LCVG

Is anyone overly sensitive to controller vibration

Angry the Clown

Bruce B's thread about those who suffer from motion sickness when playing a first person shooter inspired me to ask this little question. I tend to be rather over sensitive to controller vibration and was curious if anyone was the same. I can often end up with a distinct lack of feeling in my hands for a few seconds after play, some games even resulting in my hands briefly shaking. I found Project Gotham 2 to be an especially nasty offender for instance.

Am I just an oddball, or am I not alone? :)

Daniel

As Carlucci noted, I've gotten that only from the mower. It happens when I grip the bar really, really hard.

I don't have much to offer, but I am just wondering how long it's going to take before this thread heads for the gutter. I figure it'll be Jay, Joel, or Chris who accomplishes this feat :green:.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Jan 27 2004, 08:00 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Jan 27 2004, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Pharmboy@Jan 27 2004, 08:54 AM

... I figure it'll be Jay, Joel, or Chris who accomplishes this feat :green:.

Jay?! Jay??!! You must mean Other Jay. I'm a class act. 8)

And no, I have no issues with controller vibration. Chainsaws, weedwhackers, random orbit sanders, and such, yes.

-j[/b]

I wonder if Batman has a problem with vibrating things when he is out seducing criminals?

Forgot about me. ;)

-Dean-

I confess that I am overly sensitive to controller vibration. When I was younger I could game for hours at a stretch, and I was ready to play a new game right after I finished. Now it seems like I can only game for a short while before I'm spent, and I also need some recovery time. I find that a topical delaying agent helps me to game for longer periods and keeps me from "finishing" prematurely.

The only times my hands go numb like that is when I'm operating some heavy duty sanders. Most likely, the nerves in your hands are very sensitive. Unless they go numb for no reason, just randomly, then I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

You have quite a few options:

1) Turn off vibration in the game (I think quite a few games have the ability to disable this feature).

2) Get a controller that doesn't have the vibration feature built-in (this makes #1 moot). There must be some wireless controllers that do not have vibration for battery life reasons (or that have a switch on them to turn off vibration to conserve the batteries) so if you were always jonesing for one of those, now you have an excuse.

3) I'm not sure what system(s) you have, but you could also get a controller adaptor that allows using controllers from other systems (which may not support vibration or have plug-in vibration modules that can be left out).

4) If you want to have some vibration but less than you do now, you could try out different controllers. They can't all have the exact same amount of vibration.

I remember when systems/games first started having the vibration feature, it always used to kind of freak me out. Now I honestly couldn't tell you if the games I play use vibration as I'm so used to it now.

I was just writing about this last night for a piece that will appear in EGM. I spoke with a licensed physical therapist about exercises and stretches one can do in order to improve hand strength and reduce numbness / cramping. She designed a routine specifically for chronic gamers.

I'll be scanning the exercises soon and will post the scans here for those who want to do some videogame-focused hand exercises. :D

and maybe Allen can add some tips from his dvd-focused hand exercises...

Can I get some assistance from Capt. Obvious here? Why not turn the vibration off if it affects you? It seems that would allow one to enjoy longer sessions without the bother of premature ejection of the game in question.

No, no problems on this end. I did get a little annoyed with some of the constant vibration in PGR2, though. Using the shakes to dictate the level of grip is very cool, but the constant driving-in-a-straight-line type stuff needs to go.

It happens when I grip the bar really, really hard.

Mark, you sure like your bar...

Can I get some assistance from Capt. Obvious here? Why not turn the vibration off if it affects you? It seems that would allow one to enjoy longer sessions without the bother of premature ejection of the game in question.

I don't think this is a "complaint" about controller vibrations Bryan. I believe Dan is curious to see if there are others that are affected in the same way by constant vibration during gameplay not so much saying that he wishes it weren't there.