MYSTIC RIVER

SEABISCUIT

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS

DIRTY PRETTY THINGS

FINDING NEMO

IN AMERICA

LOST IN TRANSLATION

I think Mystic River and Lost in Translation are King's strongest opponents in that order. Seabiscuit is the outsider by a large margin. There was a funny audible gasp of "huh?" when Sigourney Weaver read out Seabiscuit for best picture. It's Jackson's strongest year of the three chances each film has had now, so we'll see. I think it'll do it this year. It's time to reward him for the achievement.

Nice to see Howard Shore nominated again (twice no less), I agree. Last year everything was uncertain as the Academy was considering it's "no sequel scores" plan, which was ridiculous but was the reason The Two Towers missed a score nomination. Thankfully they have revised their stupid decisions.

ROTK leads with 11 then. There is an odd thing though, if you look at the list here (where I copied the above from) you'd see that for Sound Editing, Finding Nemo, Master and Commander and Pirates of the Caribbean take the list. Now look to the printed ballot from the Oscar site here, and ROTK is ion place of Nemo on Sound editing. I believe the former listing to be correct however.

Daniel

Happy to see ROTK get its dues.

Really happy to see Lost in Translation get so many major nominations.

Surprised and delighted to see "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" from A Mighty Wind get nominated for Best Original Song (and no Randy Newman, Sting, Phil Collins, Bono, etc. dreck get a nomination!)

VERY EXCITED to see Mr. Bill Murray finally get a nomination for Best Actor!!! I hope he can pull it off, and they don't give it to one of the traditional winners like Ben Kingsley (though I love him to death) or Sean Penn just because.

EDIT: Oops! It looks like some Sting dreck DID get nominated, I didn't realize that one of the songs from Cold Mountain was his. Boooooooo!

I seriously see Murray winning as it goes.... It just feels right.

EDIT: Oops! It looks like some Sting dreck DID get nominated, I didn't realize that one of the songs from Cold Mountain was his. Boooooooo!

Hehehe. Indeed. I'd be delighted if 'The Triplets of Belleville' won for the song as it's such an incredibly catchy tune. 'Into the West' could be the one to take it though.

Daniel

I'd be delighted if 'The Triplets of Belleville' won for the song as it's such an incredibly catchy tune.

What exactly is it? I haven't heard of the film, and who sings the song?

I think they still owe Bill Murray something for his performance in Rushmore.

Agreed, I was really surprised when he got shafted that year.

I was really hoping that Andy Serkis would have gotten a nomination for Gollum, but I guess technology loses again.

Also agreed...sadly, it's still just too ahead of its time right now. Someday...

BEST PICTURE

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

LOST IN TRANSLATION

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

MYSTIC RIVER

SEABISCUIT

Cold Mountain completely shunned! Didn't expect Seabiscuit to make that.

Also just WONDERFUL to see Shore nominated for the ROTK score. I agree with Dan that it was just a stupid decision last year which caused The Two Towers to be overlooked.

Wanted to also mention that as much as I am a fan of Bill Murray, a huge fan in fact, (and I loved Lost in Translation!) I wish Scarlett Johansson would have gotten a best actress or at the very least a supporting actress nom. She was half of that performance and just as brilliant in the movie as Mr. Murray.

EDIT: Great to see Depp in there for Pirates also. One of his best performances.

What exactly is it? I haven't heard of the film, and who sings the song?

It's a wonderful animated film from France. It's not out on DVD in the US yet. It hit DVD here in the UK yesterday, aired on TV here over Christmas and could be found on the art house circuit theatrically last autumn. It should still be on in some art-house cinemas in the US, especially with it's Best Animated feature nomination. Matthieu Chedid did the song I believe.

Wanted to also mention that as much as I am a fan of Bill Murray, a huge fan in fact, (and I loved Lost in Translation!) I wish Scarlett Johansson would have gotten a best actress or at the very a supporting actress nom. She was half of that performance and just as brilliant in the movie as Mr. Murray.

Actually yes, this was a surprise that she gained nothing for Lost in Translation or Girl with the Pearl Earing from the Academy. She was strongly tipped for at least one of those. Pity...

