Trigger and Cross back to back would be a delicious nugget of RPG goodness.

Lunar: Silver Star Story was a good little title too.

But to be honest, the PSOne is the least favorite of my systems. I bought a lot of games and very,very few of them ever justified the system to me.

Castlevania Chronicles

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Super Puzzle Fighter II

Soul Blade

Metal Gear Solid

Einhander

Street Fighter EX+ Alpha

Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy VII

Strider 2

You had my heart up until you said Final Fantasy :P

You had my heart up until you said Final Fantasy

Hahahah...well, I will defend Final Fantasy Tactics to the death. But FF7 was the last one I ever played (and dropped about 3/4ths of the way through) and I'll never touch any of the sequels. I pretty much bought Anthology for the nostalgia factor, and then never played it. Such is life.

Are the Chrono titles the same kind of battle system as FF? I've sworn off the Japanese-style turn based RPGs forever...I find no joy in clicking the "attack" command over and over anymore. I still like a good action RPG like Balder's Gate: DA, or Diablo, or Sword of Mana....or even the "real-time" system of Knights of the Old Republic which I just adored.

I have heard a lot of positive things about the Lunar series...what are they like?

I'll never touch any of the sequels.

Final Fantasy IX is a DAMN FINE game! It's more of a throwback to old-school FF games, not these new emo, half naked dude Final Fantasy games coming out.

Great story and characters.

But I love the FF series to death. Even the ones with half naked dudes in it. *sigh*

I'm sure the stories are fine and such, I just can't be amused by the battle system anymore...and let's face it, you spend most of the games in battles! Just not for me anymore I guess...

I've heard the Playstation Contra games are to be avoided like the plague, which is too bad, since I love all the other games. Are there any other good arcade ports out there (like Strider) that I missed out on?

Chrono Trigger is like the FF series, but more interesting than most of them if you ask me. The battles are done FF style, but they play quick and you can at least see the enemies on the screen before fighting them.

Chrono Cross is brilliant though, the combat system is again, the same idea, but the magic system is complicated (not overly) and quite good. There's a pseudo-adventure game aspect to some parts and the end boss fight to get the "best" ending is very, very clever and a nice change of pace.

Finally, I would like to point out that I haven't enjoyed a FF game since 7. In that spirit of things I am emphatically advising you to avoid IX, since I got bored of that one eventually, which rarely happens to me in RPGs. The reason was the battle system, which is/was absolutely atrocious. It was way, way, way too slow, even on the max speed setting. I only finished it via force of will.

No offense, Chris, but then you like Clone Wars :green:.

I'm right with you, Mark. The last FF game I got any enjoyment out of was VII. I'm leaving Tactics out of the mix because it's a whole different beast, and one of my personal all-time favorite games, right along with Chrono Trigger.

I'm really wishing that I hadn't gotten rid of Chrono Cross since I never got around to finishing it. I left off tracking down and fighting the eight (?) dragons. I suppose I might one day pick up the game and finish it up on my PC just to see how it ends.

This discussion has me itching to finish the story. I still don't know what the connection between Lynx and Serge is. I have a feeling that Lynx is not the ultimate evil. Does Serge ever meet up with Kid again? All of these questions are still unanswered for me.

I made a big mistake selling that game. Now I have to buy it again.

Oh, and please don't answer these questions if you know the answers. I'll either get another copy or find the answers on the 'Net.

• 2 weeks later...

Strider 2 is rather fun, with a really 'interesting' 2d/3d look, but I'd only say it looks so easy because the original is absolutely viciously hard. I got this a while back too, and found I can't even get past the end of level 2 any more. I used to be able to reach the forest Boss in the arcade, but that was like 15+ years ago.