Daniel

man that actor in a leading role is so hard to pick, i'd love to see Johnny Depp win it as his performance in Pirates was what made the movie so great for me. Yet I just adsolutely ADORE Bill Murray in Lost in Translation(and whoever said he was robbed with his Rushmore performance was right!).

Side note - I can't wait to see Bill playing a Jacques Cousteau like character in Wed Anderson's next picture.

Scarlett not getting nominated for LiT is pretty sad too.

I was very surprised by this omission. After getting TWO nominations at the Golden Globes, I thought she'd get some kind of Oscar nod.

Not too mention Scarlett looked GORGEOUS at the Golden Globes. I'm as much for the super model look as the next guy but I am a complete sucker for "cute". Especially a cute and just hopelessly adorable face and Scarlett has that. As does Charlize Theron who looked stunning when she accepted her award for Monster.

Now on the list of THROUGH THE STRATOSPHERE HOT and just drop dread beautiful is Diane Lane. She is awe-inspiring and completely drool worthy.

(Also on the subject of cute I have to mention Fran Walsh! I swear to god she was as cute as a button! I was suprised she even came up to the stage to accept the award for best song but when she did you just want to give her a hug cause shes so adorably shy.)

Do you all think that they should add an Ensemble Cast category? I really think the acting talent in ROTK is underrepresented, but it's tough to pick out one over the others. Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Bernard Hill, Viggo Mortensen and Frodo himself were all great.

And I'll be damned if Andy Serkis doesn't deserve a category of his own. but I suppose that acknowledging a 'digital character' could be a slippery slope.

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Jan 27 2004, 02:22 PM

Do you all think that they should add an Ensemble Cast category? I really think the acting talent in ROTK is underrepresented, but it's tough to pick out one over the others. Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Bernard Hill, Viggo Mortensen and Frodo himself were all great.

I think they should. I've felt that way ever since the solution to rewarding LA Confidential's cast was to give Kim Basinger an award. Not that she was bad, but if I had to pick one actor from that movie to give an Oscar to, it wouldn't have been her :)

Originally posted by stencil@Jan 27 2004, 05:14 PM

Also just WONDERFUL to see Shore nominated for the ROTK score. I agree with Dan that it was just a stupid decision last year which caused The Two Towers to be overlooked.

Meh. I want Danny Elfman to finally win an Oscar. It's about time.

I agree Josh...even though Big Fish wasn't his best work IMHO.

Originally posted by gigapower@Jan 27 2004, 05:38 PM

I agree Josh...even though Big Fish wasn't his best work IMHO.

True, but I think we all know the Academy doesn't work that way. If we could go back in time and give it to him for Edward Scissorhands or Nightmare Before Christmas or Batman, great. But that's not gonna happen.

Agreed on Elfman, I want to see him take an Oscar home as much as I do Thomas Newman (also nominated). I don't think ROTK is a shoe-in for taking score to be honest. I think this could be a win for Gabriel Yared who's Cold Mountain score has foolishly not been released to the public. I'd like to hunt down the Academy promo of the score if I can.

I am very pleasently surprised at the slew of nominations for City of God. If nothing else, it really deserves Editing. Keisha Castle-Hughes is another deserving surprise

Yes, and I do hope they honour some of these surprising, but incredibly worthy, nominees. I was glad to see some diversity here, but as we know, AMPAS can nominate these things just to say "right yes, we acknowledge you, but this is enough, we're not actually going to let you win the award".... Occasionally they do, and I'd like to see that become more frequent because they have to progress in this way to keep their credibility with the masses, not just in the industry, but with the public as well. Wins for lesser known films and performances do help get people who don?t stray from anything other than typical studio releases into cinemas to see what the fuss is about. We need more of this. Certainly in the performance categories, they?re going in the right direction this year.

I'm funny with all the LOTR cast. I don't believe any single performance in each film on its own is at all worthy of anything special. As a performance spread over the three films, sure, Astin put in a consistent and excellent take on Samwise and Bernard Hill stands out as Theoden too, in fact Hill is perhaps the only performance I would single out as excellent in the last two films on their individual merit.

As for the Serkis issue, I marvel at the achievement of a seamless blend performance and technology, but I've never felt there's anything astonishing in his actual take on Gollum/Smeagol. If I simply scrape away that marvel and just judge his actual approach for the character.....well, I love it a lot, but I do still have some issues with it from a performance point of view.

Daniel